Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Stay in your lane, please! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/stay-your-lane-please-298216/)

retiredguy123 09-16-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1681808)
Do you feel safe driving on the Turnpike at 70 MPH while staying in your lane? Just wondering.

I don't feel safe driving on the Turnpike at all. I try to avoid it, if I can. But, there are no golf carts or bicycles on the Turnpike.

Fredster 09-16-2019 11:59 AM

You move to TV which is a golf cart community,
but then you can’t drive your car around it pretending it’s not!
Cautionary common sense is in order!

VApeople 09-16-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1681805)
Plea falling on deaf ears.

Yeah, that usually happens when you make a plea for other people to behave in a manner that suits you.

bob47 09-16-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1681833)
I have to cross the double lines to avoid the dog poop.

I simply don't understand what a post like this adds to the conversation.

coffeebean 09-16-2019 12:18 PM

/// Oops. My quote came out wacky. I'll try that again.

retiredguy123 09-16-2019 12:19 PM

I don't own a golf cart because I wouldn't feel safe sharing the same roads with regular cars and SUVs. I also don't feel safe driving a car on the Turnpike and sharing the road with 18 wheelers, but I do it when I need to. I use extra caution to give golf carts more space than regular cars because I would feel very badly if I collided with a goft cart and someone was injured. Yes, I often slow down when passing a golf cart, but that also increases the time in which you are side by side with the cart, especially when the cart is exceeding 20 MPH. Each situation is a judgement call, and sometimes, I find it safer to provide a little more clearance for the cart. I also move way to the left when I pass someone walking a dog.

coffeebean 09-16-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob47 (Post 1681862)

Humor? I thought it was funny. LOL.

coffeebean 09-16-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1681835)
rationalizing that it is OK to cross the double yellow line is akin to being OK to exceed the speed limit as long as there is not a cop around.

I wonder why it is not an option to SLOW down and stay in one's lane until clear of the obstacle? As has already been stated....there is plenty of room.

I would not call a golf cart driving properly and safely in the golf cart lane an obstacle unless the driver drifts to the left of the lane and infringes into the street. That is a completely different scenario and requires the auto vehicle to slow down to avoid the "obstacle" encroaching in the vehicular lane.

The Villages infrastructure was built to accommodate a golf cart and cars or trucks driving in the same direction in their respective lanes. Trust the infrastructure.

coffeebean 09-16-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredster (Post 1681847)
Seems a number of TV cart drivers are not gifted spatially and they drive very close to the white line.
If I come upon that type, I slow down as I pass them, but I stay in my lane!
Also remind myself....what’s the rush!

Very nicely stated and I get it. I agree with you to slow down as you pass one of these not gifted spatially cart drivers, do not cross the double yellow lines.

Be safe out there!

Two Bills 09-16-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1681869)
I would not call a golf cart driving properly and safely in the golf cart lane an obstacle unless the driver drifts to the left of the lane and infringes into the street. That is a completely different scenario and requires the auto vehicle to slow down to avoid the "obstacle" encroaching in the vehicular lane.

The Villages infrastructure was built to accommodate a golf cart and cars or trucks driving in the same direction in their respective lanes. Trust the infrastructure.

....but never the driver!!:ohdear:

coffeebean 09-16-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1681849)
I don't feel safe driving on the Turnpike at all. I try to avoid it, if I can. But, there are no golf carts or bicycles on the Turnpike.

No there aren't......just speeding vehicles.

coffeebean 09-16-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1681859)
Yeah, that usually happens when you make a plea for other people to behave in a manner that suits you.

Well, if that is the way you see it. {{{shrugs}}}

coffeebean 09-16-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1681873)
....but never the driver!!:ohdear:

Totally agree with this statement.

Martian 09-16-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

It's called humor which conversations today could use a lot more of.

dewilson58 09-16-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Ditto.