Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2023, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

thx for the input. i'm sure i'll check it out @ some point
Old 03-19-2023, 11:21 PM
Platinum member

I’m happy Sprouts opened here.

Will wait until after Snowbird season to try them out.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I went to Sprouts today, just to browse. To me, it looks a lot like Earth Fare that went out of business. They have a lot of stuff, but I don't think it will replace Publix as my favorite grocery store. The prices seem comparable to Publix for the things that I buy. Maybe someone can point out something that would cause me to return.
Sprouts is not targeting the Publix clientele as they carry more organic and no preservatives products that appeals to those wanting to live a healthier lifestyle. Sprouts will not appeal to those who prefer Mid-West cheese or soup based casseroles recipes as there main menu choices. We used to shop Sprouts regularly in NorCal for years. I'm not the corp planner for Sprouts but I would have looked at a location further south in the villages to be closer to the younger democratic who would be more likely to buy their product mix.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:31 AM

I'll stick to Aldis on 466A, easy to get in and out, Sprouts looks like a nightmare to get out of, bad planning it looks like.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I was at the opening day, which was only 2 days ago. The "recent High Holy days" were in September of last year. Unless you mean the Christian high holy day of Easter, which isn't until April. So if they reported to you the price of eggs at the 2-day-ago event, last September, then you need to go to your local preacher and let them know you've spoken to god.

Second of all - I didn't see any eggs for $12/dozen. Happy Eggs were available at $6-something, and they had Handsome Eggs as well for nearly the same price, maybe a little more. They ALSO had Heritage Eggs for something like $9/dozen, but those are specialty eggs and you're paying the premium for that. I personally wouldn't, I'd just go to a farm that had a variety of breeds and ask for a mixed dozen from them, for around $6/dozen.

They had other eggs as well, all within the $5-9 range, per dozen.

The register worked fine while I was there, maybe this happened in the first couple of hours of being opened or after I left. I was there around lunch time.

Their prices are similar to those at Publix, but Sprouts specializes in produce and offers a wide variety of local seasonal produce.
A dozen eggs for between $5 and $9 a dozen!? What kind of chickens lay something that expensive? Aldi's is running them at a little over $3, and they even come in a cardboard container.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:49 AM

I wish Sprouts well! I was there and there is so much more of a selection than other grocery stores in many categories. They will do well however with all the fast food junkie seniors here it may be a challenge! Beautiful store. The location not being directly on 466 may be an issue. Lots of people will drive by not knowing it's there.

Last edited by msilagy; 03-21-2023 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Will probably just divide their target market with the folks shopping at Fresh Market just up the street.
I love Fresh Market, but don’t consider them a true organic store. Many of their store-made products contains carrageenan, an unnecessary food additive that I will not feed to my animals. So, I buy their organic milk and eggs, which are excellent, and their fish, but nothing pre-made. Looking forward to checking out Sprouts.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

What's the difference between Sprouts and Fresh Market?
Old 03-20-2023, 06:42 AM

If you don't care about healthy eating, then walmart/publix will support your needs and the local doctors bank accounts.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:47 AM

We went on Saturday afternoon and it was so packed that we weren't able to see everything, but still managed to spend over $100. We bought maitake mushrooms, eryngii mushrooms, daikon, a bottle of wine, some French cheese, bulk macadamia nuts, and various vegan products not available anywhere else.

I also noticed on their website yesterday that they carry celery root, so I'm looking forward to having ratatouille crepes and a celery root remoulade soon. Fresh Market is okay as far as it goes, but it doesn't have the selection to make a trip there from south of 44 worthwhile.

I agree with the other poster who said that building Sprouts south of 44 would have been more sensible, given the demographic down here; nevertheless, we'll still go to Sprouts regularly, but not as frequently as we would have otherwise.

Edited to add that golf-cart accessibility is a definite plus. It will make a nice outing on one of our many gorgeous-weather days.

Last edited by OwnedByCats; 03-20-2023 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Stopped Sunday morning, because needed shrimp. Only a hand full of people shopping, but lots of employees. I was big earth fare, since we don’t buy anything with preservatives or additives. Their brands are pretty common for organic, usually their own brand.

I had just did my TJ’s run on Friday, so didn’t need much. Spent less than 19 minutes getting what I needed. Have shopped Sprouts for long time, if you grew up with healthy organic, non preservatives, than you will be happy, and know cost is never an issue.

If you are a fast food, could care less how many preservatives are in your food, don’t waste your money, at Sprouts. Publix is right down the street.

I miss Earth fare, and if Whole Foods was closer I would shop there couple times a week. By the way the shrimp were excellent, as was the raw cashews I used for supper today. Wish they would open at 6am but not going to happen. The 10 pm close will be interesting, to see if it’s worth staying that late
I’m guessing you have never know hunger. I’m also guessing you have never had to dig dimes out of your couch in order to make it to the next paycheck as you work your way through college, or had your parents describe to you how they went to bed hungry, during the Great Depression. I think about the many that still do in this country. If you have, maybe you should remember those days and be thankful for what ever food is on your plate. If you haven’t, count yourself lucky.

Last edited by TeresaE; 03-20-2023 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-20-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterflower View Post
If you don't care about healthy eating, then walmart/publix will support your needs and the local doctors bank accounts.
Trader Joes would be a choice that "home grown" Floridians would recognize and would probably be more excited about.

Publix has been around since sand was turned to farming dirt in Florida. Publix has always been higher priced and is getting even higher which is not surprising since the people they cater to can always afford it.

Winn Dixie is another "home grown" store known to native Floridians. W D, was mostly likely the first to market BOGOs in Florida. The store that Publix most likely realized they needed to copy to draw in those not willing to pay more for their name and store overhead. None the less, some would say "Don't knock Publix" I am sure.

Glad to know where Sprout's "roots" are located. Very interesting...

Thinking I will stick with grocery stores rooted in FL history and culture.

Last edited by GizmoWhiskers; 03-20-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
Sprouts is not targeting the Publix clientele as they carry more organic and no preservatives products that appeals to those wanting to live a healthier lifestyle. Sprouts will not appeal to those who prefer Mid-West cheese or soup based casseroles recipes as there main menu choices. We used to shop Sprouts regularly in NorCal for years. I'm not the corp planner for Sprouts but I would have looked at a location further south in the villages to be closer to the younger democratic who would be more likely to buy their product mix.
Guessing you meant younger “demographic” although what you said generally holds true as most of that persuasion believe whatever they’re told. We kind of take issue with your inference that those that shop at Publix aren’t, or don’t want to be, healthy. There are no good or bad foods, ONLY good or bad diets. Shop the perimeter and you’re fine. Organic does NOT necessarily equal healthy. OR safe. OR wholesome. A Hershey bar is healthy…once in a while. It’s called mental health. It makes you happy. And that’s just as important.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:05 AM

I love the bulk section at Sprouts! They even have bulk spices. Buy just what you need.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterflower View Post
An apple is an apple an apple. Rice is rice is rice. A egg is an egg is an egg! Calories are calories. Even YOUR ORGANIC GURUS will tell you there absolutely NO NUTRITIONAL difference in eating “organic”. The ONLY thing that keeps you out of the Dr’s office is CONSISTENT EXERCISE AND A BALANCED DIET. There are no good foods or bad foods. Only good diets and bad diets.

Tags
sprouts, lot, publix, favorite, grocery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.