Speeding golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2020, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRICHARD View Post
Ladies & Gentlemen: I realize there will be golf cart 'speeders' OK, what I don't like is when a golf cart is ON my tail!
I’ve found if person is tailgating, and I pull over, they pass quickly and don’t bother me anymore.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:23 AM

Your aggressive behavior with your "salute" and pulling up close behind when the other cart stopped speaks volumes about you!
Old 03-17-2020, 07:28 AM

If you flip a cart you will be very injured. Take care out there
Old 03-17-2020, 07:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Life is short. I just wave them on by and give them a happy 5 finger palm wave. Both smile and continue on with our day.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I thought the golf carts were set to go 20-21mph. While driving at that speed (which I find is just fine) another cart approached me from behind and obviously was in a BIG rush as he was on my tail....at the first opportunity he drove very fast past me (I gave him the one finger salute) and I knew he was going a lot faster than 20 mph. At the next crossing Mr. Speedy came to a stop and I came up behind him and got a lot closer than I normally would to give him an indication I was not pleased with his driving. He naturally sped off at his first opportunity. What is the ruling on what speed the golf carts are allowed to go?

NJRichard
Just let them go bye you - it does not matter - like skiers or bikers - there will always be someone who needs to pass - for whatever reason - my advice is to drive as safely as you feel comfortable
Old 03-17-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I thought the golf carts were set to go 20-21mph. While driving at that speed (which I find is just fine) another cart approached me from behind and obviously was in a BIG rush as he was on my tail....at the first opportunity he drove very fast past me (I gave him the one finger salute) and I knew he was going a lot faster than 20 mph. At the next crossing Mr. Speedy came to a stop and I came up behind him and got a lot closer than I normally would to give him an indication I was not pleased with his driving. He naturally sped off at his first opportunity. What is the ruling on what speed the golf carts are allowed to go?

NJRichard
I guess you have a road rage problem too. You need help
Old 03-17-2020, 08:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
According to Florida law, 19.9 mph. Over that you must make certain modifications and register it as a LSV, which allows you to go 25 mph, and drive on roadways with a speed limit of no more than 35 mph (if you are suicidal, IMHO).
However, if you try to appoint yourself as the speed monitor and react to every incident of excessive golf cart speed, you will only drive yourself nuts. After all, why do you care if someone passes you in a hurry? He will be the one facing huge fines if he gets caught by a legitimate LEO.
You’re exactly right they’ll be the ones paying for the Big Rush Speeding Ticket. Why would anybody want to give anybody the one finger salute in our society today & take a chance that some nut case might pull a gun on you. All the 1 finger salute shows is your age or IQ. Geez, let the speeder find out the hard way! All they did was show what kind of person they are, & this person should just chill out!
Old 03-17-2020, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Sometimes there is a true emergency. Even if not, it’s not worth ruining your day over someone else’s driving. IMO at least.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Cops can ticket a golf cart which exceeds the 20 mile per hour, unless it is a street legal cart. We should have more cops giving out tickets and then they can reduce our taxes with the proceeds!
Old 03-17-2020, 09:06 AM

If seen by cop would have gotten ticket for speeding and passing on solid white line
Old 03-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Default Golf Cart Speed

You are not the Golf Cart Police. You seem to be so proud of throwing your middle finger around. What a great example for TV you are! Why don’t you do the speed limit and let the people in charge handle the rest! I’m betting you don’t like to be passed on the highway either!
Old 03-17-2020, 09:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Why the anger? Especially after retiring and moving to TV, my attitude (most times anyway..) is - even if I'm doing the car speed limit +5, if people are in a hurry, let 'em go and pass. Same on MM paths here. My cart can go 26, and if I'm in the open and safe will go 22 or so. If another cart wants to go faster, please pass me. Who knows what their hurry is, could be an emergency or such. And that 'salute'... NY folks or not...please, let's be rational.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:38 AM

Have you driven Buena Vista Blvd lately? I set my cruise at 35 mph, which is the speed limit and drive in the right lane. To my left I am passed by most cars doing at least 50 mph. Sometimes there is a cop with a radar gun and people pay the price. I remember years ago the sheriffs department set up a speed trap for golf carts near Plimico behind the School. This is not on a MMP but a county road that is shared. They issued approximately 60 tickets for $600. Monday morning in court the judge threw all cases out and charged everyone court cost of $200. The tickets were not for speeding but for driving an unlicensed and improperly insured vehicle so everyone was required to be in court.

Best thing to do is just let them go, karma is a bitch and will eventually catch up with them
Old 03-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Veteran member

If your cart is not limited to the 20mph maximum, you have an unregistered motor vehicle which will end up costing you $255 plus a court appearance and a trip to a certified mechanic that will charge you more to re-set your speed and charge you additional. Doesn't matter if you were driving it at 16mph or not at all. The police would have a bonanza here every day if they were to radar carts around TV.
My cart (electric) cannot go faster than 20mph, yet I get passed by gas carts all the time. Very easy to defeat the governor on a gas cart.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:26 AM

Speed is less the issue than is passing in an unsafe manner. It’s easy, drive with respect for others. It’s a golf cart, dummy.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, lot, opportunity, speed, driving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.