Speeding Crackdown in Sumter County

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2021, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Hence, the "not feasible" part

We can all chime in...gaslighting is not necessary.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Sorry to disagree, but I am NOT wrong. I never said people significantly exceeding the speed limit were not a threat, but 5 or 10 above by a COMPETANT driver is superior to 10 below by a left lane Louie, and both are better than an incompetent driver whether that be by alcohol, texting or age. I don't have to "try aggressively" to get others to agree----the story speaks for itself, and there are plenty that agree. I doubt you will be among them

I am sure there are many more accidents resulting from speed rather than going too slow. Ending your post to everyone with rude, yes aggressive comments really is not mature, or pleasant, in addition, adding the silly floor slapping emoji only supports my point.

With that said, you sometimes make interesting points, I wish they didn't present in such a negative way, all the time.

Last edited by Spalumbos62; 07-21-2021 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-21-2021, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalumbos62 View Post
I am sure there are many more accidents resulting from speed rather than going too slow. Ending your post to everyone with rude, yes aggressive comments really is not mature, or pleasant, in addition, adding the silly floor slapping emoji only supports my point.

With that said, you sometimes make interesting points, I wish they didn't present in such a negative way, all the time.
But I like my rolling, laughing emoji

Also consider this: When an accident occurs due to speed, it's usually obvious and labelled as such. But when an accident occurs due to a slow driver, it isn't as obvious, and probably not blamed on him/her

Last edited by golfing eagles; 07-21-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:07 PM

Total agreement.
Travel in your cart with your phone aligned to snap video.

I was making a 100% legal left turn. Signaling and all.

Despite.... no one behind me, I wait to make my turn and some Jack$$$ whooshes by me crossing over the solid white line (golf cart lane) and passes me.

One of those passes where your car kneels over a bit, due to the air pressure of a rapidly advancing car.
Wish I was in my truck. I have the video, I would have followed them and have police arrive.
They will ticket by video

It is a public safety thing
Old 07-21-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Be careful what you wish for.

Again, I personally don't speed, so no dog in this fight either,------however.....

Someone going 45 or even 50 on BV or Morse (south of 466) doesn't bother me in the least---they will just pass me and be on their way, and they are not a safety hazard. It's the person going 25 that poses a greater risk---as everybody makes some lame move to get around them. They won't get into an accident, but they will cause them

The persons driving above the limit are, for the most part, younger with better vision and reflexes than average. I don't think a NASCAR champion would poses a risk regardless of their speed. The 90 year old who can't see above the steering wheel is the threat, so go ticket them when they drive 20.

I don't see why so many Villagers get their undies in a bunch when someone passes them. I get passed all the time when going the speed limit----SO WHAT
It's a much nicer world when everyone plays by the same rules!
Old 07-21-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
For those that are in strong support for cracking down on speeding, just what are you personally willing to be ticketed for?

- Driving 65 in a 35? I imagine we all could agree on that

- Driving 40 up the south section of Morse between 44 and 466?

- Driving 23 in a circle?

- Driving 32 on Pinellas? Would you truly accept that you were being unsafe at two miles over the limit?

Anecdote: The local authorities in another state lowered the speed limits in a community from 30 to 25. They didn't do this because 27 had become an unsafe speed, they did this so the ticket at 32 was now seven mph over the limit rather than 2 mph over and had a better chance of holding up in traffic court. Are our roads marked at the maximum safe speed or was the speed chosen for some other reason?

I personally support reasonable speed limits and reasonable traffic enforcement. The problem, of course, is everyone has a different idea of what "reasonable" is.
If you don't agree with the speed limits get them changed but don't make your own limits. The limits were set for a reason you may not understand but the traffic engineers do!
Old 07-22-2021, 11:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incoblack1 View Post
It's a much nicer world when everyone plays by the same rules!
And part of that nicer world is when the speed limit "rule" is 70 on a 3 lane in each direction interstate, some bozo isn't going 55 in the far left lane.

And I will still maintain that that driver is as much or greater CAUSE of accidents than those going 80. I would like to know what the LEOs on this site really think----not "the law is the law" , but what is the cause of more accidents. If not, just ask the truckers, since they will generally tell you it is the slow drivers

And just to pose the question another way-----what do you think causes more accidents---someone driving straight in one lane, or having to frequently change lanes to get past the slugs? The answer is obvious, so again, LEO should be out ticketing the clowns as well as the speeders
Old 07-22-2021, 05:22 PM

I hope someone does speed monitoring on golf carts also..I see more of a problem with them than with the cars.. The real enforcement needs is for directional signals.. Apparently they are an option on florida cars that not many people have.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
I hope someone does speed monitoring on golf carts also..I see more of a problem with them than with the cars.. The real enforcement needs is for directional signals.. Apparently they are an option on florida cars that not many people have.
So, based on your vast experience of days on this site and possibly as a Villager, just what is the problem that exceeds those of cars???? And are talking carts going 21 or 30+?
Old 07-30-2021, 07:49 AM
Cool Sumter County Cracks down on Speeding?

I have lived in Polo ridge for 4 years now and never have seen a SCP pull anyone over for speeding. I travel 466, Bono Vista and Southern Trace daily and see speeders continue go 15 - 20 MPH over the Limit. Don't ever get in the way of FedEx or UPS you will be run over as we know. Not to mention the people that don't know they have a turn signal on their car. Its really funny when they put a unmanned patrol car out there and grass goes up under it David
Old 07-30-2021, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

IMHO, they could have written the 29 tickets in one morning on Buena Vista alone.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, they could have written the 29 tickets in one morning on Buena Vista alone.
Stop signs are routinely ignored, either enforce them or remove them and lets play demolition derby.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:20 PM

It is a law not a choice. Where do people get that they can choose what law they want to obey and what law they want to ignore. If that is the new rule I am going to start hiring techies to steal only a dollar or two out of peoples bank accounts on a monthly basis. Seems fair to me, not taking it all only 1 or 2 dollars, what is it hurting!! If you do not like a law work to get it changed. Stop breaking the law!!
Old 07-30-2021, 07:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalumbos62 View Post

Well, a quick google will show the first dozen or so results are insurance companies. They all agree, driving too slow is more likely to result in an accident than driving too fast.

I expect they HAVE a horse in this race, called profit.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
It is a law not a choice. Where do people get that they can choose what law they want to obey and what law they want to ignore. If that is the new rule I am going to start hiring techies to steal only a dollar or two out of peoples bank accounts on a monthly basis. Seems fair to me, not taking it all only 1 or 2 dollars, what is it hurting!! If you do not like a law work to get it changed. Stop breaking the law!!
Hmmm. Let me see. "I got rights by god, no one can tell me what to do"...

Just saying it seems I have heard the answer to your question here a few times...

And I am 100% in agreement with, "stop breaking the law, if you don't like it work to change it". YUP!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.