Stay in your lane, please!

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
No, I am going to continue crossing the double yellow line a little when passing a golf cart. I don't like driving real close to the golf carts.
I agree. I use judgement for the safety of golf carts and bicycles. If the road is clear, I will often cross the double yellow line to provide more clearance in case the cart driver accidentially moves to the left. I consider this to be a responsible defensive driving maneuver.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Have you ever followed someone that will not pass a golf cart on the two lane roads in TV? (where there is a cart lane).

How about those who feel they have to swoop across lanes to make a turn?

I assume all vehicles in TV will cross the double yellow line when passing a golf cart. I assume all golf carts will encroach into the driving lane from the cart lane.
And I am right most of the time.

And I am not so sure it is limited to the aged drivers only!!
Old 09-16-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
It’s a bit alarming to be driving and see an oncoming car cross the double yellow coming at you. You don’t know if they’re drunk, having a medical event, or not paying attention. I understand the concern passing a cart because there are cart operators who seem to be so involved in their conversations they stop paying attention to the fact they are on a roadway.

To those cart drivers, I will not risk a head on collision with the car in the other lane because you can’t or don’t control your cart. I will stay in my lane. Here’s a tip. I’ve discovered when driving my cart that if it feels like the center of the diamond lane is passing right under my drivers seat, that my cart is actually centered in the lane. Well away from the line to my left and well away from the curb to my right. But most importantly, pay attention to the fact you’re sharing the road with much heavier vehicles that can do you great harm.
I agree with you, and I am fairly certain everyone would. The question as I saw it was what if there is no on coming traffic in the other lane, and a car moves across the double line to provide an additional safety margin between them and the golf cart they are passing.

On the one hand the rules are the rules (laws) and it is illegal to cross the double line. PERIOD. On the other hand, if there is clear visibility and no other conditions is it such a bad thing to provide a little additional margin of safety.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. I use judgement for the safety of golf carts and bicycles. If the road is clear, I will often cross the double yellow line to provide more clearance in case the cart driver accidentially moves to the left. I consider this to be a responsible defensive driving maneuver.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The double yellow lines in the roadways are there for a reason. They define the space you have to keep your vehicle in the road.

I have seen, time and time again, folks crossing over the double yellow lines to give themselves more clearance from a golf cart which is well within their space in the golf cart lane. The roadway I travel most often within The Villages which has the double yellow lines is Odell Circle.

It surely isn't "snowbirds" who are guilty of this at this time of year. It is the full time residents who seem to have a big problem keeping in their space in the roadway. Is it a problem with spacial orientation? Is it a problem with depth perception? What exactly is the reason a driver seems to feel they must try to avoid a golf cart which is perfectly in their golf cart lane by crossing over the double yellow lines?

Do you recognize yourself or do you do this and not even realize you are doing this? One of these days, a car will enter the roadway in the opposite direction from a side street and a head on collision will occur. There is no reason to cross over the double yellow lines. There is plenty of room for four vehicles in these roads........one car and one golf cart in one direction and one car and one golf cart in the opposite direction. All four vehicles can be along side each other in the road and there is plenty of room for all four vehicles. I would, however, yield to a large service vehicle such as a fire truck. In that case, maybe four vehicles would not fit all in one line across the road.

Bottom line......please refrain from crossing the double yellow lines when driving alongside a golf cart which is well withing the golf cart lane. You will fit......I promise.
Soon will be able to blame the snowbirds
Old 09-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
No, I am going to continue crossing the double yellow line a little when passing a golf cart. I don't like driving real close to the golf carts.
Plea falling on deaf ears. You are going to cause an accident some day.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Do you feel safe driving on the Turnpike at 70 MPH while staying in your lane? Just wondering.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Sorry to disagree with you but that is a very dangerous maneuver.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Have you ever followed someone that will not pass a golf cart on the two lane roads in TV? (where there is a cart lane).

How about those who feel they have to swoop across lanes to make a turn?

I assume all vehicles in TV will cross the double yellow line when passing a golf cart.
I assume all golf carts will encroach into the driving lane from the cart lane.
And I am right most of the time.

And I am not so sure it is limited to the aged drivers only!!
Those are the unsafe drivers. Safe drivers stay in their lane. Period.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I agree with you, and I am fairly certain everyone would. The question as I saw it was what if there is no on coming traffic in the other lane, and a car moves across the double line to provide an additional safety margin between them and the golf cart they are passing.

On the one hand the rules are the rules (laws) and it is illegal to cross the double line. PERIOD. On the other hand, if there is clear visibility and no other conditions is it such a bad thing to provide a little additional margin of safety.
I have two words for this statement......side streets. Yes, cars enter the roadway from side streets. This is when it becomes an issue for a head on collision.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:09 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

I have to cross the double lines to avoid the dog poop.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

rationalizing that it is OK to cross the double yellow line is akin to being OK to exceed the speed limit as long as there is not a cop around.

I wonder why it is not an option to SLOW down and stay in one's lane until clear of the obstacle? As has already been stated....there is plenty of room.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I have to cross the double lines to avoid the dog poop.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Gold member

Seems a number of TV cart drivers are not gifted spatially and they drive very close to the white line.
If I come upon that type, I slow down as I pass them, but I stay in my lane!
Also remind myself....what’s the rush!
Old 09-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
rationalizing that it is OK to cross the double yellow line is akin to being OK to exceed the speed limit as long as there is not a cop around.
Well, not exactly, in the one case it is doing something that is not necessarily dangerous, in the other it is being aware it is illegal and trying "get away with it" by not getting caught. Getting caught never entered into my suggestion, while being careful did.

Quote:
I wonder why it is not an option to SLOW down and stay in one's lane until clear of the obstacle? As has already been stated....there is plenty of room.
That is certainly an option when it is not possible to be safe.

ife is seldom a mater of black and white, nuance and shades of grey enter into almost everything.

I assume you never speed and always come to a complete stop any stop signs when 30 miles from the nearest town in the country where you can see forever in both directions and no one else has driven on this road in the past 10 years.

Tags
cart, golf, yellow, double, lines

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.