Solar panels in Fl

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts
Default Solar panels in Fl

Recently I had discussions with a few different people about installing solar panels (PV systems not solar hot water) in the villages.
I just came across an article in an online magazine that I get, it is very interesting to see how negative Florida is on Solar Photovoltaic panel installations. Here is the link I hope this works.

What

The article provides a lot of background information, as well as some very interesting comments. Back up North (Pennsylvania) Solar, and other forms of distributed generation are accepted and actually promoted, it really seems odd the "sunshine state" actually seems to oppose these installations.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Recently I had discussions with a few different people about installing solar panels (PV systems not solar hot water) in the villages.
I just came across an article in an online magazine that I get, it is very interesting to see how negative Florida is on Solar Photovoltaic panel installations. Here is the link I hope this works.

What

The article provides a lot of background information, as well as some very interesting comments. Back up North (Pennsylvania) Solar, and other forms of distributed generation are accepted and actually promoted, it really seems odd the "sunshine state" actually seems to oppose these installations.
The links works, but I have no idea why it came up labeled as WHAT..
Old 12-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Sage

FWIW, you can change the link description. If you edit your post you will see a string that looks like this:
www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2014/12/whats-really-at-stake-in-the-florida-solar-battle?cmpid=SolarNL-Tuesday-December9-2014]What[/url]
I have removed [url] tag from start of from the string so you could see the link text in my post.

Simply change 'What' to whatever you wish and then preview post to check it.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:29 PM

SOLAR POWER: The new community discussion group, Preserve Our Environment (POE) will host a guest speaker at its Jan. 12 meeting who will discuss the workings of solar panels converting the sun's light energy into direct current (DC), then invert it into alternating current (AC), for use in a home. Come hear the presentation and ask Dr. John Swanson the questions you would like to ask. Time: 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Send a private message to Queen for location (as the meeting location is presently being arranged). For further information on Dr. Swanson, check his facebook page:www.facebook.com/ResidentialSolarPower.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Gold member

If you dig deep enough, you will find that Duke Energy and Fla Power are very anti solar. Instead of receiving a bonus or discount on your power by selling it back via the grid, Floridans are charged and taxed more for solar use. No monitary incentive to switching to whole house solar.

Big business in the pockets of our elected officials seem to result in laws like that far too often.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:39 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Wow that is really sad. It is being widely promoted in states like Washington were it is much less feasible given our grey days than it would be in Florida. Everyone we know in Hawaii has active solar and solar water heating as well with the highest cost per kilowatt of any state they can finance the whole thing and pay less a month than they did for regular electric. People are even putting in air conditioning which only rich people had when we were young.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Whatever the attitudes of Duke Energy and Fla Power, one should consider it a good opportunity to learn from someone who is an internationally respected engineer and scientist in solar power. John Swanson will give a talk on Monday, Jan. 12, 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. The expected location for John's talk is a community church, United Church of Christ, 12514 CR 101, Oxford, Fl. Come ask John your questions regarding the use of solar power in Florida. Hope to see you there!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
if you dig deep enough, you will find that duke energy and fla power are very anti solar. Instead of receiving a bonus or discount on your power by selling it back via the grid, floridans are charged and taxed more for solar use. No monitary incentive to switching to whole house solar.

Big business in the pockets of our elected officials seem to result in laws like that far too often.
bingo!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you want solar go ahead and buy the system, but don't expect your neighbors to pay part of the cost.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

In the news again - will the houses in the Villages be allowed to have solar power?

Florida sees strange bedfellows in fight over solar power | Fox News
Old 02-22-2015, 06:43 AM
Sage

There is no restriction to install PV panels here.

I am big advocate of solar, but when looking at the cost in installation including a Federal 30% tax rebate it still takes a long time to re-coop that investment.

Of course the other side of the coin is that doing so is better for the environment in reducing your carbon foot print, but the first thing to do is ban gas golf carts

Now if the state would give us incentives that would change things.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post

I am big advocate of solar, but when looking at the cost in installation including a Federal 30% tax rebate it still takes a long time to re-coop that investment.

Of course the other side of the coin is that doing so is better for the environment in reducing your carbon foot print, but the first thing to do is ban gas golf carts

Jimbo... if you want to reduce your carbon footprint you might want to replace your Mazda Miata for a Chevy Volt!
Old 02-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Jimbo is absolutely right.

No one is stopping you from installing Solar panels. And if you have extra energy Duke will pay you for it.

Many people have solar panels for their pools.

Check out how much it would cost and tell us how long it would take to break even. Maybe twenty years?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe the overwhelming majority of new carts sold in The Villages are gas carts. If there was a serious air pollution concern, as there is in CA, I could see some merit in your suggestion but that isn't the case here. It is not as if electric carts don't have an environmental impact, they do because they consume electricity (albeit mostly generated using natural gas) and lead-acid batteries (which take energy and other resources to manufacture). The market has effectively spoken: people prefer gas carts. You can claim that the local golf cart shops "push" gas carts but most people believe that gas carts are more suited to their needs. If lithium-ion batteries, which have a long list of very significant advantages over lead-acid batteries, were at a lower price point the situation might be different.

At some point PV panels for your house and lithium-ion batteries (or another battery technology) for golf carts will become cost effective and widespread. The problem is trying to find a balance between forcing people to pay for expensive technology so as to create economies of scale (and cost-effectiveness) and letting people buy what they want. "Incentives" and "subsides" are code for forcing people to pay for those technologies.

Quote:

Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No one is stopping you from installing Solar panels. And if you have extra energy Duke will pay you for it.

Many people have solar panels for their pools.

Sadly, SECO will not buy back extra energy. It is easier (and more profitable) for them to produce all the power themselves, so legislation is usually required to force them to buy back.

However, the cost of PV systems has dropped dramatically over the past ten years, and continues to fall with economies of scale, so if I lived in TV year-round I would have one installed and just pay SECO less money, even without the facility to sell extra to them.

Certainly, solar hot water is a cost-efficient start to going green. I am shocked that TV doesn't use it at all of their pools, for heating the pool water and, where relevant, the showers. They should really give it a go at the next Sports Pool they build - they would be pleasantly surprised at the savings.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.