Speeding golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2020, 07:04 AM
Default Speeding golf cart

I thought the golf carts were set to go 20-21mph. While driving at that speed (which I find is just fine) another cart approached me from behind and obviously was in a BIG rush as he was on my tail....at the first opportunity he drove very fast past me (I gave him the one finger salute) and I knew he was going a lot faster than 20 mph. At the next crossing Mr. Speedy came to a stop and I came up behind him and got a lot closer than I normally would to give him an indication I was not pleased with his driving. He naturally sped off at his first opportunity. What is the ruling on what speed the golf carts are allowed to go?

NJRichard
Old 03-16-2020, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRICHARD View Post
I thought the golf carts were set to go 20-21mph. While driving at that speed (which I find is just fine) another cart approached me from behind and obviously was in a BIG rush as he was on my tail....at the first opportunity he drove very fast past me (I gave him the one finger salute) and I knew he was going a lot faster than 20 mph. At the next crossing Mr. Speedy came to a stop and I came up behind him and got a lot closer than I normally would to give him an indication I was not pleased with his driving. He naturally sped off at his first opportunity. What is the ruling on what speed the golf carts are allowed to go?

NJRichard
According to Florida law, 19.9 mph. Over that you must make certain modifications and register it as a LSV, which allows you to go 25 mph, and drive on roadways with a speed limit of no more than 35 mph (if you are suicidal, IMHO).
However, if you try to appoint yourself as the speed monitor and react to every incident of excessive golf cart speed, you will only drive yourself nuts. After all, why do you care if someone passes you in a hurry? He will be the one facing huge fines if he gets caught by a legitimate LEO.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

NJRichard

The Golf cart Safety Clinic is held at the Colony Recreation Center at 9:00 AM on the third (3rd) Wednesday Morning of each month.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

The ruling is as follows
I've seen a few and should say very few attempts slow violators down
Old 03-16-2020, 07:23 AM

Most cars can go over 100 MPH. Highest speed limit I have seen has been 80. So what if someone has a fast cart? I get passed all the time.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:

NJRichard
Perhaps the driver just herd that Walmart got in a shipment of toilet paper?
Old 03-16-2020, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Perhaps the driver just herd that Walmart got in a shipment of toilet paper?

Make sense to me as to why the A hole drove as fast as they could
Old 03-16-2020, 10:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Most cars can go over 100 MPH. Highest speed limit I have seen has been 80. So what if someone has a fast cart? I get passed all the time.
I agree.

I am a slow driver and I am used to being passed by other cars who are exceeding the speed limit. It doesn't bother me at all.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
What is the ruling on what speed the golf carts are allowed to go?
On our multi-modal paths, I doubt there is any speed limit.

Every driver has to look out for themselves.

Does anyone know of a golf cart accident on the MMPs where the police were involved?
Old 03-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Default Golf Cart Speed

Quote:

NJRichard
It doesn't matter what the speed limit or the law states these Big Shots are going to raise the speed on their carts just to be 1 up on all the rest. For whatever reason they need that above all feeling in order to get through life. So just ignore if you can, no need to get stressed over it because it will never change for some. Thank you.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:37 AM

I can get my bike up to 40 MPH pedaling in high gear for a few minutes before my legs give out. And bikes are a form of multi-modal transportation. Also I used to be able to run 23 MPH(short sprint) so I could pass a golf cart going 20 MPH. So speed is relative.

Although illogical, it does bother me when my 21.5 MPH Cart is passed by another cart. EGO MAN THING. I know the other guy has just turned his throttle screw more than mine but men like to race anything you know.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
men like to race anything you know.
Ain't that the truth!

In a Road&Track magazine, I saw a photo of Lamborghinis racing. However these were not ultra-high performance cars - they were tractors.

I read that Mr. Lamborghini made his money by manufacturing tractors and then bought a Ferrari. He found a problem with the car and complained to Enzo Ferrari, who told him, "All you know about is tractors". That upset Mr. L, so he said he would make a car better than Ferrari.

You gotta love the Italians.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
On our multi-modal paths, I doubt there is any speed limit.

Every driver has to look out for themselves.

Does anyone know of a golf cart accident on the MMPs where the police were involved?
from the District web site -> PDF Viewer

in the above pdf " If the districts were to adopt rules for use of the multi-modal paths, such as speed limits, or types of conveyance usage, then the method of enforcement would be an issue.Community Development Districts do not possess any law enforcement powers."

Thus, I would believe that there is no adopted or enforceable speed limit on the multi-modal paths in the Villages. However, when operating in the golf cart lanes on the county road system there is a speed limit of 19.9 that can be enforced. Weird!
Old 03-16-2020, 01:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

NJRichard

WOW .. I've been passed and have passed other carts many times..
as far as the 1 finger salute , I'm from NY we consider that a badge of honor..

BTW you may want to consider anger mgmt. classes because sometime you may give the wrong person the finger and then you even came up real close to his bumper to show you weren't pleased.. must be a NJ thing...lol
Old 03-16-2020, 01:58 PM
Platinum member

Reporting that one encountered a speeding golf cart in The Villages is like reporting that it got hot on a July day in Death Valley.

Tags
golf, lot, opportunity, speed, driving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.