Spike in Villages COVID cases

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 08:54 AM

we have herd immunity
Old 11-25-2020, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

Everyone is so negative about the drive thru testing..but guess what..you wanna come into fl,or especially fly out you aren't getting on that plane without the test that has negative results... which takes 3 days. So no available appointments on monday...loved one will not be home for Thanksgiving. ☹
Old 11-25-2020, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

From the Florida Covid Dashboard, yesterday.

New Cases Nov 24: Lake County-57, Marion County-136, Sumter County-33

Only a small portion of The Villages lies in Lake County and it includes the cities of Leesburg and Tavares. The same can be said for Marion county which include Ocala. Most of The Villages lies in Sumter County and the Federal Prison is also in Sumter County.

I would assume that the majority of these cases are in the largest cities and the prison. I would also think that only a small number of those 226 cases were in The Villages.

I have a friend whose wife tested positive. He also got test and was positive. They went back a few days later to be retested and were both negative. Were their positive results counted as new cases?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
The county commissions of Sumter, Lake, and Marion counties need to enact mask mandates now! That really should be done at the state level, but Gov. DeSantis is actually obstructing common-sense anti-COVID-19 measures.

The good news is that vaccines are on the horizon. The bad news is that mass vaccinations are even further on the horizon, and people will be dying in large numbers until the great majority of people are vaccinated.
Thank you Chicken Little. If you don't like the way this State is being run then leave. As a result of these idiotic mandates more people are dying from suicide and drug overdose. Many people have been economically destroyed because of the shut downs. And after all of their genius plans and draconian rules, the virus is still spreading.

I for one appreciate living in a State where there is no government nanny telling me what I can or can't do. Open up the States and using their common sense and personal risk tolerance, let the people decide what risk they want to take.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
If we could at least restrict new cases to those that do not wear masks. I understand they have the right to believe as the see fit and it is their right to pass on.
🤔. That comment sure doesn’t jive with the statement in your profile pic. Might want to make a change one way or the other.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
If we could at least restrict new cases to those that do not wear masks. I understand they have the right to believe as the see fit and it is their right to pass on.
you're saying that they have the "right" to pass the disease on to me? You can go ahead and reap that benefit .... covid is real... why should someone infect me because they are selfish? I am not a fool...I'm cautious.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:37 AM

no, you do not...not till 70% of a population has been infected
Old 11-25-2020, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
If you are reading information from that other website you are falling for their clickbait. Do a Google search for "Florida covid dashboard" and look at the website from arcgis.com. The data is broken down in great detail. Sumter county and the zip codes associated with The Villages are doing very well as compared to the rest of the state. Yes, there are positive cases, this has become just a fact of life these days, but one needs to look at things like the number of tests performed, positivity rate, death rate, etc. to get the entire picture. I'm not saying that there isn't a problem or concern with covid19 and that we all should not be being cautions and not take risks, it just not as bad as that other site wants to make it sound. Be cautions, take what precautions you feel you need for yourself, there is a risk and it is real, but the sky is not falling.

I studied journalism for 4 years and one of the topics we regularly discussed in every class was journalistic integrity (pretty much a non-existent concept these days), bias, sensationalism, and of course yellow journalism (Yellow journalism - Wikipedia). This was 40 years ago and most of this discussion was referring to the supermarket tabloids of the day like the National Enquirer and the like. The tabloids have moved from the printed page.

Today of course, we have the internet, and everything is fair game, you can say what you want and twist facts or pseudo facts to reflect whatever opinion you want. In this case, if you "hate The Villages", "hate the developer", "hate Donald Trump", want to hear how anything can be turned negative against the afore mentioned, or are maybe just a bored and miserable person, that other site may be the one for you. If your a fan of that site, I'd also recommend the website Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info .
Old 11-25-2020, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
The county commissions of Sumter, Lake, and Marion counties need to enact mask mandates now! That really should be done at the state level, but Gov. DeSantis is actually obstructing common-sense anti-COVID-19 measures.

