Fab gone?
Old 08-12-2022, 11:43 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Conspiracy theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Not to mention the national media hates us and likes to spread negativity about this place
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but are there any facts or data to show that the national media hates TV or is this just another conspiracy theory? Thanks Jim
Old 08-12-2022, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but are there any facts or data to show that the national media hates TV or is this just another conspiracy theory? Thanks Jim
National news articles that are almost all very negative of the Villages. Have seen or heard of quite a few since we have lived here.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:52 AM

looking for a house, no real estate, great deal, no rush to close. let me knw
Old 08-12-2022, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Let’s see:
TV is 98.5% white, has much more than the national average income and assets, and is overwhelmingly Republicans———of course the national media hates us
Old 08-12-2022, 12:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

True or false, news media, years of ongoing rumors, slice it as you will, but it's getting old
with no way to stop all this bs.

Sad, if you travel up north, and stop the first person you see, they will admit
they heard this rumor more than once.

Before we moved here, my neighbor's doctor from up north told her about all
the he'en and she'en that goes on in TV.

Or is it he'en and he'en or she'en and she'en
Old 08-12-2022, 12:34 PM

The Villages is not in the top 20 for STDs per capita, one link among many potential links below. This has been true for the last 5 years that I have been following this important topic. Disappointing, really, I thought we were better than this.

US Cities With the Highest Rates of STIs: Baltimore, New York, Philly
Old 08-12-2022, 12:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post
The Villages is not in the top 20 for STDs per capita, one link among many potential links below. This has been true for the last 5 years that I have been following this important topic. Disappointing, really, I thought we were better than this.

US Cities With the Highest Rates of STIs: Baltimore, New York, Philly
Darn, I bought in The Villages because I thought I would find a bunch of loose and wild women. Oh well.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Darn, I bought in The Villages because I thought I would find a bunch of loose and wild women. Oh well.
Well you actually can if you frequent the right establishments. But, 20 yrs ago Kitty's was the place for wild women and lots of lonely men.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
We are, but it stands for "Senseless Thread Disorder".
There are a lot of those. And I do have that disease!!!

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-12-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Unfortunately, it’s a false reputation that just won’t go away. Whenever we tell people we have a place in the Villages that is typically the first thing that comes out of their mouths. We have grown very tired of it. The national media doesn’t do Villagers any favors.
I am so sick of hearing I live in the STD, AND orgy capital. There is a book about TV that I read prior to buying here. The book does have a page or two on the orgy underground and TV being high in STDs. But this place has grown from small town to small city. The full spectrum of society can be found here. But it is NOT the STD capital.

I’m so sick of hearing it that I no longer say I live in TV. I tell people I live just south of Ocala. If they are familiar with FL and insist on a city, I will say The Villages.

Just a month ago I was at my aunt’s birthday party in NYC, about 70 in attendance. I heard about the STD thing in TV several times and even saw people smile/smirk when they hear I bought in The Villages.

I don’t know if this will ever go away, especially with people writing books repeating the misinformation.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I am so sick of hearing I live in the STD, AND orgy capital. There is a book about TV that I read prior to buying here. The book does have a page or two on the orgy underground and TV being high in STDs. But this place has grown from small town to small city. The full spectrum of society can be found here. But it is NOT the STD capital.

I’m so sick of hearing it that I no longer say I live in TV. I tell people I live just south of Ocala. If they are familiar with FL and insist on a city, I will say The Villages.

Just a month ago I was at my aunt’s birthday party in NYC, about 70 in attendance. I heard about the STD thing in TV several times and even saw people smile/smirk when they hear I bought in The Villages.

I don’t know if this will ever go away, especially with people writing books repeating the misinformation.
How come the Sun does not list where the orgies are>? Asking for a friend.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:05 PM
Platinum member

I had a “friend” who made a similar comment on a Facebook posting. (I have also heard that Scooter the DJ uses this line in his “banter”.) Like all the others, I am tired of hearing this crap. Below is a portion of my reply to the Facebook post. The data is 2020 data. I don’t think much has changed.

The other comment you made in in the post was “What a hotbed of criminality – not to say the STD capital of the World”. I am sure you threw this statement this in because you are just being your sarcastic self. When I challenged you that the STD comment as being an urban legend, you replied “The Villages has its own STD clinic. (It doesn’t. There is a clinic in Wildwood.) Check the State Dept. of Health website for the statistics.” I did. The findings are interesting.
Before I get into the results from the website, I want to give a bit of background on The Villages for the uninitiated. The Villages is an age restricted unincorporated community. The current population is approaching 150,000. It is not a town; it is not a city. It is a community that spans portions of Lake County, Marion County and Sumter County. The bulk of The Villages (~90%) is in Sumter County. Parts of The Villages reside in the towns of Lady Lake, Fruitland Park (both Lake County) and Wildwood (Sumter County). All this really means is those residents also pay city property taxes as well as county property taxes. Surrounding The Villages are the communities mentioned above plus other small communities. The residents of the surrounding communities come to The Villages for their medical needs, shopping, groceries, dining, entertainment, etc. The Village is just not a bunch of retirees, but a large community of all types of folks. A person not familiar with The Villages would not know when they entered or left the community. Again, if you want to discuss The Villages and how it works, I’m all in.
The Florida Department of Health website (FLHealthCHARTS.gov: Site Search) does not list results by cities, but rather by county. The bulk of The Villages is Sumter County, so this is the data I looked up. I am also listing your home county of Brevard for comparison. To support my comment that STDs in The Villages is an “urban legend” here are some findings. The results are for the year 2020, the most current data available.
Total Syphilis per 100,000 population:
Brevard – 36.4 Sumter – 15 5th lowest in the state
Gonorrhea per 100,000 population:
Brevard – 139.4 Sumter – 48 2nd lowest in the state
Chlamydia per 100,000 population:
Brevard – 336.3 Sumter – 133.5 lowest in the state
I think this should put to rest the “STD capitol of the World” thinking.

Last edited by Mleeja; 08-12-2022 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:18 PM

This rumor has existed for more than 10 years now. Simply NOT true! Never saw any official statistic that backed this up! PERIOD!
Old 08-12-2022, 03:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,176 Times in 757 Posts

Really , this rumor has been around for years, just outsiders being jealous I guess...To get STD's you have to have sex, and I don't see much of that in the 70-80 group.
Closed Thread

Tags
std, capital

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.