Spiders!!!

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Default Spiders!!!

My wonderful house watch company, with Charlene and Steve Manieri, The Village Sitter, told me that my house and my neighbor's house, who they also care for, have tons of spiders at the front entrance way and at the garage door and under the eaves. They have been clearing this for us but I am wondering if this is a common problem, should I have the company I contract with for pest control come and spray, and why does this occur? is it because we are near the lake, or the park or the marsh? Or??? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Poor Jane! You have had more than your share of bugs!

I saw a spider on the front porch and one on the back porch yesterday and they are completely different ones. But not a bunch of them. Your home and ours are fairly close to a preserve. So...I don't know where they are coming from.

A friend told us to shake and hit your golf shoes before your put them on if you store them in the garage because someone she knew had been bitten by a brown recluse that was hiding in her golf shoe. That gave me pause.

I imagine a call to your pest guy should get rid of this bunch of bugs.

It isn't right or fair, Miss Jane!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Platinum member

Hi Jane, As Gracie said, I would call the pest guys to check it out. Also ask them to identify them and the cause (marsh, humidity, etc). Let us know.

I lived in South Florida for over 10 years and there are a lot of pests that we'll encounter.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Poor Jane! You have had more than your share of bugs!

I saw a spider on the front porch and one on the back porch yesterday and they are completely different ones. But not a bunch of them. Your home and ours are fairly close to a preserve. So...I don't know where they are coming from.

A friend told us to shake and hit your golf shoes before your put them on if you store them in the garage because someone she knew had been bitten by a brown recluse that was hiding in her golf shoe. That gave me pause.

I imagine a call to your pest guy should get rid of this bunch of bugs.

It isn't right or fair, Miss Jane!
Now you've done it. Never ever again will I be able to put my golf shoes on without a 27 point inspection. Guess I'll have to include more time to my schedule when playing golf.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Eternal Member

If you are near the water, that's why you get them.
Go to the Waterfront Hotel or Lighthouse & sit out at night. All the spiders come out. We used to have a summer place on the lake. They would be on the boat as the sun set, but we didn't see them during the day when it was hot or sunny.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We live in Mission Hills too and there is a constant battle with spider webs. We have Dean's but guess we need to call them out more often. Hopefully as more and more homes are occupied and sprayed; the spiders will thin out.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Sage

My wife was told by a golf ambassador to be very careful about reaching into the tall grasses for a golf ball. There have been quite a few brown recluse spider bites reported - and they are bad!

The venom will basically kill the skin (necrosis) around the bite and it will slough off and become very prone to infection if not treated by a doctor. Sometimes skin grafts even have to be used.

However, do not kill spiders around the outside of your house as they eat lots of destructive insects.

I attached a link that tells about the brown recluse spider and their bites. It has pictures of the spider.
Brown Recluse Spider Bite Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Brown Recluse Bite Causes on eMedicineHealth
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Gold member

Thanks everyone, as you all were responding to this question, I have been in the "cellar" of our 1923 farmhouse in Seattle, using a dry vac to clean out all the dirt, cobwebs and spider webs. I NEVER go down there. It is a shock to my husband that I am doing this as I am a wimp, but he emptied everything out and I said I would do the cleaning. Ugh, I am the only woman dressed in nice clothes with jewellry and make up on and my hair all nice who is cleaning spiders and cobwebs in an old cememnt basement because I forgot what I said I would do today! But the exciting thing is our house is going up for sale this week and we will be moving early November to our villa in Mission Hills, and I will be a pro at vaccuming up spider stuff! Yes Gracie, I have had TOO many bugs and I do not live there yet but I will call our terminator, Munn's, and get them out there. Our house watcher is going to power wash everything before we arrive for a week at the end of August so I do not freak out like last time when I arrived to find a million blind mosquitos. I better toughen up before I get there, maybe I should sign up for a class called coping with bug life in TV!!! I will let you all know what type of spiders, the cause and the solution once I get Munn's out there. Stay tuned and don't get bitten. By the way, my husband is down in the cellar now cleaning, I HAD to take a break, it is SO disgusting....True love.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the link about the spiders. I'll be on the look out for sure.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Jane, if I'm not mistaken, Munns is an air conditioning company in TV.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Jane, if I'm not mistaken, Munns is an air conditioning company in TV.
You are quite right. It is Dean's I have. Maybe Munn's could freeze out the spiders! Thanks for the correction before I called Munn's and embarrassed myself...
Old 07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last Saturday we were sitting on the raised deck at LSL listening to the band and my wife got bit on the back of the leg by a spider. On Sunday it made a large 2" red mark that swelled up. We put on ice, and later cortisone and she took Benadryl for the itch. On Tuesday when it wasn't getting any better we went to the doctor and he said that is that right treatment and to just keep doing what you're doing. The swelling went down by Thursday and the red mark is almost gone after 8 days.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Lynn222

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
My wife was told by a golf ambassador to be very careful about reaching into the tall grasses for a golf ball. There have been quite a few brown recluse spider bites reported - and they are bad!

The venom will basically kill the skin (necrosis) around the bite and it will slough off and become very prone to infection if not treated by a doctor. Sometimes skin grafts even have to be used.

However, do not kill spiders around the outside of your house as they eat lots of destructive insects.

I attached a link that tells about the brown recluse spider and their bites. It has pictures of the spider.
Brown Recluse Spider Bite Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Brown Recluse Bite Causes on eMedicineHealth
I was biten by a brown recluse many years ago and spent 7 nights in the hospital....they sure are bad little guys.

Lynn Baldacci
Life is not necessarily drawing a good hand but playing a bad hand well.
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post

Hey Buggy,

You brought up exactly what I was thinking. Around here, Ohio, I try to ignore spiders unless they become too invasive. Subjective decision on my part. Because I keep wondering "What are they eating?" I can't see anything they eat but I sure don't want those tiny buggers in my house. At least I can see the spiders and get rid of them if I feel like it. More than happy to let the spiders eat any miniscule insect creeping around in my home.

Maybe I'm just weird (don't comment on that) but I fear less the bug/insect I can see that the one I can't see.

Just my $0.02

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Mission Hills got a serious infestation -- especially on the water side. I think I brushed off over 100 webs and didn't even make a dent. Definitely call your pest control company. They may not be able to kill them (spiders seem to be immune to a lot of the pesticides) but the exterminating companies have some wonderful tools to get the spiders and webs down. On my list to call Massey's on Monday for the same problem.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.