The good news is that vaccines are on the horizon. The bad news is that mass vaccinations are even further on the horizon, and people will be dying in large numbers until the great majority of people are vaccinated.
Totally wrong. A mask mandate will not change the numbers. Almost every infected has stated that they wear a mask. Whether or not it helps is not the question, because it may protect some. It does not keep folks from becoming infected in all cases. It is nothing more than coughing into your shirt sleeve. If you think that the mask is the shield to keep you from catching the virus then you are sure to become infected by your carelessness. The ONLY way to avoid the virus is to stay away from it, period. Either stay in your home or distance yourself from EVERYONE, including family. The mask will hinder the virus but not stop it. You may get lucky and the mask will happen to stop enough of it to make you safe that one time that you are around someone that is infected (which is very slim chance encounter anyway). It's just common sense. If some doctors say that nothing but certified N95 masks work, and that anything else causes more of a chance of being infected, then why take a chance that one doctor is smarter than another. Just avoid the virus by staying away from everyone until the vaccine is available. A loose mask is reported to cause an air vortex that works like a vacuum cleaner by sucking in a force of air that can be contaminated. A loose mask causes one to constantly manipulate it with one's hands, which IF contaminated can attach the virus to the face. Same as constantly touching your face with your hands. See how that works. Whether you chose to believe that or not, if you are really serious about avoiding infection, then just isolate yourself from any chance of contact with the virus.....stay away from people.
Personally, I plan to have Thanksgiving with a member of my family and a family friend as well as my spouse. The chances of one of them being infected is low enough that I have no problem taking a chance. I plan to enjoy my life regardless of how the gov feels about it. I refuse to allow the gov to mandate my life regarding this when they won't hold themselves equally responsible.

NO TO ANY MANDATE, so get over it. For those that NEED the gov nanny, do yourself a favor and check yourself into a "care" facility. Do not think you can mandate/control how other folks wish to live their lives, just because you are hysterical.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matandch View Post
Sadly Few people are taking this seriously anymore. Things will get much worse. We’re Doomed!
The sky is falling! The End is near!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

Why would anyone wanting to live in a nanny state move to Florida of all places? Boggles the mind. Have you not heard - This is the land of Florida Man
Old 11-25-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
From the Florida Covid Dashboard, yesterday.

New Cases Nov 24: Lake County-57, Marion County-136, Sumter County-33

Only a small portion of The Villages lies in Lake County and it includes the cities of Leesburg and Tavares. The same can be said for Marion county which include Ocala. Most of The Villages lies in Sumter County and the Federal Prison is also in Sumter County.

I would assume that the majority of these cases are in the largest cities and the prison. I would also think that only a small number of those 226 cases were in The Villages.

I have a friend whose wife tested positive. He also got test and was positive. They went back a few days later to be retested and were both negative. Were their positive results counted as new cases?
this is why we see different numbers & reports, which leads to different attitudes in residents absorbing the info. it's getting tougher & tougher to find any truth in reports, & the poster who wrote about yellow journalism hit it out of the park. people killed in auto crashes have covid on their death certificates. ???
Old 11-25-2020, 11:14 AM
Default :ohdear:

Quote:
The recently released Danish study clearly says Masks are ineffective. Beyond that, the Great Barrington Declaration, despite MSM efforts to deny it, shows Covid as largely a hoax. Give it a rest!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:15 AM
Sage

yes, Gulfcoast--it's why we fled the northeast --it was Florida or bust
Old 11-25-2020, 11:16 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,757 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
If some people don’t start doing something different those numbers are going to sky rocket.
Any ideas on what more we can do ? People are eating outdoors, most clubs are not meeting or doing "zoom" meetings, lots of walking and biking on my neighborhood, everyone is FAR from others, I've yet to see a golf foursome that was not FOUR different carts (except a few couples of course), shopped in Publix, Winn Dixie, and Adi's and have yet to see any individuals without masks (which I have substantial doubts about as "protection" but I certainly comply, and from what I see daily so do most people).
Closed Thread

Tags
cases, spike, covid, villages, county

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.