Dog versus Alligator

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Gold member
Unhappy Dog versus Alligator

I just saw a TV news report of a Villages man who wrestled an alligator that had grabbed his pet dog. I have some mixed thoughts about this, but am happy the puppy is OK. We now have a dead alligator who was only doing what was natural. I am dismayed that the man allowed his "best friend Bounce" to have free run near a body of water, not only at the time of the attack but was again without a leash at the time of the news report. The Villages covenants are clear about this; ALL DOGS must be on a leash when outside the home. This gentleman just doesn't seem to understand the requirements or simply chooses to ignore what is expected of him here in The Villages. It was totally his fault that he nearly lost his "best friend".
Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Gold member

There is already a large thread running on this. Called "Man saves dog from gator".
In reality, they're different!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Hmmmmm....agreed!! What's wrong with the folks who are supposed to enforce the leash laws. Bounce was clearly not on a leash.... why no citation??????
Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Gold member

Here comes the leash police!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Location: Originally from PA, lived in South Jersey & presently in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
I just saw a TV news report of a Villages man who wrestled an alligator that had grabbed his pet dog. I have some mixed thoughts about this, but am happy the puppy is OK. We now have a dead alligator who was only doing what was natural. I am dismayed that the man allowed his "best friend Bounce" to have free run near a body of water, not only at the time of the attack but was again without a leash at the time of the news report. The Villages covenants are clear about this; ALL DOGS must be on a leash when outside the home. This gentleman just doesn't seem to understand the requirements or simply chooses to ignore what is expected of him here in The Villages. It was totally his fault that he nearly lost his "best friend".
This is a no brainer - the dog was SAVED, this precious companion animal was saved from a horrible death. The owner put himself at risk of death, to rescue his beloved pet from the jaws of an ALLIGATOR! An Alligator is a "predator" of people, dogs, cats, birds etc is now dead.

My question is this. Why would anyone complain that the dog was not on a leash on his own property, unless they just want to make themselves look good on this list? Quoting leash laws is one way to make a statement. Personally, I think it is pathetic. Now, that's how I feel. You have your opinion and I have mine!

Betty
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Sage

The dog need to be under control in his own yard - on a leash off his property. Why are you people so crazy about this leash stuff???? Give the guy a break he saved his best friend.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It just seems to me that there are SOOOOO many more important things to worry about. Sorry if this offends anyone but this is just an interesting story but nothing to "get your panties in a wad about". BTW we have a Westie who rules our life but there is poverty, starvation, war, etc, etc. let's put our energy where we can make a difference.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Location: Originally from PA, lived in South Jersey & presently in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
The dog need to be under control in his own yard - on a leash off his property. Why are you people so crazy about this leash stuff???? Give the guy a break he saved his best friend.
Thank God! Another voice of REASON.

Betty
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Sage

Good grief. Regarding "We now have a dead alligator who was only doing what was natural.".........

If a dead nuisance alligator is to be so pitied, and more pitied than people or pets who could be dismembered and killed by it, then I guess the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission is all screwed up in its mission and work to conserve and protect wildlife while also protecting citizens in their communities and yards. FL Fish & Wildlife must be way off base for operating the Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program!

Maybe you ought to sue and file an alligator "civil rights" class-action case against Florida Fish & Wildlife for all the 5,856 "pitiful" alligators legally killed in just the year of 2010, because of their being a threat to the safety of citizens in their homes and communities!

"The Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program (SNAP) is administered by FWC's Division of Hunting and Game Management. SNAP is one of five components of Florida’s comprehensive Alligator Management Program. Its mission is to address complaints concerning alligators.

Persons with concerns about an alligator may call FWC’s toll-free Nuisance Alligator Hotline at 1-866-FWC-GATOR (866-392-4286). Generally, an alligator may be deemed a nuisance if it is at least four feet in length and the caller believes it poses a threat to people, pets or property.

SNAP uses contracted nuisance alligator trappers throughout the state to remove alligators from locations where they are unwanted or unwelcome. If a complaint meets the qualifying criteria, SNAP will issue a permit to a contracted nuisance alligator trapper authorizing the removal of the animal.
Complainants must be able to grant legal access to the property on which the alligator is located. SNAP does not permit the removal of nuisance alligators from private or publicly managed property without first obtaining permission from the property owner or management authority.

