Squares opening

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
Thank YOU ! Hope you got the word straight, and, if you did not, certainly am not going to admonish you for "spreading rumors". I'm going to keep the positive thought, hope you got the true information, and "hope". As an aside, I also "hope" this news does not open up a whole new round of name calling and nasty snide remarks from those who do NOT want to go hear the music ! Don't people realize "most" of us understand, "most" of us DO have friends or neighbors with serious health issues that make even open air listening to music something their physicians advise against. But the vitriol posted at times, the hate, and even one "I hope you DIE from the virus" kind of remarks are so out of place. If you read this and other posts, and you believe (or know) you have issues that could make the present virus a serious matter for you, no one will "blame" you at all for not coming down. I simply do not believe most people are that hateful, but, please people, if you personally are not well enough to come down right now, do not start posting nasty remarks to those who are so happy to see this small uplifting pleasure.... listening to music. If you can't, or don't want to go, please just read the post and pass on to the next. Don't feel compelled to write remarks similar to: Go join the germ crowd if you wish, I hope you all DIE ! Yep, people will do things like that. Personally I can't ski any more, I do not post I hope my friends who still can will fall and break their necks this winter !
Your wish that quote " I Hope You All Die ", is a terrible thing to wish on people.

Now that said those who are unfortunate to come down with Covid - 19... FYI, very few people actually die from it. Now % wise more die from the " Flu " than Covid-19 .

Since you can no longer ski perhaps you should think seriously about taking up Skateboarding. Or Waterskiing ....
Old 09-18-2020, 06:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Why are you making this a binary decision? One doesn't have to only choose between (your quote) "Stay at home, groceries delivered to your door" and going into an uncontrolled crowd of dancers and drinkers and drunks bumping into each other. You think the old guys wearing their orange striped vests will be able to control ANY crowd? Have you seen them trying to enforce the open aisles at LSL when a "good" band is there. After 20 minutes they give up and stand in the back.

There are other shades of grey in between exposing yourself to hundreds of people in a crowded environment and sitting home with the shades drawn. I'm glad your survived all your dangerous experiences but many others aren't and weren't that lucky.
Because there are many who are still in their homes, and having groceries delivered, it’s their decision. Shades drawn might be a little strange. We know a few who have not left their home since mid March. They are beyond afraid of ever coming in contact with anyone.

Then again we had 3 close friends die In August under 45, and not one had Covid. There are no guarantees in life, but one gets to choose how to live.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Because there are many who are still in their homes, and having groceries delivered, it’s their decision. Shades drawn might be a little strange. We know a few who have not left their home since mid March. They are beyond afraid of ever coming in contact with anyone.

Then again we had 3 close friends die In August under 45, and not one had Covid. There are no guarantees in life, but one gets to choose how to live.
"Beyond afraid" is an inaccurate assessment. For many people It is not fear but caution. One out of ten people die of Covid-19 if they catch it and they are in their late seventies or older. I am really getting tired of telling people that more people have not died of the seasonal flu than from Covid-19, but I was a teacher for many years so I will say it once more.

NOT FEAR. Caution.
More people have died in the world this year from Covid-19 than have died in the world this year from seasonal flu.

Covid-19 is very contagious but the safest way not to catch it and spread it is to wear a mask.

This is not a manufactured virus to boggle up the election in the U.S. It is a new version of an old virus and the damn thing is hell on wheels. It chokes you to death and you die gasping for air. It causes clots that cause strokes that can permanently impair you.

Most of us are pretty encouraged by the success of the vaccine clinical trials so far. We know that it may not keep people from getting it but it should keep people from getting it so bad.

The CDC keeps changing their advice because the information that they are accumulating is constantly refigured as new insight of the virus is learned.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Sorry about your friends but 200,000 others did die IN 6 MONTHS from this and thousands who did NOT die are now suffering debilitating and possibly permanent lung and/or heart damage and other side effects and while not from you I am so sick and tired of people (incorrectly) comparing this to the seasonal flu as there is no comparison. It's just puppeting fake information they are getting from the usual places. As for me I live a great life outdoors around here but I wouldn't be caught dead (oooops) NOW in a large crowd of people many who can't control themselves even when there was no pandemic. While I hope it's true for you I also sadly think it is possible this "squares opening" MIGHT unfortunately be yet another "Costco sighting".

