Steel studs

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

In my opinion, steel studs and wood studs both provide equilvalent construction quality. They are probably using wood studs in The Lofts because it is a multi-story building and some of the interior walls will be loadbearing. Steel studs are more appropriate for single level buildings, like almost every house in The Villages.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRussell View Post
Termites

Don't kid yourself!

You will get termites in block and stucco houses, as well, and in poured concrete, too.

No house in Florida is immune from termites and at some point, practically all houses will eventually have them.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, steel studs and wood studs both provide equilvalent construction quality. They are probably using wood studs in The Lofts because it is a multi-story building and some of the interior walls will be loadbearing. Steel studs are more appropriate for single level buildings, like almost every house in The Villages.

No, they definitely do not provide "equivalent" construction quality.
While they may meet code, builders who use them today use them because they are cheaper and can be installed faster and more easily than wood.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:01 PM
Sage

I guess we just have to disagree. Most people don't even know what kind of studs they have in their house. So, as long as the house is structurally sound, I would say the quality is equivalent.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 08-08-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
I guess we just have to disagree. Most people don't even know what kind of studs they have in their house. So, as long as the house is structural sound, I would say the quality is equivalent.
True. Steel studs are often used for walls supporting high ceilings because they create a much flatter surface than wood studs which tend to create waves in such walls. Most of the expensive homes I saw being constructed in Palm Desert and Las Vegas used steel exclusively.

In our Villages home, we have wood studs in the 8’ walls and steel studs where we have vaulted ceilings.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Sage

A lot of people who moved from the North are not used to steel studs because they lived in a two story house. Typically, two story houses are constructed using wood studs because they are better and more economical for loadbearing walls to support the upper level. And, yes, if you have a high wall in your house with wood studs, you will usually see uneven and wavy areas on the drywall. If they used nails to attach the drywall, you will eventually start seeing "nail pops" all over the house.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If was building a house from the get go,

Also ask for doors to outside that open out not in to conform with Dade County hurricane codes.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I guess we just have to disagree. Most people don't even know what kind of studs they have in their house. So, as long as the house is structurally sound, I would say the quality is equivalent.

Yes, we will have to disagree, but that's okay. It's also okay to not know what kind of studs you have in your home until you have a problem such as:

. . . until such time as you think what you've just hung on the wall is sound, supposedly using the correct screws, hangers, or whatever, and then, the item comes out of the wall bringing some drywall and bent metal stud with it.

oh, well!
Old 08-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Sage

Nonsense. Wood studs are used for load bearing walls and metal studs are fine for non load bearing walls. My walls are perfectly straight and nothing is falling off of them. Stop trying to create an issue where none exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
No, they definitely do not provide "equivalent" construction quality.
While they may meet code, builders who use them today use them because they are cheaper and can be installed faster and more easily than wood.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Sage

The less wood the better. They don't eat concrete.

Quote:
Don't kid yourself!

You will get termites in block and stucco houses, as well, and in poured concrete, too.

No house in Florida is immune from termites and at some point, practically all houses will eventually have them.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Just an FYI:

Out here in Oregon, they are building new 5 story apartment buildings and condos that are all wood stud construction. I was quite surprised, expecting steel or concrete for strength.

For our Villages home search, we are limiting our search to stucco/concrete following recommendations of family members who live there, and experiences with vinyl siding elsewhere.

My 40 year old home in Oregon has cedar siding. There have been few issues, as long as exterior paint is done well. We don't seem to have termite problems here.

As for steel studs, the Class A office tilt up buildings and warehouses here use steel studs for the build-out within the buildings. Almost all home construction here is wood studs inside and out.

I'm interested in any issues with Villages homes constructed 10-15 years ago, and what to look out for when considering a purchase. I'm looking at homes between 466 and 466A.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 08-09-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The less wood the better. They don't eat concrete.

You are no better off in a block/concrete house than any other type of built house.

The termites will find their way in through cracks in the foundation and exterior walls as well as those tiny cracks around windows and doors. And don't kid yourself; all houses have them!

And if they don't find a good meal in the walls, then moldings, trim and even your furniture will work just fine for them.

Your comment suggests you are better off in a concrete-type house. Not so! It just doesn't matter.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:00 AM
Sage

Wrong. The less wood, the less possible sites for an infestation. This is not a statement about reduced probabilities. It is a statement about reduced opportunities.

Quote:
You are no better off in a block/concrete house than any other type of built house.

The termites will find their way in through cracks in the foundation and exterior walls as well as those tiny cracks around windows and doors. And don't kid yourself; all houses have them!

And if they don't find a good meal in the walls, then moldings, trim and even your furniture will work just fine for them.

Your comment suggests you are better off in a concrete-type house. Not so! It just doesn't matter.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage

Sigh ... Go back and reread your own post. You used the term "quality". The only real quality issues are strength and trueness. Whatever - two years olds and know-it-alls ...

Quote:
If you are going to quote me, correct me, and say I am trying to "create an issue," please do it properly.

Comment on what I've actually said and not some bogus words which you made up.

I said nothing about loading or non-loading walls, I said nothing about walls being straight and furthermore, it would appear that you are the one creating an issue judging by your erroneous comment.

Last edited by biker1; 08-09-2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: quality
Old 08-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Do you have a termite killer service?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.