Speeding Crackdown in Sumter County

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2021, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
Saying "I Like Cops" is like saying I Like northerners. You may like most, but there are always a few who are just horrible. Unfortunately, unlike rude northerners who are simply annoying, bad cops can really violate your rights.
I like Good cops and appreciate them for their service.
I like cops. And Northerners. (From the middle part of the country)

Not too crazy about wise guys.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:49 PM

The Clueless Driver are the ones you need to look out for, I'm sure no one thinks they fall into that category...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Tunel Car.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	90188  
Old 07-20-2021, 01:23 PM

I’ve seen a lot of decoy cars as well lately. They reduce speeders only temporarily until everyone realizes that the car is empty.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Posted on Facebook by the Sumter County Sheriff's Office:

"The Sumter County Sheriff's Office is participating in a tough new speed enforcement blitz under the tagline: “Obey the Sign or Pay the Fine.” The intensified enforcement effort against speeding drivers underscores the severity of the problem both locally and across the nation. This initiative will take place beginning Monday, July 19th - July 24th."
Why only for a week?

Doesn't Joe Taxpayer have the right to expect that ALL laws be enforced equitably, all the time? After all, that's what he is paying for.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
I’ve seen a lot of decoy cars as well lately. They reduce speeders only temporarily until everyone realizes that the car is empty.
Do not understand why they leave the cars in the same place for days at a time.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:57 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Most major roads here can be safely driven above the 35 mph speed limit. I will admit i find myself driving faster than i should. Its usually trying to get around old school marms from ohio rushing in the left lane at 25mph to find a place that serves beans over cornbread.

Thank god there are plenty of people from the NorthEast that really know how to drive.

But if our valiant and brave Deputies fine me for speeding, i will gladly pay into their party fund.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Most major roads here can be safely driven above the 35 mph speed limit. I will admit i find myself driving faster than i should. Its usually trying to get around old school marms from ohio rushing in the left lane at 25mph to find a place that serves beans over cornbread.

Thank god there are plenty of people from the NorthEast that really know how to drive.

But if our valiant and brave Deputies fine me for speeding, i will gladly pay into their party fund.
IMO Some roads has 35 MPH speed limits to accommodate LSV. (another government waste program few years ago) B/V and el Camino Reno are good examples. Those can easily support 45 MPH speed limit in spots. Even LEO’s don’t drive 35 MPH in spots on those stretches. Now someone going to say only citizens has to obey speed limits and traffic laws.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Posted on Facebook by the Sumter County Sheriff's Office:

"The Sumter County Sheriff's Office is participating in a tough new speed enforcement blitz under the tagline: “Obey the Sign or Pay the Fine.” The intensified enforcement effort against speeding drivers underscores the severity of the problem both locally and across the nation. This initiative will take place beginning Monday, July 19th - July 24th."
Big deal 5 days what about the next 360 days. Wish the Sheriff/Police should have already been doing it all along with concentration on Odell Cir, Morse Blvd N,S and Buena Vista
Old 07-20-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I like cops. And Northerners. (From the middle part of the country)

Not too crazy about wise guys.
That was harsh. The emoji softened it a bit.

Wyse. A computer (specifically terminal line)I worked on the development a long long time ago. The far away times of the eighties.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:14 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Be careful what you wish for.

Again, I personally don't speed, so no dog in this fight either,------however.....

Someone going 45 or even 50 on BV or Morse (south of 466) doesn't bother me in the least---they will just pass me and be on their way, and they are not a safety hazard. It's the person going 25 that poses a greater risk---as everybody makes some lame move to get around them. They won't get into an accident, but they will cause them

The persons driving above the limit are, for the most part, younger with better vision and reflexes than average. I don't think a NASCAR champion would poses a risk regardless of their speed. The 90 year old who can't see above the steering wheel is the threat, so go ticket them when they drive 20.

I don't see why so many Villagers get their undies in a bunch when someone passes them. I get passed all the time when going the speed limit----SO WHAT
Funny those speeding kids with the super vision have the highest insurance rates and greatest accident rates.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:15 PM
Platinum member

I continue to be amazed at all the northeast bashing especially about
New York.

Midwesterners are no nicer than New Yorkers. There are good and bad from every state.

You try living in the New York City area and see how you would handle it.

Just remember during 9-11 all those New Yorkers pulled together and helped each other.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
This initiative will take place beginning Monday, July 19th - July 24th."
So after the 24th you can speed again, right?
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
Yea, you can usually tell they are decoys by the flat tires and the grass growing up to the top of the wheel well.

That being said, even then, the normal reaction is to go to the brakes even if you are NOT speeding so it does serve at least a temporary purpose and makes one pay more attention.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

So it’s ok to speed a little. Is it ok to steal just a little? They both are against the law…but just a little.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
So it’s ok to speed a little. Is it ok to steal just a little? They both are against the law…but just a little.
More like not showing some teeney weenie little things on your tax returns that might cost you just a couple bucks. Or not paying the state the 7% sales tax you were not charged from some companies for online purchases you had delivered (although FL ended that on July 1st). There are shades of gray everywhere. Don't think "stealing" is a fair comparison because on gray to black scale that's way on the black side of the spectrum but driving a few MPH over the limit would be on the gray side of the spectrum.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.