Speeding landscaper’s trucks

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2023, 12:04 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Some weeks back we were behind a service truck on El Camino Real. Can’t recall the name of the company but as I recall it was appliance service and repair. On the back of the truck was one of those “How Is My Driving” sign, along with a phone number to call if one wanted to enlighten the company as to how their employee was driving.

The last four numbers of the phone number had been sanded off.

True story.

I think speeding service vehicles can be a definite concern. If you think they are a danger, then call the company and report it. The name of the company will be on the vehicle somewhere.
I understand most delivery trucks and appliance repair have company names, but have you noticed the number of very beat up old trucks with all kinds of lawn equipment in the back, and a trailer attached, with no license plates, no name on truck ? One nearly took out the gate arm leaving our village last Tuesday ! Leaving the village so fast they did not slow down enough for the gate to clear; it "dinged" but did not come off...truck didn't even slow down to "check" what they had hit ! Time is money ? The faster you get to the next house the more lawns you can do ? And YES, we have seen truck where the "licensed & insured" numbers are rusted or sanded off, and saw a plumbing truck in Wildwood just yesterday with one of those "How is my driving signs" then, NO phone number ! Maybe the company was getting too many calls from drivers with a cell phone who observed the speeding... or in this case, went through a red (not yellow caution) light !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 03-30-2023 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-2023, 12:16 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Police presence and tickets with meaningful fines and penalties could work, but won't happen.
For sure won't happen ! Few police, already over burdened, a LOT of crime, a LOT of drug dealing, and traffic "crime" moved to the bottom of the priority list. Some residents try to demonstrate personal responsibility by driving right at the limit, but..... the ANGER of service people, and of some residents, aimed at people who are going the limit is also over the top !
Old 03-30-2023, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
So now you wanna give them a ticket for causing you stress and raising the POTENTIAL for harm? What happened to Floridians being free citizens living in a free state? Sounds like a bunch of snowflakes
So, you bought that propaganda............
Old 03-30-2023, 01:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
If they get enough complaints they might investigate.
You got a better chance if hell freezes over
Old 03-30-2023, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

I have recently noticed that some landscapers are using the roads to travel on riding lawnmowers that don't even have a license. A few days ago, I followed a riding lawnmower on a county road for 4 blocks. In the past, these riding mowers were transported to the houses on a trailer.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,588 Times in 1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
You got a better chance if hell freezes over
True, unfortunately.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have recently noticed that some landscapers are using the roads to travel on riding lawnmowers that don't even have a license. A few days ago, I followed a riding lawnmower on a county road for 4 blocks. In the past, these riding mowers were transported to the houses on a trailer.
Yes, I noticed they were in the diamond lane although they were too wide. I just passed carefully with my cart. I think rather than raising prices for their services they are trying to cut costs in other ways.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,537 Times in 1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, I noticed they were in the diamond lane although they were too wide. I just passed carefully with my cart. I think rather than raising prices for their services they are trying to cut costs in other ways.
Just how good is the mileage on a lawn tractor?
Old 03-30-2023, 02:53 PM

IMO these guys are the worst! Flying around, parking away from curbs while working, parking on turns on neighborhood streets, etc etc.

A couple times I told them to park closer to the curb —- with their towed trailer. Can barely pass thru. Irritating.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
I agree, TOTALLY out of control, see them nearly hitting people in their golf carts everyday on Belvidere... they go 45 mph when posted 30, but most horrifying is how they "swing" back and forth into the golf cart lanes. WHERE ARE THE POLICE ? Surely some of our taxes go for police ? Perhaps none available to hire, shortages everywhere, but this is really serious situation that needs attention. BTW, have you noticed how many do NOT have valid license tags, followed one that nearly hit an on coming auto (because the truck was using BOTH their lane and the golf cart lane, then seeing carts ahead, the truck went over the center line and nearly side swiped the auto. Followed them and when they finally stopped at a home, found the license tag expired 2-21 ! ! Reported it but... chances of anyone following up, probably not. Much more serious crimes for the small police force to try to control ? Reckless driving and excessive speeding, especially of service people, USED to be an occasional thing. Police USED to sit along the major arteries, often partially hidden near the polo fields. Now that there is no patrolling, it has gone to the residential streets too. Wish we had an answer, seems it always takes a tragedy for any action to be taken !
Thank you for your pertinent and understanding reply …
Old 03-30-2023, 03:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
I understand most delivery trucks and appliance repair have company names, but have you noticed the number of very beat up old trucks with all kinds of lawn equipment in the back, and a trailer attached, with no license plates, no name on truck ? One nearly took out the gate arm leaving our village last Tuesday ! Leaving the village so fast they did not slow down enough for the gate to clear; it "dinged" but did not come off...truck didn't even slow down to "check" what they had hit ! Time is money ? The faster you get to the next house the more lawns you can do ? And YES, we have seen truck where the "licensed & insured" numbers are rusted or sanded off, and saw a plumbing truck in Wildwood just yesterday with one of those "How is my driving signs" then, NO phone number ! Maybe the company was getting too many calls from drivers with a cell phone who observed the speeding... or in this case, went through a red (not yellow caution) light !
I see trucks like that regularly because I walk in my neighborhood.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:27 AM
Platinum member

Do we really want leo involved. Speed camera's everywhere like in orlando? If you point a finger remember, 4 fingers are pointing back at you
Old 03-31-2023, 05:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
You misjudge. Call me Froggie.
You misinterpret. Don't want them ticked for causing stress. Do want them ticketed for exceeding the lawful safe speed limit.
Do you interpret free state as a state where citizens are free to break the law, bully or endanger others, etc? That is not what it means to me. To me it means free to live your life as you see fit As Long As you do not break the laws or interfere with the rights of your fellow citizens.
Well said!!
Old 03-31-2023, 05:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Police presence and tickets with meaningful fines and penalties could work, but won't happen.
AND I would like to know why. It would seem to me that enforcing heavy fine collection would send a message. Probably multiple infractions in most cases. Would bring in revenue to permit hiring more traffic cops. I actually like seeing cops writing tickets - makes me slow down.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,940 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Lawn mowers are just like low-speed vehicle just like your golf cart same with small golf course Maintenance vehicle does your golf-cart require a license?
Closed Thread

Tags
it’s, trucks, plates, drive, license

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.