Stinky Perfume

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2019, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Yes, this thread stinks, but it’s important. I would like to suggest a higher degree of ventilation in places indoors like movies and rec centers where you have classes. Some older people will smell, voluntarily or otherwise, and it would be great if they were also welcome without driving others away. Ventilation, ventilation, please.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Does this mean the Vat of Hai Karate - vintage TV commercial - YouTube Hai Karate that a Vendor at Marion Market paid me to take away isn't pleasing? I can't win.

I'm glad to see you posting again Chatbrat!
Old 05-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

I am often reminding my mother she is wearing too much perfume. She swears it’s very subtle, “only two sprays.” I have to open all the windows in the car. She was not this way years ago. I believe the problem is age related. At 80 her ORs (olfactory receptors) are also 80 and may not be as sharp as they were when they were 20.

Unless it’s immediate family, if an old person is wearing excessive perfume, we shouldn’t say anything. Not sure it’s necessary to embarrass them.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Does this mean the Vat of Hai Karate - vintage TV commercial - YouTube Hai Karate that a Vendor at Marion Market paid me to take away isn't pleasing? I can't win.

I always think of you as a "BRUT" guy.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
People may not want to offend, but knowing how cheap some people are--they skimp on water, they refuse to thrown out ,out of date items--the problem is not the reason, the problem is the aroma-- its a shame awful thing happen to old people, especially those with dimentia related illness
I don't know anyone who is so cheap that they "skimp on water" but sadly we all know victims of dementia and of Alzheimer's and tomorrow it could be us. I would hate to hear of someone saying uncaring things about ANYONE should that happen. None of us is exempt. NONE of us.

Perfume is another matter, not quite so unkind to discuss. It seems a little out there to discuss unhappy things that happen to seniors on this forum as if they could help themselves from offending people with their brain damage.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Sage

I think, for once, the OP has some valid points. I only say for once because I'm tired of all the bashing some threads have. Back to point....I was in church recently and a very nice lady had on perfume so heavy I could actually taste it. GAH!!! Scents are nice---I used to use them BUT there comes a time I would say to use them sparingly. Many folks have allergies, as do I, OR they might have asthma. Fragrances can trigger a response that can be quite serious. SOOO this is a serious topic to address for sure. Since this was about a woman---the same can be said about men who put too much after shave on or cologne.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:13 PM
Platinum member

And what about when you are in a restaurant preparing to enjoy a meal and someone sits down with perfume so strong even the Baccala is offended? LOL
Old 05-24-2019, 02:14 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post

Nucky, I think you should upgrade to Axe, you can get it at Walmart.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

I am not sure what the solution is? Ban all perfumes, soaps included, all after shave lotions, my husbands is sooo sexy....
Sometimes the problem might be that people cannot smell the scent or they get used to it and don’t notice it any more. To me the latrine smells are far more offensive, do we ban people with diapers too? What about natural body smells, in some groups, there is a genetic natural body odor that infects everything they touch. Sometimes it takes months to get their odor out of furniture, even though personally they are very clean and hygienic.
That is why I would like to see really good ventilation in public buildings.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am not sure what the solution is? Ban all perfumes, soaps included, all after shave lotions, my husbands is sooo sexy....
Sometimes the problem might be that people cannot smell the scent or they get used to it and don’t notice it any more. To me the latrine smells are far more offensive, do we ban people with diapers too? What about natural body smells, in some groups, there is a genetic natural body odor that infects everything they touch. Sometimes it takes months to get their odor out of furniture, even though personally they are very clean and hygienic.
That is why I would like to see really good ventilation in public buildings.
I will chip in for a portable fan.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:31 PM
Sage

An offensive odor not brought up and under our control is bad breath. There are many who can't smell their own garlic or halitosis. Many who do not know how to clean their teeth and gums properly, or should just leave strong smelly food for when they are spending the evening alone.

Then the guys who drink beer and have awful flatulence. Boy, the human race is really stinky.

Also those whose mouths smell like an ash tray. And those who don't keep their homes clean and everything smells like old underwear. And some who don't keep their cars nice and clean inside either. And those who smell like their pet elephant who doesn't wash between his legs.

And of course we all know when Lulu is back in town.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-24-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Does this mean I have to throw out my stash of Jean Naté?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
An offensive odor not brought up and under our control is bad breath. There are many who can't smell their own garlic or halitosis. Many who do not know how to clean their teeth and gums properly, or should just leave strong smelly food for when they are spending the evening alone.

Then the guys who drink beer and have awful flatulence. Boy, the human race is really stinky.

. . .
A sigh is just a gust of wind that rises from the heart.
But when it takes a downward course, it changes to a f___t.

OOh my -- forgive me
Old 05-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

The Cat in the Hat on Aging: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e3/c7...d463ec341e.jpg

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-24-2019, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Whats wrong with black socks and wing tips, especially @ pool side--great way to pick up women--what a look
I wore black socks for two days in a row this week. But that was to hide the bloodstains. I danced so hard (barefoot, doh) in the Square I developed blood blisters that burst almost immediately. I was, quite literally, a bloody mess.

Back to wearing white socks now, but walking around in open-toed shoes will have to wait another few days. I can go in the pool, finally, but only as long as I bandage up again when I get ready to go back to the house.

On-topic: wearing too much of any scent is overwhelming to most people, but some folks are more sensitive than others, and some are especially sensitive to certain fragrances or natural essential oils. I have an old miniature bottle of Shalimar that belonged to my mom. She kept it on her dresser and I remember seeing it back in the 1960's. It could be even older than that but I was born in '61 so I wouldn't remember any further back The alcohol has completely evaporated, leaving just a brown smudge of perfume base at the bottom of the bottle. When I open it, it smells exactly as it did when it was full, over 50 years ago. I open it once in awhile when I'm feeling nostalgic. The smell brings back good memories.
Closed Thread

Tags
perfume, area--dont, leave, grand, makeup--reminded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.