In 2010, SNAP received 13,047 nuisance alligator complaints resulting in the removal of 5,856 nuisance alligators."

Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program website:
Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program
Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

This whole argument is inane. The bottom line is, be a responsible pet owner. Do whatever needs to be done to keep your pet out of harm's way. Then NOBODY has to die.

You wouldn't let your dog run around loose on the street with cars going by. Why would you let him run around loose around a pond with alligators? Cars happen; alligators happen. Be proactive and protect your pet. Wildlife does not have to die because of your innocent pet running around loose.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
You wouldn't let your dog run around loose on the street with cars going by. Why would you let him run around loose around a pond with alligators?
I couldn't wrestle a car, but I think I could handle a small gator.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Good grief. Regarding "We now have a dead alligator who was only doing what was natural.".........

If a dead nuisance alligator is to be so pitied, and more pitied than people or pets who could be dismembered and killed by it, then I guess the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission is all screwed up in its mission and work to conserve and protect wildlife while also protecting citizens in their communities and yards. FL Fish & Wildlife must be way off base for operating the Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program!

Maybe you ought to sue and file an alligator "civil rights" class-action case against Florida Fish & Wildlife for all the 5,856 "pitiful" alligators legally killed in just the year of 2010, because of their being a threat to the safety of citizens in their homes and communities!

"The Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program (SNAP) is administered by FWC's Division of Hunting and Game Management. SNAP is one of five components of Florida’s comprehensive Alligator Management Program. Its mission is to address complaints concerning alligators.

Persons with concerns about an alligator may call FWC’s toll-free Nuisance Alligator Hotline at 1-866-FWC-GATOR (866-392-4286). Generally, an alligator may be deemed a nuisance if it is at least four feet in length and the caller believes it poses a threat to people, pets or property.

SNAP uses contracted nuisance alligator trappers throughout the state to remove alligators from locations where they are unwanted or unwelcome. If a complaint meets the qualifying criteria, SNAP will issue a permit to a contracted nuisance alligator trapper authorizing the removal of the animal.
Complainants must be able to grant legal access to the property on which the alligator is located. SNAP does not permit the removal of nuisance alligators from private or publicly managed property without first obtaining permission from the property owner or management authority.

In 2010, SNAP received 13,047 nuisance alligator complaints resulting in the removal of 5,856 nuisance alligators."

Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program website:
Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program
the alligator was not a nuisance until the dog was allowed to leave his property (no house properties extend to the shore). Having said that, I am happy that he was able to save his pet without injury.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
I couldn't wrestle a car, but I think I could handle a small gator.
there are a number of armless, footless, handless people who might disagree.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
the alligator was not a nuisance until the dog was allowed to leave his property (no house properties extend to the shore). Having said that, I am happy that he was able to save his pet without injury.
Oh. So with this reasoning, gators become nuisances only because residents and visitors leave their yard, and go to the edge of a retention pond, to sail their remote-control sailboats, throw in a fish line with their grandkids, or to see where their golf ball went (and also decide not to retrieve it because of gators or snakes).

So if a grandchild is playing in the yard with his grandpa and the child is not on a leash, it's the gator's right to go after the child and the gator is not a nuisance.

The value of human life is hitting new lows.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Gold member
Default Do wins, alligator loses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulence View Post
This is a no brainer - the dog was SAVED, this precious companion animal was saved from a horrible death. The owner put himself at risk of death, to rescue his beloved pet from the jaws of an ALLIGATOR! An Alligator is a "predator" of people, dogs, cats, birds etc is now dead.

My question is this. Why would anyone complain that the dog was not on a leash on his own property, unless they just want to make themselves look good on this list? Quoting leash laws is one way to make a statement. Personally, I think it is pathetic. Now, that's how I feel. You have your opinion and I have mine!

Betty
The dog was still not on a leash in the news report.. If the man had followed the rules, he would not had to save his best friend, a alligator would still be alive. Do you accept it as being OK to ignore the rules that you don't like ???
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.