Steel studs

Steel studs

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Steel studs
Old 08-05-2019, 08:12 AM

Default Steel studs

I found out the other day when I was hanging something on a wall that my relatively new home has steel studs. I see houses being built here with wood studs. Curious as to the reason why different materials are used in different homes.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage

Lots of houses have wood on exterior walls, while they have steel in interior walls--steel has greater dimensionable stability compared to wood
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2019, 11:29 AM

Wood exterior studs are load bearing for the trusses usually used here, and better insulation wise. Steel interior is cheaper, and not usually load bearing, and less time consuming to run electric and plumbing as they have knockouts and holes pre drilled. Steel is also faster to install.
Steve
Old 08-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
I found out the other day when I was hanging something on a wall that my relatively new home has steel studs. I see houses being built here with wood studs. Curious as to the reason why different materials are used in different homes.
When we moved in here just over 2 years ago I discovered that when trying to wall mount our TV. Having never heard of that before since all of our previous life was in a much older area it threw me for a loop. I was afraid if I use too big a drill the beam would collapse. Where we lived the only insulation in the walls was a sheet of aluminum foil which was all totally disintegrated. "New" homes there were circa 1950. "Modernization" took us some time to get used to.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage

You can also contact the Sumter County Building department and get a copy of your house plans that will tell you where the metal studs are used.

As for mounting items to metal studs, there are special screw assemblies just for metal studs, DO NOT USE the plastic expanding plugs, as these will be cutoff when you insert the screw and you will have a lot less holding power than you expect (I know this for a fact, I had it happen to me....).
Old 08-05-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You can also contact the Sumter County Building department and get a copy of your house plans that will tell you where the metal studs are used.

As for mounting items to metal studs, there are special screw assemblies just for metal studs, DO NOT USE the plastic expanding plugs, as these will be cutoff when you insert the screw and you will have a lot less holding power than you expect (I know this for a fact, I had it happen to me....).
Agreed

And as far as hollow wall anchors, I love these

Access Denied

Steve
Old 08-05-2019, 12:18 PM

When we had our house built years ago we did not want the metal studs because we wanted more stability in the walls.
We paid a lot more for this feature.
It all has to do with the good almighty dollar. Metal studs are far less expensive than wood.
If you look at some of the changes which have been made over the years you will find a number of things which are a lot less money today than what the developer originally provided.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Sage

If was building a house from the get go, the only things i would really demand is real brass valves for plumbing shut-offs--the push pulls used are normally used in manufactured houses--really cheap junk and 2x 6 exterior studs , so I could have had some real insulation, also a fire rated door to the garage & a fire barrier in the attic over the garage between the garage and the rest of the house
Old 08-05-2019, 01:16 PM
Platinum member

My previous home, a custom build, was constructed with ICF - excellent strength and insulation. If building a custom home again I would go with ICF again, never wood studs regardless if they were 2x4 or 2x6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If was building a house from the get go, the only things i would really demand is real brass valves for plumbing shut-offs--the push pulls used are normally used in manufactured houses--really cheap junk and 2x 6 exterior studs , so I could have had some real insulation, also a fire rated door to the garage & a fire barrier in the attic over the garage between the garage and the rest of the house
Old 08-05-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
My previous home, a custom build, was constructed with ICF - excellent strength and insulation. If building a custom home again I would go with ICF again, never wood studs regardless if they were 2x4 or 2x6.
Ok for those who might not know what is ICF?