Cars have the rightaway don't stop!

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Gold member
Default Cars have the rightaway don't stop!

Please tell your guest that they are not being polite when they stop and let golf carts cross the street. Let them know that when they stop to let carts cross they are messing up the traffic flow. Also the people behind them may not stop they hit them and knock them into the golf cart not a good thing.

The indecision takes longer by trying to figure out what people are going to do than a smooth traffic flow of people just doing what they are supposed to do.

Again please tell your guest as they drive in The Villages not to wave carts to cross in front of them. It may seem like the nice thing to do but it isn't.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Indy-Guy;

I run into this problem every day. I don't think it's just the guests trying to be polite. Many Villagers seem to not understand the rules. You're absolutely right about it creating a confusing and potentially serious problem. Sometimes it almost becomes a shouting match . . . "go ahead, no before me, no you go ahead, I insist, oh just get the hell out of my way". I'll bet some clever TOTVer could work up a fabulous comedy skit.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Actually its funny you bring this up !!! I just had Plexiglas installed in the floorboards of my car so that I can look down and see if I recognize who I just ran over........
Is this how reality shows got started ?????

I have HD fumar ....
Old 02-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Default Agree--agree

people who appear to be "nice" are really just screwing up the flow of traffic and possibly going to get someone killed because those that know the rules...follow the rules, and those that don't will watch others and learn. Stop being so DAMN POLITE and yet being stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
Please tell your guest that they are not being polite when they stop and let golf carts cross the street. Let them know that when they stop to let carts cross they are messing up the traffic flow. Also the people behind them may not stop they hit them and knock them into the golf cart not a good thing.

The indecision takes longer by trying to figure out what people are going to do than a smooth traffic flow of people just doing what they are supposed to do.

Again please tell your guest as they drive in The Villages not to wave carts to cross in front of them. It may seem like the nice thing to do but it isn't.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:40 PM

Uhh.....who's on first?"
Old 02-18-2009, 01:53 PM

When we first visited TV, I was approaching the cart street crossing just west of Morse and Lake Sumter Landing. A cart was coming at a right angle and I had absolutely no idea who had the right-of-way. Not wanting to kill a couple of people in my first 5 minutes in TV, I stopped. A few seconds of horns and one finger salutes clued me in that stopping wasn't the correct response and I moved on. That is how most of us learn about the protocol in TV I think. There needs to be better signage and a prominent warning in the materials given to visitors about driving in the unique environment of TV.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

No, No, No, more signs or pamplets. Just follow the rules of the road you learned as a new driver. Why, oh why, whould you stop without a stop sign and motion a driver who has a stop sign to proceed???? Have you ever done that for another car? Common Sense!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Platinum member

You are right on, Bogie Shooter. That happens to me all the time. People stop when they don't have a stop sign and run them when they do... especially when they come out of a tunnel and there is a big "YIELD" sign there. They just run right thru. Maybe I shouldn't, but when some idiot waves me on like that, I just go. I figure it saves time in the long run, keeps traffic flowing better... and bottom line, why argue with an idiot!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
You are right on, Bogie Shooter. That happens to me all the time. People stop when they don't have a stop sign and run them when they do... especially when they come out of a tunnel and there is a big "YIELD" sign there. They just run right thru. Maybe I shouldn't, but when some idiot waves me on like that, I just go. I figure it saves time in the long run, keeps traffic flowing better... and bottom line, why argue with an idiot!
Well, I don't. I make them move on I just sit there. Think about it, if they do that to a new cart driver the cart driver now thinks he has the right of way....and now thinks all drivers will be giving him the high sign to move on thru. And the car driver will continue to make the same dumb move the next day.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 PM

(...Angelic music playing in the background. Sun shining blindingly bright...)

WOW! I thought I was the only one! I agree, there are those who are being TOO polite. Yes, we should all try to help each other out. But I absolutely think that some folks are overly courteous. Stopping when you don't have a stop sign to let someone cross who does have a stop sign may make you feel like you are the ultimate samaritan, but to the guy behind you who is not expecting you to stop for no reason, you are the ultimate idiot.

This happens to me almost daily over near Southern Trace Plaza. For some reason, many of the golf cart drivers don't feel the need to slow down, let alone STOP. Inevitably, as I turn from 466 onto CR 101 I find my self slamming on the breaks becasue the guy in front of me has stopped to allow one (or two or TEN) golf cart cross Wedgewood before the car turns right into the Plaza.

TV puts out a pamphlet about golf cart safety and there are classes about it as well. They state that golf carts must yield to autos IN ALL CASES. And if you speak to law enforcement in the area (I have, cause I wanted to know) they will tell you the same. Besides, why would you risk your life, even if you ARE right? I have yet to see a magic forcefield stop an auto from causing serious damage to a golf cart just because the golf cart driver was right.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 AM
Sage

x

Last edited by senior citizen; 04-13-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Platinum member

When we were looking at a villa that was for sale, the owner said that they had bought another villa behind Publix and Spanish Springs because she had low vision and she could walk to the stores from their new villa.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post

Are there any "safer" recommended "villages" or neighborhoods where they WOULD NOT HAVE TO CROSS BUSY HIGHWAYS? They would appreciate hearing from any and all non drivers who have managed to survive and thrive in THE VILLAGES........using only golf carts and or walking.
You can drive a golf cart anywhere in The Villages .... to get groceries, medical appoinments, entertainment, play golf. It is not necessary to drive a car. There is a shuttle service to the airport. And also taxi cabs. You cannot cross the really busy country roads (e.g., CR 466, CR 101). There are tunnels under the roads so that golf carts can cross safely.

There are many, many Villages that offer easy access to shopping and entertainment. For instance I live in Belvedere Village and shopping is five minutes away by golf cart .. you could also walk. Also five minutes to Walmart, Library, Medical and Dental offices, Eye Institute, Publix, Bells, five restaurants including Olive Garden and Bonefish Grill, etc.

It sounds as if your friends needs a lifestyle preview to truly understand The Villages lifestyle. We'd be happy to show them around.

Last edited by Barefoot; 04-03-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Senior Citizen

Its hard to get closer to a Supermarket than living in the VIllages Caroline or Virginia Trace if you want to go to Sweetbay. I can literally walk to Sweetbay or the LSL Town Square from my house. Many of us in the neighborhood use Sweetbay as our local 7-11 simply because it is so convient to get to...and its golf cart accessible.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Default Novice golf cart drivers

I agree that common sense should rule but I remember when we had our life style visit and we rented a cart, we were given no instruction. Many people who have never driven a golf cart don't understand that there are rules just like driving a car. I think all renters should be given a one page "rules of the road sheet" that they have to sign. I remember encountering people driving in the middle of a tunnel not understanding "lanes." As golfers, we were used to a cart but it was obvious to us that alot of people were clueless. In fairness, the first time driving around TV in a golf cart is a little scary.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.