Neighbourhood not so friendly

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Default Neighbourhood not so friendly

Anyone moved to The Villages and don't like some of the people around you in the Neighbourhood you live in. I had family and friends down for July 4 weekend, the neighbour across the street seem to get very upset. There was 2 cars parked on the street just for a short time to unload the car and truck. Everyone was gone most of the day and at the Square at night. We have only moved in for 3 months now the person across the street wont speak and just stand there and looks at you. On 4th of July my friends were in a golf cart and the same person across the street was in the car as we passed he turn around and drove by us and then turn around and came back just looking at us. We have never been in a Neighbourhood that no one talk to anyone only a few people. The ones that do talk said they have never lived in a place where the neighbours don't talk much. We are ready to find a new place to go......
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Sage

Hi Sharon,
Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. Is it possible that your neighbor thinks that you are the one who never speaks? Sometimes, both people wait for the other to make the first move.

Next time you see him, why not go over and introduce yourself? Maybe he's shy. Maybe he imagines you are a renter and won't be there long. If you haven't spoken with him, there are a thousand maybes. Try to get to know him before you write him-- and your whole neighborhood-- off. What could it hurt?

Welcome to you. And all best wishes.

Pturner
Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Sage

Hi Sharon - welcome to TOTV!

Sorry your neighbor doesn't seem overly pleasant. Have you tried going across the street, introducing yourself to the neighbor, and striking up a conversation with them? Maybe even take them over a plate of cookies or a pie or something.

Just a thought........

Again, welcome to TOTV!!

Bill
Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 PM

We have said hello to him about four time, he doesnt seem to want to speak, a few other neighbors said the same thing. We have rented for a year in the The Villages and we had great neighbor everywhere on the street, up the street and down the street.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Platinum member

I find 99% of the people in the Villages very friendly. Of course you come across one clown every once in a while but as the others before me answering this post, maybe try breaking the ice and saying hello. Perhaps attend the Crispers gathering on Friday. You will meet other Village people and see for yourself how friendly everyone can be.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

I conclude from your posts that there is only one neighbor who seems to give you the cold shoulder. Continue to try to engage with him. If this doesn't work just pass him by and get to know your other neighbors. Look into your villages social club, go to their events. You will find there are a lot of friendly people in your neighborhood and in the greater Village.
There are some like him everywhere so don't feel alone.
Welcome to The Villages, we are glad to have you.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
........Of course you come across one clown every once in a while .......
Thanks for the plug, Tom!!

Bill
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Gold member

hmmm..let's see...84,000 people in the Villages...1 won't speak...really not seeing a problem there! As everyone has said, I would try to engage him in conversation, possibly starting with "it seems that I have offended you somehow"...if he doesn't respond it's his loss, he's probably a very unhappy person. I would definitely not consider moving, there are too many other really great people.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Gold member

He could be a person that has an illness. We never know why people behave the way they do.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Bosoxfan

Some folks are grouches before they move here!You would think that living in a place like this would cure that but apparently it doesn't with some.Hopefully all the wonderful experiences you'll have here will far outweigh senor grumpy! Welcome & Enjoy!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default sometimes they might have a hearing problem

that happens a lot in a retirement village.....Sounds like they are missing a great opportunity to meet great people....When that happens to me, I make it my mission to make them smile....A plate of cookies was a great idea!....By the way, welcome to the Villages
Old 07-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Veteran member

What neighborhood, what village? We'll all come over and have a block party and make him smile!

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 07-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
hmmm..let's see...84,000 people in the Villages...1 won't speak...really not seeing a problem there! As everyone has said, I would try to engage him in conversation, possibly starting with "it seems that I have offended you somehow"...if he doesn't respond it's his loss, he's probably a very unhappy person. I would definitely not consider moving, there are too many other really great people.
Or like some folks that I know well, he didn't put his "hearers" in this morning after his shower. AND some people are PAINFULLY shy. Most people become more comfortable in the light of smiling faces and cheerful conversation.

I didn't wait to see if my neighbors came to me when we moved into Hadley three years ago, I went around a couple days after we moved into new house and introduced myself and invited them to coffee. I asked them to bring their own cup since we hadn't outfitted ourselves for company yet. Went to Publix and bought several of their lovely sweet rolls and some paper plates and forks...and enjoyed meeting all these nice people who soon became our friends and hopefully will continue to be our friends in our new home being built right now.

I hope that you find the secret to unlocking Mr. and Mrs. "Staring's" smiles. I think the BEST thing about TV is the people who have traveled down life's highway for at least five decades and have so many adventures to share.

I welcome YOU and hope that you find happiness, and peace, and health here in Lower Paradise for a thousand years.

Hugs,
Gracie
Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

By your description of the individual it sounds more to me of some sort of dementia. I have heard of a similar issue and that is what it was. For some, a mean streak comes from the health issue. Unfortunately, in a retirement community, issues of the elderly can be seen more close up.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Ignore Him

I would seriously suggest you ignore him and go about your life. He either has a health problem, is just unhappy with life, has family problems, etc. None of these are yours to accept any form of ownership. As long as he does not harass you in direct terms, (at which time I would call the Sheriff) I would just go about your business. He is looking for attention and I would not give it to him. We are so fortunate to have terrific neighbors. I guess I will appreciate them more after reading your note.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.