Spike in Villages COVID cases

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
If you are reading information from that other website you are falling for their clickbait. Do a Google search for "Florida covid dashboard" and look at the website from arcgis.com. The data is broken down in great detail. Sumter county and the zip codes associated with The Villages are doing very well as compared to the rest of the state. Yes, there are positive cases, this has become just a fact of life these days, but one needs to look at things like the number of tests performed, positivity rate, death rate, etc. to get the entire picture. I'm not saying that there isn't a problem or concern with covid19 and that we all should not be being cautions and not take risks, it just not as bad as that other site wants to make it sound. Be cautions, take what precautions you feel you need for yourself, there is a risk and it is real, but the sky is not falling.

I studied journalism for 4 years and one of the topics we regularly discussed in every class was journalistic integrity (pretty much a non-existent concept these days), bias, sensationalism, and of course yellow journalism (Yellow journalism - Wikipedia). This was 40 years ago and most of this discussion was referring to the supermarket tabloids of the day like the National Enquirer and the like. The tabloids have moved from the printed page.

Today of course, we have the internet, and everything is fair game, you can say what you want and twist facts or pseudo facts to reflect whatever opinion you want. In this case, if you "hate The Villages", "hate the developer", "hate Donald Trump", want to hear how anything can be turned negative against the afore mentioned, or are maybe just a bored and miserable person, that other site may be the one for you. If your a fan of that site, I'd also recommend the website Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info .

Agree, they also keep running old stand by opinions to get more click baits.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
There seems to be a recent spike in COVID cases. It appears there are approx. 100 new cases in 2 days in The Villages Sumter County. YIKES!!!
Does anyone plan to do anything differently based on these new numbers??
Seriously? With the attitude of certain people here in TV, you think they're going to do anything different? They won't do something SIMPLE like wear a mask!
Old 11-24-2020, 09:20 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
The county commissions of Sumter, Lake, and Marion counties need to enact mask mandates now! That really should be done at the state level, but Gov. DeSantis is actually obstructing common-sense anti-COVID-19 measures.

The good news is that vaccines are on the horizon. The bad news is that mass vaccinations are even further on the horizon, and people will be dying in large numbers until the great majority of people are vaccinated.
Like that has worked so in states where mask mandates have been in effect. Look at the numbers. The mask mandate states are spiking at a higher rate than non mandate states. I know that doesn’t fit your agenda, but those are the facts...
Old 11-24-2020, 10:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

And in December we have the wide opened to anyone within many miles of here CRUISE-IN at Spanish Springs that (usually) brings in multitudes of people packed in from ALL OVER the central FL area (NOT just mainly locals). I believe things are relatively good here because we are in a pretty much contained bubble but when the bubble bursts and them thar outsiders come a'piling in that can be problematic. They didn't have a CRUISE-IN for all the months things were generally good in FL but as soon as it starts going down hill they do this. THAT I can't understand. And the expected "if you don't feel safe don't go" replies have nothing to do with all the people from outside the bubble bringing in all their crap.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:51 AM

I would rather be dead than being just one more sheeple.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:57 AM

Sadly Few people are taking this seriously anymore. Things will get much worse. We’re Doomed!
Old 11-25-2020, 06:03 AM

I think I will stop eating in restaurants for awhile. Pick ups only.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
If some people don’t start doing something different those numbers are going to sky rocket.
Different? Like locking yourself up and not coming out. That kind of different? Life is short so enjoy your next breath as someone else is taking their last
Old 11-25-2020, 06:30 AM

Doomed, really !!!
Old 11-25-2020, 06:47 AM

OMG! Let’s all stay home and cower in our houses. That’s why I worked for 50 years, to succumb to something that nobody really knows the truth about. Believe what you want and stay home!
Old 11-25-2020, 07:04 AM

What’s the survival rate of COVID?
Old 11-25-2020, 07:17 AM

Let's face it. People's opinions and habits are pretty much baked in at this point. Either you believe and follow the scientific recommendations or you don't.

To me, one superspreader can infect a lot of people here. I follow the recommendations, but I know there is no guarantee.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

It is flu season. Always be careful this time of year. Sorry but hard to believe any news or govern reports. They all have their agenda.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:31 AM

Snow birds bringing disease down. And no. Obese and sick people should stay in. I see people on oxygen out eating.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:48 AM
Thanked 1,113 Times in 245 Posts
Default I will not buy into the fear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
There seems to be a recent spike in COVID cases. It appears there are approx. 100 new cases in 2 days in The Villages Sumter County. YIKES!!!
Does anyone plan to do anything differently based on these new numbers??
No I don't. I haven't worn a mask or followed a guideline since this whole fiasco created by the media & so called experts began. I am in my late 60's and have been exposed to known persons with active COVID (as in sleeping next to my infected wife), never wore a mask, and never developed any symptoms.

COVID is only serious for a very small percentage of individuals with preexisting conditions in which the coronavirus is the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.

Stop paying any attention to the news! "Misinformation is just as dangerous as the disease is right now," says Erie News Now Contributor, Dr. Becky Dawson. "I think we are spreading misinformation as quickly as we are spreading the disease."
Closed Thread

Tags
cases, spike, covid, villages, county

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.