St. Charles St. gates

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM
The Wooz
Default St. Charles St. gates

I understand the fact that the gates to enter the Village of St. James are programmed to open as soon as the sensor detects your vehicle due to all the contractors entering during business hours. However, we've been here about 2 1/2 weeks and regardless of what time we enter, we have yet to have to use our card. Saturday, Sunday, 11:00 at night, etc. the gate will open as soon as you pull up to it. This is not what I would call a secure community. After 5 or so on weekdays and all day Sat. and Sunday, you shouldn't be able to enter without your gate pass. What's the deal?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Gold member

Hi The Wooz .... it won't be long before you realize that the gates and gate houses are jokes. This is NOT a gated community and anyone, just by pushing a button, can enter. Seems like an unnecessary expense when you consider the salaries, repairs, electricity usage, and more. I can think of only one gate house that is necessary and that's the one at 466 and Morse due to the two lanes becoming one lane ... a safety issue for sure. Others have different viewpoints, of course.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Veteran member

You don't need a card at any of the gates in TV. Just push the red button. After the contractors are finished the gates will require either a card or a push of the button. We are not a gated community just a community with gates.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Restricted Access

As far as I know The Villages has never been represented as a gated community. However, it is considered as a Restricted Access community. Since the streets are the property of the counties, they cannot be closed to the general public.

The gates are part of the unique environment and character of The Villages. It is nice to see a smiling face at the gates when you come home. It is nice to know there are security cameras at the gates that can provide a video record of the comings and goings of all. I know of at least one instance where some burglars were apprehended with the assistance of those cameras.

The gates also serve to manage the flow of traffic into the community which also makes some of the golf cart crossings safer.

As far as cost to maintain the gates, I estimate that if we spend the princely sum of $2,000,000 per year, we each pay only $40 per year (4 Johnnie Walker Blacks/yr). I wonder how much it would cost us to pay to maintain our own roads? (I know...our taxes maintain the roads anyway, but I suspect our individual toll for that is much less as it is buried inside the county general budgets)

Last edited by Indydealmaker; 07-31-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: second thoughts
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Default One big positive thing about all our gates to remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wooz View Post
I understand the fact that the gates to enter the Village of St. James are programmed to open as soon as the sensor detects your vehicle due to all the contractors entering during business hours. However, we've been here about 2 1/2 weeks and regardless of what time we enter, we have yet to have to use our card. Saturday, Sunday, 11:00 at night, etc. the gate will open as soon as you pull up to it. This is not what I would call a secure community. After 5 or so on weekdays and all day Sat. and Sunday, you shouldn't be able to enter without your gate pass. What's the deal?
Eventually (assuming you are new based upon few post) you will cross that same gate intersection on a golf cart and be very happy that all cars hv to stop. The gates closing prevent a lot of accidents.... Everywhere
Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 PM

And the value of that is pricesless
Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Eventually (assuming you are new based upon few post) you will cross that same gate intersection on a golf cart and be very happy that all cars hv to stop. The gates closing prevent a lot of accidents.... Everywhere
i agree
Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
As far as I know The Villages has never been represented as a gated community. However, it is considered as a Restricted Access community. Since the streets are the property of the counties, they cannot be closed to the general public.

The gates are part of the unique environment and character of The Villages. It is nice to see a smiling face at the gates when you come home. It is nice to know there are security cameras at the gates that can provide a video record of the comings and goings of all. I know of at least one instance where some burglars were apprehended with the assistance of those cameras.

The gates also serve to manage the flow of traffic into the community which also makes some of the golf cart crossings safer.

As far as cost to maintain the gates, I estimate that if we spend the princely sum of $2,000,000 per year, we each pay only $40 per year (4 Johnnie Walker Blacks/yr). I wonder how much it would cost us to pay to maintain our own roads? (I know...our taxes maintain the roads anyway, but I suspect our individual toll for that is much less as it is buried inside the county general budgets)
Good post regarding the value of TV gates especially the safety issue for golf carts. The Camera's are certainly of value also. Although we are not a true gated community as such, I believe the gates by just being there provide a certain level of security. The roaming security watch is also of value to our overall security in TV. In short, I feel real safe in TV.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post

Good post regarding the value of TV gates especially the safety issue for golf carts. The Camera's are certainly of value also. Although we are not a true gated community as such, I believe the gates by just being there provide a certain level of security. The roaming security watch is also of value to our overall security in TV. In short, I feel real safe in TV.
Roaming security? That's great.
Is it based on volunteers? or actual sheriffs?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Platinum member

If you did not have the gates it would be very difficult if not impossible to cross the TV streets with your golf cart in the winter months!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Veteran member

The gates are for traffic control, not for security. This is not a "gated community". With the exception of CYV neighborhoods, all of the streets in TV are public roads.

And at the risk of sounding "rude"...folks who buy, rent, or visit here should take the time to understand how things work.

Last edited by Skybo; 07-31-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 AM
Sage

Community watch people are villages employees. Not deputies. They carry radios and call deputies when necessary through their dispatcher.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.