Stay in your lane, please!

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I agree with you about the infrastructure north of 466. That is why I do not ever drive our golf cart north of 466.

As an aside.....north of 466, were the golf cart paths widened or the street lanes widened? I'm confused by what you said. Either way.....I find it too dangerous driving a golf cart north of 466 and stay clear of that area in the golf cart. I did, however, drive the cart once to Spanish Springs just to say I did. I enjoyed going over the little bridge.
Spainish springs is not north of 466 it’s east or northeast. District 3 and 4 north of 466.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
A rare instance where I get to use my Harvard Medical School education. The reason I rarely use it might be because I didn’t finish.

Anyway, I can appreciate the OPs frustration. You know there is enough room to pass yet you pass wide. The problem might also be age related. As we age, our vision starts to experience problems. A person’s visual acuity can be normal (e.g. 20/20) but other visual factors can present, light sensitivity, glare, poor depth perception, poor side vision, and diminished color perception.

When you pass that GC you (OP) can see there is plenty of room. To a person with “aging eyes” the GC might appear closer than it really is. I say err on the side of safety. If you think you’re too close, pass wide. If it looks like crossing the double yellow will conflict with oncoming traffic, slow till you see a gap in oncoming traffic and pass. Do not pass a vehicle so close as to make you uncomfortable. The last thing we want is you looking down on a bleeding GC occupant saying, I thought I had enough room. As we say in the airlines, when in doubt, take a safety pause.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Spainish springs <sic> is not north of 466...
???
Old 09-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Spainish springs is not north of 466 it’s east or northeast. District 3 and 4 north of 466.
Spanish Springs is north of 466.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Spanish Springs Satellite.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	80996  
Old 09-17-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
A rare instance where I get to use my Harvard Medical School education. The reason I rarely use it might be because I didn’t finish.

Anyway, I can appreciate the OPs frustration. You know there is enough room to pass yet you pass wide. The problem might also be age related. As we age, our vision starts to experience problems. A person’s visual acuity can be normal (e.g. 20/20) but other visual factors can present, light sensitivity, glare, poor depth perception, poor side vision, and diminished color perception.

When you pass that GC you (OP) can see there is plenty of room. To a person with “aging eyes” the GC might appear closer than it really is. I say err on the side of safety. If you think you’re too close, pass wide. If it looks like crossing the double yellow will conflict with oncoming traffic, slow till you see a gap in oncoming traffic and pass. Do not pass a vehicle so close as to make you uncomfortable. The last thing we want is you looking down on a bleeding GC occupant saying, I thought I had enough room. As we say in the airlines, when in doubt, take a safety pause.
But, But, But...

Rules are Rules. No exceptions. If you are too old to stay in your lane, why did you move into a senior citizen community. You should haver known you were going to have to pass golf carts here...
Old 09-17-2019, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
...Rules are Rules. No exceptions...
Sorry, but there ARE exceptions.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Sorry, but there ARE exceptions.
Sorry, it was sarcasm
Old 09-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Platinum member
Default Just Wondering

Where are you supposed to drive to get around maintenance vehicles (yard maintenance, etc.) when your lane is substantially narrowed? That is an instance where crossing the double line becomes necessary......or you can just sit and wait for them to finish, I suppose.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 09-18-2019, 11:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,221 Times in 928 Posts

I will move over when passing a GC after checking for oncoming traffic as the distance between a vehicle and a GC on many of the streets in TV is quite narrow. If for whatever reason the driver of the GC happens to drift a bit to the left they can strike the passing vehicle and the GC will not fare well against a 3,500lb vehicle. That little bit of extra distance I give them could be enough to avert a possibly severe accident for the GC.
My biggest complaint is with the people who seem to always be in a hurry and excessively exceed the speed limit. We are for the most part all retired so why are there so many in such a rush? In TV there are too many slow moving vehicles like golf carts and bicycles on our streets.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
Stay in your lane? How about stay on the road please? I was just out riding my cart over on the new MMP where it also doubles as part of the Hogeye sink walking trail. Here comes a blue Toyota Camry coming from the Hogeye sink area and going around a golf cart only roundabout. Not the first time I've seen or heard about cars getting on the cart paths. There are a couple that I can see how that mistake could be made - that particular area is NOT one of them.
Is there really a golf cart only RAB? South of 44 there are these golf cart only RABs? Can someone take a photo and post it. I'd love to see what it looks like and how it functions. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Read my post again. Quoted above yours.
Got it....the car lanes were narrowed and the golf cart lanes were widened. I guess that was to minimize golf cart drivers slamming into the curb or driving partly in the vehicle lane. I still don't drive my golf cart north of 466. Scares the heck out of me.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Morse Blvd goes north and south. When I pass 466 heading north on Morse Blvd., anything in that area is north of 466 to me.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:59 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Morse Blvd goes north and south. When I pass 466 heading north on Morse Blvd., anything in that area is north of 466 to me.
And post #64 proves that point.
Steve
Old 09-19-2019, 06:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
And post #64 proves that point.
Steve
Yes, it does. Thanks, Steve.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default As i've posted before

Quote:
The double yellow lines in the roadways are there for a reason. They define the space you have to keep your vehicle in the road.

I have seen, time and time again, folks crossing over the double yellow lines to give themselves more clearance from a golf cart which is well within their space in the golf cart lane. The roadway I travel most often within The Villages which has the double yellow lines is Odell Circle.

It surely isn't "snowbirds" who are guilty of this at this time of year. It is the full time residents who seem to have a big problem keeping in their space in the roadway. Is it a problem with spacial orientation? Is it a problem with depth perception? What exactly is the reason a driver seems to feel they must try to avoid a golf cart which is perfectly in their golf cart lane by crossing over the double yellow lines?

Do you recognize yourself or do you do this and not even realize you are doing this? One of these days, a car will enter the roadway in the opposite direction from a side street and a head on collision will occur. There is no reason to cross over the double yellow lines. There is plenty of room for four vehicles in these roads........one car and one golf cart in one direction and one car and one golf cart in the opposite direction. All four vehicles can be along side each other in the road and there is plenty of room for all four vehicles. I would, however, yield to a large service vehicle such as a fire truck. In that case, maybe four vehicles would not fit all in one line across the road.

Bottom line......please refrain from crossing the double yellow lines when driving alongside a golf cart which is well withing the golf cart lane. You will fit......I promise.
My dad taught me to drive in 1968. His main advice was expect people to to the stupidest possible thing because that is exactly what they are going to do. Later it was more politically correct called DEFENSIVE DRIVING.

Almost every accident can be avoided thus they are not really an accident. One or both parties did not remember what my dad said and I've shared will all of you.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, yellow, double, lines

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.