Stinky Perfume

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Does this mean the Vat of Hai Karate - vintage TV commercial - YouTube Hai Karate that a Vendor at Marion Market paid me to take away isn't pleasing? I can't win.

I'm glad to see you posting again Chatbrat!
Is that what that is? There's some cologne that some men seem to bathe in; they must think that they have to catch women by knocking them out with the smell.....
Old 05-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Is that what that is? There's some cologne that some men seem to bathe in; they must think that they have to catch women by knocking them out with the smell.....
Hey! I've met some women who marinate in perfume like they were a cheap piece of meat..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Isn’t it amazing what some people will do for the other gender? I love it when hubby showers, shaves and puts on after shave... just before we retire for the night.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

How about the people who suffer from Xackerlies Disease, you know, when one end smells exactly like the other. What a Brut. I saw a bottle for sale at an Estate Sale and I got the look from the wifey. Yes Dear, No Brut Dear, Yes Dear! It was gonna be a joke gift!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

I think that is a big part of the problem...and not everyone understands that's what happens.

That 'special' bottle of perfume you received as a gift 10 years ago, is not wine...and has not become better with age.

There is a particular female fragrance (I don't know what it is and can't really describe it, but I can tell immediately when it's near)...that involuntarily makes me squinch my nose.

While I don't know what it is, I do know...that it seems to be fairly popular around here.
That's not necessarily true by the way. Carrier oils become rancid and smell horrible after awhile. Essential oils will either get stronger (the same smell, just more dense), or weaker. Patchouli, rose, and jasmine all get stronger with age, and are considered better - like a fine aged wine. Citrus oils all become less effective and weaker with age, flatter and with less dimension.

Synthetics are a whole nother story. Some will smell worse with age, some better, and some (like my mom's Shalimar) won't really change much, if it all.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:01 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

As for the various odors of the elderly and the incontinent, it just Depends...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

There are men who are just as bad or worse. They must have bought English Leather by the gallon 40 years ago and still have some left. They put on so much that when they touch the door handle in Starbucks in the morning it transfers to everyone else.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:23 PM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Ms Midnight, you are a mischief! No misogyny gets by you. Or bad perfume either....

Yeah . . . And don'tcha just love it!!!

Hey -- you're right up there, too, and so is Jazuela!
Keep up the good work because you two both rock!

P. S. I won't say what my two favorite perfume brands are because then everyone would know who I was.
I will tell you, however, that neither of them is Jean Nate, L'Aimant or their inexpensive equivalent!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
That's not necessarily true by the way. Carrier oils become rancid and smell horrible after awhile. Essential oils will either get stronger (the same smell, just more dense), or weaker. Patchouli, rose, and jasmine all get stronger with age, and are considered better - like a fine aged wine. Citrus oils all become less effective and weaker with age, flatter and with less dimension.

Synthetics are a whole nother story. Some will smell worse with age, some better, and some (like my mom's Shalimar) won't really change much, if it all.
OK then, consider me now edumacated...on the different types of perfumes.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
The next time you smell that "aroma," you need to ask that person what is the name of the perfume they are wearing.

That way, depending upon who your friends are or aren't, they can make a decision whether to wear it or not. It will be a silent clue for you.

Heh, heh!
That's actually a good idea.

As long as I can stand the aroma long enough, to keep a smile on my face...while asking.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
At the risk of sounding like a developer worshiper...it’s a pretty cool place.

Thank you for your one-liner.
It "smells" of a truism.

Short and sweet; you didn't mince words; good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Be careful.

Huh???
Old 05-25-2019, 12:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Perfume is another matter, not quite so unkind to discuss. It seems a little out there to discuss unhappy things that happen to seniors on this forum as if they could help themselves from offending people with their brain damage.
It's not seniors, though, it's elderly people! You know, the old ones. Not us.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:56 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

It is Saturday. Time to take a bath and start the fresh smells over.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:32 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I have an old miniature bottle of Shalimar that belonged to my mom. She kept it on her dresser and I remember seeing it back in the 1960's. It could be even older than that but I was born in '61 so I wouldn't remember any further back The alcohol has completely evaporated, leaving just a brown smudge of perfume base at the bottom of the bottle. When I open it, it smells exactly as it did when it was full, over 50 years ago. I open it once in awhile when I'm feeling nostalgic. The smell brings back good memories.
Shalimar is, for me, a scent that once smelled can never be unsmelled ... unsmelt (is that a word?). Just reading this post has the scent waffling in my nostrils.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Don't sit back in coach on a long international flight if you can't withstand body odor.

Some elderly women don't bathe or shower that often and don't have their clothes washed or cleaned frequently enough. They just pour on more perfume to cover the odors. This can be an especially huge problem in a hot, humid climate, especially if they are very obese and have unwashed folds in their body fat.
WOW you fired both barrels!
Closed Thread

Tags
perfume, area--dont, leave, grand, makeup--reminded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.