Speaking Of Privacy

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Veteran member
Default Speaking Of Privacy

I'm relatively new to TOTV but I notice that adds for items I've googled (Like a Cobra hybrid golf club among other things) are displayed on this site. How the heck do they do that?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
I'm relatively new to TOTV but I notice that adds for items I've googled (Like a Cobra hybrid golf club among other things) are displayed on this site. How the heck do they do that?
I use G-Mail which is Google's e-mail program. It does the same thing. If I type "spam", all of a sudden there's a link up in the header for spam casserole. I think it's in their program and it recognizes key words. Those words are linked with ads that then appear in the header or off to the side. It's all part of modern day advertising,....kind of smart and sneaky, don't you think?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Default It's probably a google thing

I've seen this on other sites as a way of generating income and it's probably a google thing
Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Gold member

In the news lately, Google is now providing a way to opt out of some of their tracking of you. You'll probably have to 'Google' the words 'opt out' and no telling what will come up!
In reality, they're different!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graytop View Post
I use G-Mail which is Google's e-mail program. It does the same thing. If I type "spam", all of a sudden there's a link up in the header for spam casserole. I think it's in their program and it recognizes key words. Those words are linked with ads that then appear in the header or off to the side. It's all part of modern day advertising,....kind of smart and sneaky, don't you think?
Very sneaky and it makes you wonder what else the cyber world knows about us! I thought it was somehow a TOTV thing.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 PM

It is called "focussed marketing" and it is Google. They monitor where you have been and what you have been looking at and direct ads to you that should interest you. I don't believe they sell the information, just the service.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:44 PM

The tracking is done by Google and TOTV serves up ads from Google.
That's how TOTV makes money.
Try typing a search into Google and see how the ads that TOTV serves up change.
Try searching for TIVO in Google.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 PM

By sell the information I mean where you have been looking. They provide the service to the advertisers of directing the ads to people interested in the advertiser's product or service.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalloway6 View Post
It is called "focussed marketing" and it is Google. They monitor where you have been and what you have been looking at and direct ads to you that should interest you. I don't believe they sell the information, just the service.
...and there you go.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
It's a little complex how it works, but I'll try to explain what I can on how little I actually know from my years as a web administrator for a non-profit.

The ads are provided by a 3rd party and not the website (like TOTV) where you're seeing them appear. The website applies to the 3rd party to participate in return for a small commission (measured in cents) on each click you made on the ads. To get it on the website the 3rd party supplies code to the website administrator to place on their pages where the administrator chooses to add it or where dictated by the software used. Then either by a time period or by reaching a level of clicks, the 3rd party will pay the website their commission.

Now how does it work from your perspective? When you browse different areas of the web, most sites will place a mostly benign cookie on your computer that will somehow associate not to you personally, but to a source that stores your search and browsing preferences without actually identifying you. Of course and generally speaking their could be malicious sites out there, but there is no way for you to prevent them from trying to enter your computer except through good virus protection, firewall software and malware checkers like Malware Bytes for instance.

Now, your on the forum and you see the ads you're referring to. They get there by the code provided to the website when it searches the cookies on your computer, looks into the externally located data file with you're preferences that I previously mentioned. It will then chose, based on that information, ads to display which of course are what you are seeing and asking about.

One final note... again, what I'm explaining is based on my past experience and it shouldn't be taken as gospel as I could be off in what information I've provided. If you're confused, or don't understand what I explained, don't be alarmed! It is complex and I'm far from fully understand it myself! Furthermore, I'm not going to tell anyone not to worry about this though as that's not my place to do. However, I will say that I'm not personally worried about it on this site or any other site, at least no more worried than I would be without the ads present. Happy browsing and always keep your security software up to date!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
You're pretty much on mark here. Just realize that in a broader sense that it's not just Google. There are many marketing companies that do similarly and that there are instances where they can and will sell information. I'm not talking about Google or this site, but at other sites they could. It should be in their TOS or otherwise indicated if they're legit and/or honest!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
It's a little complex how it works, but I'll try to explain what I can on how little I actually know from my years as a web administrator for a non-profit.

The ads are provided by a 3rd party and not the website (like TOTV) where you're seeing them appear. The website applies to the 3rd party to participate in return for a small commission (measured in cents) on each click you made on the ads. To get it on the website the 3rd party supplies code to the website administrator to place on their pages where the administrator chooses to add it or where dictated by the software used. Then either by a time period or by reaching a level of clicks, the 3rd party will pay the website their commission.

Now how does it work from your perspective? When you browse different areas of the web, most sites will place a mostly benign cookie on your computer that will somehow associate not to you personally, but to a source that stores your search and browsing preferences without actually identifying you. Of course and generally speaking their could be malicious sites out there, but there is no way for you to prevent them from trying to enter your computer except through good virus protection, firewall software and malware checkers like Malware Bytes for instance.

Now, your on the forum and you see the ads you're referring to. They get there by the code provided to the website when it searches the cookies on your computer, looks into the externally located data file with you're preferences that I previously mentioned. It will then chose, based on that information, ads to display which of course are what you are seeing and asking about.

One final note... again, what I'm explaining is based on my past experience and it shouldn't be taken as gospel as I could be off in what information I've provided. If you're confused, or don't understand what I explained, don't be alarmed! It is complex and I'm far from fully understand it myself! Furthermore, I'm not going to tell anyone not to worry about this though as that's not my place to do. However, I will say that I'm not personally worried about it on this site or any other site, at least no more worried than I would be without the ads present. Happy browsing and always keep your security software up to date!
Great post SkyGuy ! Like yourself, I'm more concerned about keeping my security software up to date. I use Norton Internet Security and it seems to be very effective in keeping my computer clean.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post

Yikes! That is complicated! I guess I'll classify it in "The things I shouldn't ask" category. Thanks for the detailed reply.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Now that's something I can understand!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graytop View Post
Great post SkyGuy ! Like yourself, I'm more concerned about keeping my security software up to date. I use Norton Internet Security and it seems to be very effective in keeping my computer clean.
Thanks! You asked and I tried as best I can. I also use Norton, their 360 software. Not sure why it's called 360 though. Could it be because they they only protect 360 a year and take a vacation in a TV Lifestyle the other 5 or 6 days?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.