St. Patrick's Day parade 3/18

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 05:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie1313 View Post
Today, at three different times, our radio station advertised The St. Patrick's Day Parade at Spanish Springs Town Square. Unfortunately, all three times they stated that the parade would start at 4:45 pm, not at 3:30, (which was the correct time). Stupidly, I fell for it, and doubted myself thinking it was at 3:30. My husband and I got there at 4:40, and the parade was over. Obviously they were trying to show that not many people were interested in the parade. Then what really got me angry, was a saw a women with a professional camcorder, taping a man, holding a mike. He was using all the people behind and around him, to make a video of the wonderful activities that The Villages offers. If they don't want us having parades, then why do they have the nerve to use those videos as PR to get people to move here? I had all to do to control myself from grabbing the mike and stating that it was all a lie. I love it here in The Villages, but hate that they're misleading people. Trish.
I don't understand. I think the entertainment department had festivities too.
I think that the entertainment departments festivities started at 4:45. I don't understand what was misleading.

I know that some people are very annoyed about not having a parade including residents. But was THAT parade that did happen due to the diligence of people who wanted it to happen being taped and passed off as something from the entertainment department?

I understand that the entertainment department has been recently sold to some folks called Vesco who had run it for considerable time and it is no longer owned by the developer. I understand that the entertainment on the squares was always funded by the merchants on the squares. Just to get things straight for one poster who thinks I work for TV which I don't, dagnabbit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a dog in this fight because we went to see the parades the first year or so we were here and then felt we had seen them. There are many, many, people who love parades here. And they also must love crowds. Us, not so much.

I just got up and didn't check today's Daily Sun to see if the residents parade was covered.

We will be hearing from a lot of people soon, I can tell by the intensity of your post.

Disclaimer; I don't work for TV. I am not benefitted in any way, shape or form, financially or with gifts or favors for saying the stuff I do.. I honestly and from my heart think that The Villages is all that and a bag of chips. AND to the anonymous person who has sent nasty PMs to me asking how much The Villages pay me for being so positive about it, I wish you had known me all of my life. NO ONE buys me.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-19-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Today, at three different times, our radio station advertised The St. Patrick's Day Parade at Spanish Springs Town Square. Unfortunately, all three times they stated that the parade would start at 4:45 pm, not at 3:30, (which was the correct time). Stupidly, I fell for it, and doubted myself thinking it was at 3:30. My husband and I got there at 4:40, and the parade was over. Obviously they were trying to show that not many people were interested in the parade. Then what really got me angry, was a saw a women with a professional camcorder, taping a man, holding a mike. He was using all the people behind and around him, to make a video of the wonderful activities that The Villages offers. If they don't want us having parades, then why do they have the nerve to use those videos as PR to get people to move here? I had all to do to control myself from grabbing the mike and stating that it was all a lie. I love it here in The Villages, but hate that they're misleading people. Trish.
What a disappointment that must have been........I thought I heard last year that the parades in TV were "history". ????
Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Default I went to the parade...

... and had a wonderful time. Thanks to all residence who participated. I WAS NEVER SO PROUD TO BE IRISH!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
The Villages Florida

What date was that posted in Sun Sentinel. We had looked for adv stating that there would be a parade. I was in the parade but couldnt find where it was mentioned anywhere in the paper. They didnt annouce it on the radio either.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Daily Sun, Saturday March 16,2013, Local Section, page 9.
Two color maps of the squares, times and days, column of explanation.
Perhaps a complete read of the Daily Sun is necessary.
The parade started at 3:30, they didnt mention parade in the paper only the Irish Festival which stared at 4:45. Parade committed was told parade must end by 4:30 by The Villages
Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:

I too, was very, disappointed, every time I heard mention of the activities scheduled at Spanish Springs in Celebration of St. Patrick's Day. Why did the radio station not mention the parade at 3:30 as one of the many activities for the day. It makes me feel like we are being controlled.
Don't get me wrong, I love and respect many of The Villages rules, but to not allow any mention of an event as large a the St Patricks Day Parade seems like Censorship. Imho
Old 03-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
Complete read indicates the festivities start at 4:45 PM on Monday at Spanish Springs. Unfortunately, the parade starts at 3:30 PM. Do you think it is a typo???
No, it's a viscious plot brought upon us by the evil developers. They make sure we all have been given the wrong time because we are obviously incapable of finding these things out ourselves..then, once they know we are all there late, they watch from their ivory tower, toasting with Dom Perignon and slapping each other with high fives because they have outwitted the dumb villagers. If things are so terrible and underhanded here, move. What do you want?? "Geez..I want everything in this entire city kept spotless, all of the roads maintained, all of the landscaping kept beautiful so I, along with my guests, can enjoy it...music that 'I' like in each square every night, golf courses maintained to perfection with tee times always available, because, after all, I PAY MY $145.00 A MONTH, DAMMIT AND I DESERVE IT". Give me a break! And no, I don't work for the developer either.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

This should clear up all the speculation and accusations that have been posted on this thread. Also Ms Tutt should be commended for her actions.
The POA April bulletin has an article regarding the lack of mention of the word "parade" in the Daily Sun or the radio. The article; The "Bump" in the "Parade" Road, quotes Janet Tutt, District Supervisor. She explains why this occurred and took responsibility for it happening. The John she speaks of is John Rohan, Recreation Director You can read the full text at: http://www.poa4us.org/bulletins_file...etin201304.pdf

This is the summary paragraph quoting Janet Tutt.

"I just want to make sure that the con-cerns (blame) for the lack of media cover-age is in the right place and it really is John and I. We both thought we were sav-ing money. Fortunately the parade was a success and we will know to have adver-tisements next year"
Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
This should clear up all the speculation and accusations that have been posted on this thread. Also Ms Tutt should be commended for her actions.
The POA April bulletin has an article regarding the lack of mention of the word "parade" in the Daily Sun or the radio. The article; The "Bump" in the "Parade" Road, quotes Janet Tutt, District Supervisor. She explains why this occurred and took responsibility for it happening. The John she speaks of is John Rohan, Recreation Director You can read the full text at: http://www.poa4us.org/bulletins_file...etin201304.pdf

This is the summary paragraph quoting Janet Tutt.

"I just want to make sure that the con-cerns (blame) for the lack of media cover-age is in the right place and it really is John and I. We both thought we were sav-ing money. Fortunately the parade was a success and we will know to have adver-tisements next year"
Good, informative article quoting Tutt and others taking responsibility for the lack of "parade" time announcements in the paper. But I'm sure some will find other ways to accuse and blame the developers for something against residents.

Last edited by Moderator; 04-03-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: edited out political comment
Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

It is a shame to see that The Daily Sun has sunk to the level of many magazines and special interest publications. The "hometown newspaper" ceases to be a civic/community reporter when its coverage of civic and community events, especially when sponsored as non-profit or non-selling events by community groups, is dependent on the amount of paid advertising prior to the event. Apparently the policy is "pay your money and you'll get the ink"
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thank you Janet Tutt.

I couldn't do your job for one minute.

The bottom line is that the St. Patrick's day parade was presented to a very large crowd...and will be the first of many and proved that the folks living here do not need to be helped in order to accomplish what they think is important.

No need to anguish....when things turn out just the way you hoped they would.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.