Speeding Crackdown in Sumter County

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage
Default Speeding Crackdown in Sumter County

Posted on Facebook by the Sumter County Sheriff's Office:

"The Sumter County Sheriff's Office is participating in a tough new speed enforcement blitz under the tagline: “Obey the Sign or Pay the Fine.” The intensified enforcement effort against speeding drivers underscores the severity of the problem both locally and across the nation. This initiative will take place beginning Monday, July 19th - July 24th."
Old 07-20-2021, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Posted on Facebook by the Sumter County Sheriff's Office:

"The Sumter County Sheriff's Office is participating in a tough new speed enforcement blitz under the tagline: “Obey the Sign or Pay the Fine.” The intensified enforcement effort against speeding drivers underscores the severity of the problem both locally and across the nation. This initiative will take place beginning Monday, July 19th - July 24th."
In other words, a fundraising blitz under the guise of "safety"
Old 07-20-2021, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Finally we hope!

The speed in TV has been creeping upward in recent years with most speeds 10+ mph over the limit on many major roads.

I support the focus on enforcement to the max.
Migrate from the current out of control speeding to near Waldo level enforcement.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Finally we hope!

The speed in TV has been creeping upward in recent years with most speeds 10+ mph over the limit on many major roads.

I support the focus on enforcement to the max.
Migrate from the current out of control speeding to near Waldo level enforcement.
Be careful what you wish for.

Again, I personally don't speed, so no dog in this fight either,------however.....

Someone going 45 or even 50 on BV or Morse (south of 466) doesn't bother me in the least---they will just pass me and be on their way, and they are not a safety hazard. It's the person going 25 that poses a greater risk---as everybody makes some lame move to get around them. They won't get into an accident, but they will cause them

The persons driving above the limit are, for the most part, younger with better vision and reflexes than average. I don't think a NASCAR champion would poses a risk regardless of their speed. The 90 year old who can't see above the steering wheel is the threat, so go ticket them when they drive 20.

I don't see why so many Villagers get their undies in a bunch when someone passes them. I get passed all the time when going the speed limit----SO WHAT
Old 07-20-2021, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Doc. I am getting a mental picture of you as leadfoot.

The only time in my life I ran afoul of the law, I was speeding. Well make that two times. I am terribly impatient way too much in my life but for some reason, not in a car. I am not sure why, but that is true of all of the drivers I know well. I have been annoyed in a car but NEVER full of rage.

I see nothing wrong with the sheriff's slowing down a few wild folks. Nothing wrong with that. It is their job and I am so weary of them being maligned. I like cops.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

The only time in my life I ran afoul of the law, I was speeding. Well make that two times. I am terribly impatient way too much in my life but for some reason, not in a car. I am not sure why, but that is true of all of the drivers I know well. I have been annoyed in a car but NEVER full of rage.

I see nothing wrong with the sheriff's slowing down a few wild folks. Nothing wrong with that. It is their job and I am so weary of them being maligned. I like cops.
Not at all, GG. Read my second line in post #4.

I just don't get all that excited when someone is driving faster than I or when I get passed. I do get annoyed when someone is driving quite slow, such as 55 in the left lane of an interstate, especially when they do it intentionally as a self appointed "speed cop".

Now, driving back from N. Carolina yesterday on I-95, there were two cars playing tag at about 95-100 mph. THEY should be caught and ticketed because traffic was moderate and they were weaving in and out and cutting other drivers off. Unfortunately, they passed right by a Georgia state trooper and he didn't even go after them.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:07 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Sumter County is large and they might have a few hours a day to spend here in TV but most likely will be on 441/27, 301, 42, and then down around Bushnell and beyond. They don't have enough cars to be set up all over The Villages although they should have them but if taxes go up to buy more cars there starts a another round of complaints.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Sammy Hagar..........

I Can't Drive 55 - YouTube
Old 07-20-2021, 10:49 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,072 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So says the man who obviously never wore the uniform, or had to pull the dead 8 year-old out from under the speeding SUV, whose driver was in a hurry to get to a pedicure appointment.

Law enforcement agencies do not use enhanced enforcement campaigns as "fund raisers." The sheriff certainly does not get to keep revenue generated through traffic citations.

