Steel studs

Steel studs

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-05-2019, 04:18 PM

In some cities building codes for commercial buildings require metal studs for fire proofing reasons. Steel doesn't burn.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers2tall View Post
Ok for those who might not know what is ICF?
ICF stands for insulating concrete form. It is a composite wall with concrete sandwiched between insulation panels. Yes, it produces a high quality house, but it has never really caught on in a large scale. The construction industry is very gun shy when it comes to using new and innovative techniques. I think they are afraid of lawsuits if something fails, and the house buyers are not willing to pay extra for something they can't see. They mostly buy a house based on cosmetic features.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2019, 11:31 PM

Not really sure what the interior studs are as we only hung lighter things using anchors and screws through the drywall. TV,s sit on stands or media centers.

We do have a brick house so hanging somethings required drilling through the concrete block and putting anchors in.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:27 AM
Platinum member

ICF stands for Insulated Concrete Forms. They are sort of Lego-ish building bricks made of polystrene - typically about 3 inches thick on each side and held together with plastic ribbing inside. They are stacked on top of each other to form the wall structure. Rebar is then placed inside and the cavity is filled with concrete. The cavity is typically 4 or 6 inches wide. Window and door openings are cut out and blocked before the concrete pour. Drywall is typically attached on the inside and pretty much any exterior finish can be applied. The insulation comes from the polystyrene, which stays in place. They are not particularly popular but if you have a builder who is experienced with using them then they are an excellent way to go. The closest thing in the Villages are poured concrete walls where removable metals forms are used. These, of course, lack the insulation of the polystyrene that remains with ICF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers2tall View Post
Ok for those who might not know what is ICF?

Last edited by biker1; 08-06-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:03 AM
Sage

To prove the lack of insulation in TV built homes -it takes almost no time fora home here to heat/ cool down once the a/c or heat is off-its great that electricity is relatively inexpensive
Old 08-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
To prove the lack of insulation in TV built homes -it takes almost no time fora home here to heat/ cool down once the a/c or heat is off-its great that electricity is relatively inexpensive
We were just saying the opposite. We have a block and stucco and feel the barrier against heat is VERY good and it takes a long time for a home to heat up. However, because the homes here are built to be comfortable in nearly year around heat outdoors and the registers being in the ceiling, when it's cold, that is not as efficient as heat rises.

Here are some articles on Wood vs. metal studs in home building.

Wood vs metal studs in home building - Bing
Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post

As watched my being built day by day I asked if it would be possible to insulate the block walls .i would gladly pay the additional charge.Payback would be lifelong for small additional fee.
Considering the overall cost of construction
Answer was no. Also I believe duct work is inadequately insulated and transfers heat and cold from attic to the interior.
In an era of going green hard to believe building codes in the Villages are substandard
Old 08-06-2019, 07:50 AM

A lot of the changes in FL construction came following Hurricane Andrew. There were new hurricane codes developed.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post

As watched my being built day by day I asked if it would be possible to insulate the block walls .i would gladly pay the additional charge.Payback would be lifelong for small additional fee.
Answer was no. Also I believe duct work is inadequately insulated and transfers heat and cold from attic to the interior.
In an era of going green hard to believe building codes in the Villages are substandard
Having worked for a company who manufactured insulation (fiberglass) and sold the product for many years I can tell you that simply adding additional blown insulation to your attic up to R48 or more will do more good than anything else you can do. Call Suncoast Insulation in Ocala for a great application and price.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post

There is a company that advertises in the daily sun regarding additional insulation on block walls. No idea of the cost or effectiveness, I have not used them. As for the A/C ducts, I will go into the attic the next time I think of it and place my hand on the duct to see if they are cool to the touch.
Regarding the building codes, these are typically state wide, and based on national standards, as far as I know, the villages does not have their own set of building codes. Perhaps one of the inspection companies can comment on this.