Squirrels?

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2018, 03:00 PM

Nuisance Wildlife Regulations and Information

I've found a Have A Heart trap and euthanizing with a good pellet gun does the trick. Some of the advice given in this thread is illegal in Florida but I agree with one of the other posts, it's not likely that anyone will know unless one of your neighbors complains.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Platinum member

Old 11-11-2018, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
Two weeks ago a squirrel chowed thru the wiring harness on my car transmission. It cost $330 to fix. Other people paid as high as $3,000 to repair wiring harness after squirrel damage.

After the repair I painted the wiring harness with a mix of olive oil and habanero. Habanero is a spice 80 times hotter than Jalapeno pepper.
You can purchase automotive anti rodent tape for wiring harnesses. will probably last longer than olive oil
Old 11-11-2018, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Perfect. Where can I get one?
Old 11-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Ultimate solution is to get rid of the oaks. However, not possible when the oak tree gets a certain size. Two of our new homes in TV had an oak when we purchased - - gone shortly after moving in. Squirrels are not a laughing matter.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
About every oak around here produces acorns.

What else would it produce ?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 PM

I had a screen house over my pool at my last house in Jupiter. Down at Costco I had bought a 2-pack of water guns which worked like a 3-foot syringe. (they gave out a helluva blast, the kids loved them...)
Whenever a chitterbeast dared to jump on the screen house I'd yell at it and if that didn't work, I'd grab the "squirrel squirter" and let 'em have it. It was hilarious, they'd get off the screen and jump into the palm trees
behind the deck and do that outraged "chirk, chirk" act with accompanying tail flick.

Good times...
Old 11-11-2018, 10:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I've never seen any empty nip bottles on the ground in TV.
Oh yeah, they're there along many of the MMP cart paths and tunnels more so than other areas in the villages.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
What else would it produce ?
Squirrel food
Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 AM

I use the Have A Heart trap to catch the squirrels. The only way to eliminate them ( and I mean eliminate ) is to ELIMINATE them.. I use an exterminator commonly referred to as a pellet gun. Once they are trapped, you have to give them a headache, one shot does it.. Squirrels are not only bothersome, they harbor disease and are incredibly destructive to our property. Last year a house burned and the cause was found to be squirrels chewing through wiring in the attic.. Our squirrels up north are much bigger probably because food is more abundent Florida squirrels are scrawny little buggers who cannot find enough food wo they come to our property scavaging.. They are prolific so please no comments about me disturbing the balance of nature.. Anyway, this is my way of handling the PROBLEM
Old 11-12-2018, 07:21 AM

Put out a bird feeder and enjoy, and be thankful for the free show that God and Mother Nature has given you.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 AM

We have also trapped and relocated squirrels. Here is a website that may be helpful. It reiterates that you must take them at least 5 miles away, but preferably 10 miles. Relocating Squirrels - Release them into the Wild

We have been using the electric plug-in pest repellant for mice, and so far it has worked. You might check to see if this would work on squirrels. I have a tendency to overdo things...if it says to use one, I use two. :-) Best of luck...the cute little guys are quite annoying.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No. They are smarter than humans.

I have spoken.
You got that right! Like a human with a gun, LOL. Let them get into your house & they'll destroy it.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Yes, I have trapped 4 or 5 at our previous home. They were becoming a serious problem after chewing through a soffit. Once trapped, you have essentially two options. Drown them or relocate them. Some have the opinion that relocation must be far away. I took them about 10 miles away on the other side of an interstate so returning was going to be a real challenge. Good luck.
My mom has trapped and relocated 40+ squirels. She has the have a heart trap and then takes them for a ride 10-15 miles away and releases them in a park..
Old 11-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Have you done this? What steps did you take after trapping the varmint?
I had trouble with squirrels & chip monks back in Ohio & I caught them in cage trap that you catch musk rats in. I bet I caught 50 of these little critters in one summer. I didn't want to kill them after I caught them so I would take them about a 1/2 mi. form my house at a field & release them. So of my neighbors ask me why I just didn't drown them. I just thought it was easier to release them than to have to dig a hole & bury them. Beside some animal environmentalist would probably get wind of it & turn me in. Hope this help somewhat.
Closed Thread

Tags
squirrels, cage, year, time, open

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.