Laws, and rules, are there for a reason. And, yes...safety is a big part of their existence. Ignoring laws, simply because someone may not be posing a threat in a particular snapshot of a moment, is ignorant. What's next? Is driving while impaired OK as long as you don't kill anyone? Is stealing OK if you really need the money? Is assault OK if that guy really pushed your button? Hopefully, you get the drift.

If all motorists (and golf car drivers) simply did their part and obeyed the laws, there would be drastically fewer incidents that result in people getting hurt. Remember...driving is a privilege, not your right.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,176 Times in 757 Posts

The speed limit here in the Villages is 35 on most roads, and 20 on others. I see people constantly going much faster then that.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Saying "I Like Cops" is like saying I Like northerners. You may like most, but there are always a few who are just horrible. Unfortunately, unlike rude northerners who are simply annoying, bad cops can really violate your rights.
I like Good cops and appreciate them for their service.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
So says the man who obviously never wore the uniform, or had to pull the dead 8 year-old out from under the speeding SUV, whose driver was in a hurry to get to a pedicure appointment.

Law enforcement agencies do not use enhanced enforcement campaigns as "fund raisers." The sheriff certainly does not get to keep revenue generated through traffic citations.

Laws, and rules, are there for a reason. And, yes...safety is a big part of their existence. Ignoring laws, simply because someone may not be posing a threat in a particular snapshot of a moment, is ignorant. What's next? Is driving while impaired OK as long as you don't kill anyone? Is stealing OK if you really need the money? Is assault OK if that guy really pushed your button? Hopefully, you get the drift.

If all motorists (and golf car drivers) simply did their part and obeyed the laws, there would be drastically fewer incidents that result in people getting hurt. Remember...driving is a privilege, not your right.
So now you can only post about cops, good or bad, if you put on a costume and pulled a dead 8 year old from a wreck.
Got it.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post

If all motorists (and golf car drivers) simply did their part and obeyed the laws, there would be drastically fewer incidents that result in people getting hurt.
Remember...driving is a privilege, not your right.
Can't say I disagree with much of what you posted, however------

1) No, "I never wore the uniform" (not sure how that was obvious), but I have resuscitated the victims, put the victims back together, and have had to inform families about the loss of their loved one, so I'll be happy to compare my experience with yours.

2) While speed can be a factor in accidents, I think it has been over-emphasized. I'll stand by my statement that slow drivers not keeping up with the flow of traffic are as much a hazard as speeders

3) Calling it a "fund-raiser" was probably wrong of me, mea culpa. But since you sound like a LEO, you do realize that tickets do raise revenue----just look at the small town of Lawtey on 301

4) Comparing speeding to stealing, drunk driving and assault is way out in left field, and I'm sure you know it

5) Like I've posted several times, I don't speed. But I don't think a golf cart going 21 mph is a significantly bigger safety hazard than one going 20, nor do I care if that cart passes me, even though "rules are rules". Nor do I care if I get passed on BV by a car going 40-----and I doubt that is more of a safety hazard as well.

6) Not all laws are there for a valid reason. I like to use as an example a law still on the books in Kansas-----"If two trains are approaching each other, BOTH must stop, and NEITHER may start until the OTHER ONE does"---so much for a good reason for ALL laws. Also, consider this. I can take my golf cart, add windshield wipers and PAY A FEE to the county and abracadabra, the same cart is now street legal and can be driven at 25mph. And the rationale for that is......... (Certainly not safety)

7) If you are an active or retired LEO, thank you for your service.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

The Sumter County Traffic Unit has been targeting enforcement efforts to areas with traffic safety issues.

Focus is on the rural roads where it's not unusual to see vehicles doing 30+ mph over the speed limit.

A major proportion of fatal, speeding-related single-vehicle crashes occur on these rural roadways.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
Saying "I Like Cops" is like saying I Like northerners. You may like most, but there are always a few who are just horrible. Unfortunately, unlike rude northerners who are simply annoying, bad cops can really violate your rights.
I like Good cops and appreciate them for their service.
I like cops. There, I said it. Does that mean I like bad cops? No. Of course not. Every segment of society has some bad apples. Does that mean you have to use the word ‘good’ every time you refer to a group like the cops? Absolutely not.

Yes, I like cops.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.