Speeding golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2020, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Ain't that the truth!

In a Road&Track magazine, I saw a photo of Lamborghinis racing. However these were not ultra-high performance cars - they were tractors.

I read that Mr. Lamborghini made his money by manufacturing tractors and then bought a Ferrari. He found a problem with the car and complained to Enzo Ferrari, who told him, "All you know about is tractors". That upset Mr. L, so he said he would make a car better than Ferrari.

You gotta love the Italians.
The cart should be geared for 20 mph unless it’s a low speed vehicle or LSV. Sadly, it takes about 2 minutes to increase the top speed on your 20 mph GC, many YouTube videos on that subject. Please don’t speed up your GC. Getting a ticket for 25mph in a standard GC leads to a ton of legal problems. Stick with 20mph, you’ll still get there – eventually.

You are correct about Ferrari/Lamborghini. My dad knew Enzo’s son Piero, more acquaintance than friend. The story was relayed to my dad as follows. Mr. Lamborghini bought a Ferrari. When he brought it in for service Enzo was there. Enzo asked how he liked the and car - Lamborghini said, considering what it cost I’m a bit surprised at all these problems, window would not close properly, radio didn’t work, heater didn’t work, etc etc. Enzo being a too proud Italian said, what do you know about cars, you’re just a hick farmer. Lamborghini is a VERY wealthy man at that time, the ‘John Deere’ of Italy. Lamborghini set out to show him what a “hick” can do, the Lamborghini car was born. I’m sure Enzo regretted not keeping his mouth shut and just fixed the guys car.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I’m sure Enzo regretted not keeping his mouth shut and just fixed the guys car.
Yeah, but then he wouldn't be Italian, would he?

I'm glad to hear the story I thought I read years ago is actually true.

I heard a similar story about Maserati. One of his customers told Mr. Maserati that his car had poor brakes and was told, "Maserati's are made for going, not for stopping."
Old 03-16-2020, 04:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRICHARD View Post
I thought the golf carts were set to go 20-21mph. While driving at that speed (which I find is just fine) another cart approached me from behind and obviously was in a BIG rush as he was on my tail....at the first opportunity he drove very fast past me (I gave him the one finger salute) and I knew he was going a lot faster than 20 mph. At the next crossing Mr. Speedy came to a stop and I came up behind him and got a lot closer than I normally would to give him an indication I was not pleased with his driving. He naturally sped off at his first opportunity. What is the ruling on what speed the golf carts are allowed to go?

NJRichard
Did he cut you off or cause you to change your path? Why the finger? Do you flip off people on the road that travel above the posted speed limit?

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-16-2020, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I'm just surprised that someone who has lived here more than one day, has just been passed by a faster golf cart for the first time. I'd say at least 40% of all carts are sped up above 20mph.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:27 AM

Quote:
I thought the golf carts were set to go 20-21mph. While driving at that speed (which I find is just fine) another cart approached me from behind and obviously was in a BIG rush as he was on my tail....at the first opportunity he drove very fast past me (I gave him the one finger salute) and I knew he was going a lot faster than 20 mph. At the next crossing Mr. Speedy came to a stop and I came up behind him and got a lot closer than I normally would to give him an indication I was not pleased with his driving. He naturally sped off at his first opportunity. What is the ruling on what speed the golf carts are allowed to go?

NJRichard
Golf carts are set to whatever speed they are set to - why do you care? If caught speeding on a public road there is risk of a ticket/fine/etc. Unless the driver cut you off or otherwise drove in a way that specifically endangered you I'd leave it alone. Regarding your "one finger salute", while it shows you clearly must have a good moral compass, I'd ignore you too.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:09 AM
Cool Speeding golf carts

Quote:

NJRichard
I found the same thing. The speed limit for golf carts is 20 MPH. However the police seem to be overlooking the speed limit laws. I wrote an article in the Village news that was published concerning the same thing. High speeds are I am sure the cause of many accidents. There should be an ordinance that covers this. All golf carts that are sold in The Villages should be fixed to go no faster than 20 MPH.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:13 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen: I realize there will be golf cart 'speeders' OK, what I don't like is when a golf cart is ON my tail!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
According to Florida law, 19.9 mph. Over that you must make certain modifications and register it as a LSV, which allows you to go 25 mph, and drive on roadways with a speed limit of no more than 35 mph (if you are suicidal, IMHO).
However, if you try to appoint yourself as the speed monitor and react to every incident of excessive golf cart speed, you will only drive yourself nuts. After all, why do you care if someone passes you in a hurry? He will be the one facing huge fines if he gets caught by a legitimate LEO.
Please cite the FL statute that sys 19.9.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Please cite the FL statute that sys 19.9.
Fl statute 320.01 sec 22

(22) “Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Golf carts are set to whatever speed they are set to - why do you care? If caught speeding on a public road there is risk of a ticket/fine/etc. Unless the driver cut you off or otherwise drove in a way that specifically endangered you I'd leave it alone. Regarding your "one finger salute", while it shows you clearly must have a good moral compass, I'd ignore you too.
Maybe he has a "good moral compass", but I question his common sense. Flipping off a stranger has gotten a lot of people killed over the years; it's really a stupid thing to do, and even more dangerous if you do it to someone who has a low frustration level.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:41 AM

Can you imagine Ma & Pa Kettle out in their golf cart ride doing 15/16 mph and no passing was allowed, you would have a long line of carts all riding each other A** in hopes that the Kettle's would pull over.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:42 AM

My cart only goes 20mph so if some one wants to pass me, that does not effect when I get to my destination. If the passing person stays behind me, that person gets the their destination later than they would have been. It may have effected that person to be late but had no effect on me. Let it go and enjoy life.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:48 AM

I am guessing you are from New York area, with your method of communicating your displeasure. In the South, we are more accepting of our disagreements.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Sounds to me like you have anger problem if someone passes you. You gave him the finger? Seriously? I also doubt that the guy who made a comment about NY have ever been there.

Last edited by bilcon; 03-17-2020 at 06:56 AM. Reason: additional comments
Old 03-17-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

You must have just arrived in TV. If you were on a public street in the golf cart lane then 20 MPH is the law. People break that law hourly every day. The fine is around $450 total in Sumter and it is a felony. If you are on a MM path in TV then the police have no jurisdiction since it is private property except for public intox, battery, reckless behavior, etc..Get use to it since that is the way things are.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, lot, opportunity, speed, driving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.