Squares opening

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2020, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I am all for positive moving forward. When the squares open the developer will have a plan, just like the major attractions have in Florida.
It’s sad that you think they will have to shut down the barS, and close the squares again. I truly believe that there are many intelligent people that live here, along with many essential workers that have survived and still walk among us.
There are many "intelligent people" and also a lot of "not so intelligent people" who kill it for the so-called "intelligent people." When (not if) infection rates start going up again this winter as virtually every science based and not political based opinion says you think they will keep the bars opened? They already tried in once and it failed probably due to the lack of all those "intelligent people" which is why this State performed at the bottom of the pile in deaths and infections albeit not that bad in this area but lousy all around it. Still waiting to see what happens IF ANYTHING on Oct 5th wrt to the "squares." Hope it's true!
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
The Villages.
Believe it or don't, I could not care less. Just sharing information, not rumor. They were scheduled to open in August but had to walk that back after bars were shut down by the governor.
Thank YOU ! Hope you got the word straight, and, if you did not, certainly am not going to admonish you for "spreading rumors". I'm going to keep the positive thought, hope you got the true information, and "hope". As an aside, I also "hope" this news does not open up a whole new round of name calling and nasty snide remarks from those who do NOT want to go hear the music ! Don't people realize "most" of us understand, "most" of us DO have friends or neighbors with serious health issues that make even open air listening to music something their physicians advise against. But the vitriol posted at times, the hate, and even one "I hope you DIE from the virus" kind of remarks are so out of place. If you read this and other posts, and you believe (or know) you have issues that could make the present virus a serious matter for you, no one will "blame" you at all for not coming down. I simply do not believe most people are that hateful, but, please people, if you personally are not well enough to come down right now, do not start posting nasty remarks to those who are so happy to see this small uplifting pleasure.... listening to music. If you can't, or don't want to go, please just read the post and pass on to the next. Don't feel compelled to write remarks similar to: Go join the germ crowd if you wish, I hope you all DIE ! Yep, people will do things like that. Personally I can't ski any more, I do not post I hope my friends who still can will fall and break their necks this winter !
Old 09-18-2020, 05:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
There are many "intelligent people" and also a lot of "not so intelligent people" who kill it for the so-called "intelligent people." When (not if) infection rates start going up again this winter as virtually every science based and not political based opinion says you think they will keep the bars opened? They already tried in once and it failed probably due to the lack of all those "intelligent people" which is why this State performed at the bottom of the pile in deaths and infections albeit not that bad in this area but lousy all around it. Still waiting to see what happens IF ANYTHING on Oct 5th wrt to the "squares." Hope it's true!
Since the rest of my family is still in healthcare, as is more than a hundred Of my colleagues, I have a more positive outlook.
If you face Covid on a daily basis, with not so great PPEs And are doing well, I don’t worry about a possible drive by event. After all one could die in their sleep without ever being exposed.
My hope is they will require the squares be resident only, to give them more control
Old 09-18-2020, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Squares

Quote:
Since the rest of my family is still in healthcare, as is more than a hundred Of my colleagues, I have a more positive outlook.
If you face Covid on a daily basis, with not so great PPEs And are doing well, I don’t worry about a possible drive by event. After all one could die in their sleep without ever being exposed.
My hope is they will require the squares be resident only, to give them more control
That can not happen! The squares are open to the public.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Sounds like a plan.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
That can not happen! The squares are open to the public.
True, but since a % Number has to be controlled, and the developer owns the land they could have ideas.
If you get to the newly opened square, as a resident and find most of the clientele under 25 and you as a resident who will spend money, can’t get in. It will be a sad state of affairs.

After all Disney controlled their openings, first with invites only, then moving to Passholders only. Then didn’t open hotels to control the crowds, with almost everyone being a Florida resident. It’s worked for Disney by controlling who gets in.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
The logic of the above is really lacking. That's like saying "I smoked cigarettes and didn't get lung cancer, so you don't have to worry about smoking". Anyone who reads the papers or online news can see Florida infection/death stats are going up, not down, ever since they started reopening. Right now, this area isn't as bad, but wait until the snowbirds start coming back and the usual tourists. We know that social distancing won't be happening on the squares. There will be the science deniers who won't wear masks. Its a recipe for disaster.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Great news! Even better based upon the responses in this thread there are plenty of volunteers to stay home!!!!
Old 09-18-2020, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Doesn't it make one wonder why only one person "heard" the date!?!?
Old 09-18-2020, 06:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
The logic of the above is really lacking. That's like saying "I smoked cigarettes and didn't get lung cancer, so you don't have to worry about smoking". Anyone who reads the papers or online news can see Florida infection/death stats are going up, not down, ever since they started reopening. Right now, this area isn't as bad, but wait until the snowbirds start coming back and the usual tourists. We know that social distancing won't be happening on the squares. There will be the science deniers who won't wear masks. Its a recipe for disaster.
And that why one has the freedom to choose. Stay at home, groceries delivered to your door. Worrying is just as unhealthy.
Birds were here when things were shut down, many never left. Since you know people won’t wear masks, it’s a good reason to continue your way of life.
Yes smoked and no lung cancer, And I came back from Nam.
And yes Analogy of healthcare workers is pretty close. I lost count of how many times I was exposed to something that would cause serious harm to my health. Countless X-ray without gowns, TB no PPEs, and the list goes on, usually 3 to 4 weeks later and yet still around. You never have the time to worry about what can happen to yourself, only the outcome of those you care for. And yet most healthcare workers don’t think themselves as hero’s work during this crisis. It’s just their job.

Looks like the Sharon has a show October 9

Last edited by thelegges; 09-18-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Doesn't it make one wonder why only one person "heard" the date!?!?
A Starbucks employee in LSL heard nothing about it but she may have missed the "announcement." I'll speak to the manager in the morning. She should/would know because they have to reschedule as they are running at bare minimum employees in the evenings. It would be nice if it is true.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
And that why one has the freedom to choose. Stay at home, groceries delivered to your door. Worrying is just as unhealthy.
Birds were here when things were shut down, many never left. Since you know people won’t wear masks, it’s a good reason to continue your way of life.
Yes smoked and no lung cancer, And I came back from Nam.
And yes Analogy of healthcare workers is pretty close. I lost count of how many times I was exposed to something that would cause serious harm to my health. Usually 3 to 4 weeks later and yet still around. You never have the time to worry about what can happen to yourself, only the outcome of those you care for. And yet most healthcare workers don’t think themselves as hero’s work during this crisis. It’s just their job.
Why are you making this a binary decision? One doesn't have to only choose between (your quote) "Stay at home, groceries delivered to your door" and going into an uncontrolled crowd of dancers and drinkers and drunks bumping into each other. You think the old guys wearing their orange striped vests will be able to control ANY crowd? Have you seen them trying to enforce the open aisles at LSL when a "good" band is there. After 20 minutes they give up and stand in the back.

There are other shades of grey in between exposing yourself to hundreds of people in a crowded environment and sitting home with the shades drawn. I'm glad your survived all your dangerous experiences but many others aren't and weren't that lucky.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
That would be good, but I doubt it will happen. Having lots of potentially asymptomatic younger people not wearing masks in the squares will scare away many resident Villagers.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:43 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

I heard the opening act is Jimmy Buffet.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

They can't open the squares to just Villagers. It's a public place. The entertainment is paid for by the businesses around the square and a hotel tax. Villages residents don't pay a dime for the entertainment.
So, as far as I'm concerned ... "first come, first served."
Closed Thread

Tags
squares, opening, october, yea, stay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.