Spraying out your enclosed lanai? How do you get rid of the water?

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2020, 07:24 AM

Those of us who have pools, need to clean the lanai flooring. If you have any small hills, the water washes down over the dirt and pools along the edges of the birdcage.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:22 AM

if you have a builders grade lanai take a cordless drill/driver remove the aluminum threshold (s) and direct your water out the door. Very easy to do .
Old 10-03-2020, 09:47 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default No need - no worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
An enclosed lanai is a indoor room there is no need to hose the floor. Our floor is porcelain tile and we simply vacuum it when needed and sponge mop it if it get's too dirty for a vacuum which is only a couple times per year. There is a water dam that keeps any potential leaks from coming in so you cannot sweep water out the door. You won't get dirt and/or sand blowing in unless you leave your doors open for an extended period of time and even then just vacuum it.
Spot on. No need for gallons of water just a bucket and sponge mop.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:50 AM

I don't have an open lanai but I have seen weep holes on other lanai. Good luck
Old 10-03-2020, 02:02 PM

As we had a dog when lanai was built, we had a measure of grass put down, the rest in concrete which we tiled. That with a doggie door allowed us to spend time away from home and not worry about the dog. And later on a cat! As to water, drill holes through wall that encloses lanai and the door. Anoles come and go, water pours out. Only once had to open door in 20 years.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
We bought a plastic weep hole From the guy mentioned above and husband Installed. Only open flap when cleaning and works well though last amount of water needs to be swept through as mentioned.
I agree. You are supposed to open the drain when washing off the floor. They work great and are easy to remove and replace with a small tool that you are given
Screen Room Drains - "One & Only Patented Drain"
Old 10-03-2020, 03:41 PM
Default We have one of the plugs-works great

Our maintenance mans father in law developed this item and he installs them for you.
Labor is reasonable as is the units they install.
Call for Tim Cox
+1 (352) 342-7696
His wife Deena can set this all up for you
Old 10-03-2020, 04:51 PM
Default Cleaning and draining screened lanai floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy8432 View Post
Although we haven’t yet talked to a contractor regarding enclosing our lanai, I am curious to hear from fellow Villagers about how they keep their lanai clean. We used to live in New Mexico and we had an open (no screen) lanai on the back of our home. Almost weekly, I sprayed off the tile and was able to easily squeegee off the dusty, dirty water on to the lawn. Here in Florida, all screened lanais have a bottom rail attached directly to the concrete. Obviously, dirty water can’t get underneath that bottom rail.

Has anyone heard of, or seen, weep holes through that bottom rail with some sort of removable gate that can be used to direct water through? Or is mopping the solution? Curious to hear all ideas. Thanx in advance.
Before we enclosed our lanai here's how I got rid of the water.
Periodic cleaning - I'd loosen (don't remove) the 8mm bolts holding down the bottom metal rail. Insert plastic shims under the rails several feet apart. (Plastic shims work better than the wooden ones). That provides enough room under the rail for the water to drain underneath. Wash and rinse the floor, squeegee the water under the rails, then finish up with a leaf blower to get the rest of the water. Let it dry, then tighten (ratchet wrench) the bolts back to the floor.

Last edited by HogPilot; 10-03-2020 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-04-2020, 12:16 AM
Gold member

1.Use your leaf blower
2. Unscrew the screw on top of the rail just enough to stick a coin under it and retighten it. The small space will allow water to drain.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
you could keep the lanai screen door open and push the water out that way

we found that we didn't care for all the water in the lanai and had it enclosed after a few months...now we use
it year round no matter the weather
We have drains in new areas - I drilled small holes at the bottom of bottom rail where cement crack is located;make it easy for water to exit...
Old 10-05-2020, 08:10 AM

I was not happy with the work done with this system. In addition, the flap has broken on one of my drains. Would look at a lanai where this has been done before proceeding.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

Once you fully enclose a lanai you have created a conditioned space. A mop and a bucket might be in order.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Easy fix, I think I got this from Bob Vila online somewhere. I took a small wrench and loosened the bolt just a tad at the far corner where the water pools. I slipped a coin (I used a nickel) under the railing and re-tightened it. The water drains fine now. You still need to mop/clean it, but the water drains pretty nicely. Total cost, 5-cents, total time, 5 minutes.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:04 PM

We have a lanai + birdcage. Rainwater accumulates in the corners of the birdcage and does not drain out. During house design, we requested deco drains, but the builder did not install them. Now, T&D wants to raise the cage frame slightly and insert nails under it to create weep-hole space. I'm concerned about whether this is a good long-term solution (e.g. will some of the nails slip out over time). Has anyone had experience with this "fix"?
Old 10-10-2020, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post
Before we enclosed our lanai here's how I got rid of the water.
Periodic cleaning - I'd loosen (don't remove) the 8mm bolts holding down the bottom metal rail. Insert plastic shims under the rails several feet apart. (Plastic shims work better than the wooden ones). That provides enough room under the rail for the water to drain underneath. Wash and rinse the floor, squeegee the water under the rails, then finish up with a leaf blower to get the rest of the water. Let it dry, then tighten (ratchet wrench) the bolts back to the floor.
I loosened the bolts, and inserted plastic washers every two feet. Then I tightened the bolts back down to there is about a 1/8" space under the rail permanently.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, water, rail, bottom, curious

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.