Feel free to occupy my spot at LSL for now if there is truth to this "rumor" despite what the OP claims is fact. Oh, and a large number of shows for Oct and Nov have recently been cancelled. Some at Sharon and some at Savannah. My Queen tix have now been cancelled for the 3rd and final time. REALLY was hoping to see that at the end of October. Been getting lots of refunds from both over the last few weeks.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTho View Post
Your wish that quote " I Hope You All Die ", is a terrible thing to wish on people.

Now that said those who are unfortunate to come down with Covid - 19... FYI, very few people actually die from it. Now % wise more die from the " Flu " than Covid-19 .

Since you can no longer ski perhaps you should think seriously about taking up Skateboarding. Or Waterskiing ....
The fact is that more people die with COVID then the flu. 50% of the population has hypertension, 40% are obese and 1% have diabetes....all treatable under normal conditions. COVID attacks the immune system so the normal treatments can't help the immune system. So yes, a small percentage (I think 6%) die from the virus but the other 90+ percentage die with the virus and it is a contributor. I also ponder how many of those that say if you are sick stay home and haven't been tested.....we don't know how many are asymptomatic. Cases are going up, hospitalizations are going up, deaths are going up so yes, it's a personal decision, would be nice if people made it unselfishly....but those days are gone.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-19-2020, 05:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Get there early, groups will be limited to 50% of capacity and social distancing.....get ready to rumble.
Would it help it it was limited to residents only for a few months? A lot of people come in from other places.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:22 AM

Seems to me that the world, the country and The Villages are currently broken into 2 groups. Those that think masks and distancing are not important and those that do. All they need to do at the Squares is put a barrier down half of the Entertainment area and label it those who do and those who don’t. Want to be safe, sit on one side, don’t care, sit on the other. That way, you can have a better opportunity to keep distance from those who may not be as cautious as you.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGoldberg View Post
Seems to me that the world, the country and The Villages are currently broken into 2 groups. Those that think masks and distancing are not important and those that do. All they need to do at the Squares is put a barrier down half of the Entertainment area and label it those who do and those who don’t. Want to be safe, sit on one side, don’t care, sit on the other. That way, you can have a better opportunity to keep distance from those who may not be as cautious as you.
Yeah and I always thought they should have an area in the pools to pee in!!!!!
Anyone remember what it was like to be in a restaurant that had a “smoking section “.
Maybe the highways could have special lanes for drunk drivers, that might work.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

I would imagine we will wait a month or so to see how this plays out and than decide if we want to attend.

Hopefully the powers to be will set this up in a responsible manner having learned from the errors of the recent past.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:46 AM

I don't know about that. We had a smallish event of several artists scheduled to show art in Nov on the square. We were just informed they have cancelled it and said no events until 2021. If they cancelled our small event I can't see how they'd allow entertainment and the crowds that brings in.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
True, but since a % Number has to be controlled, and the developer owns the land they could have ideas.
If you get to the newly opened square, as a resident and find most of the clientele under 25 and you as a resident who will spend money, can’t get in. It will be a sad state of affairs.

After all Disney controlled their openings, first with invites only, then moving to Passholders only. Then didn’t open hotels to control the crowds, with almost everyone being a Florida resident. It’s worked for Disney by controlling who gets in.
Yes even B4 you get to Disney you will need to get to parking, then tickets and transportation boat or monorail. Not finished you will enter security area main gate.
Now THE SQUARES have nothing close to this. We are no where near the level of Disney. It will be first come first serve.
Rather than stand in line at kiosks I BYOB.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:16 AM

how about the classes (yoga etc.) when do they start? My wife has waited a long time
Old 09-19-2020, 06:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTho View Post

You are factually challenged Covid has taken 198,000 lives In 7 months
Old 09-19-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
October 5. YEA!
If you don't like it, stay home.
Why can’t people just say ,” yay! The square is opening!” And not add, “if you don’t like it stay home!” Why add the unkind zingers? Political I guess.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Would it help it it was limited to residents only for a few months? A lot of people come in from other places.
Sorry all roads in The Villages are public. Squares commercial property is owned and managed by Developer. Country Clubs are not Private. The only properties that access can be regulated are rec centers and pools
Closed Thread

Tags
squares, opening, october, yea, stay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.