Stop sign question

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Sorry.... my bad!

Your eyes are getting very heavy . . .
But it's hard to get sleepy cuz I'm laughing so hard!!!

Bill
Old 05-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoerauf View Post
Believe it's appropriate to alternate in the circumstances you describe.
When the OP indicated that both N & S have stop signs, what's so inappropriate about indicating "alternate." Alternate is pretty much what's going to happen naturally, be it intentionally or not; unless of course one or more parties second, third, etc. in line fails to stop for the stop sign after the vehicle in front of them proceeds into their left hand turn. I'll refer to them as bumper huggers for lack of a better way of describing them!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
But it's hard to get sleepy cuz I'm laughing so hard!!!

Bill
...and spitting out popcorn of course!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Sage

I think what is confusing this issue is that some states have laws where, if you stop where a stop sign exists, even if you're the third car back of the stop sign, you don't have to stop again before going through the intersection if cross traffic allows. So, in the scenario described, if the third car in line is going straight through, they probably don't think they should yield to someone turning left in front of them. Others feel you must stop at the sign, even if you're the next car/cart in line, thus setting up an alternating scenario with the other cars/carts at the stop signs.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I think what is confusing this issue is that some states have laws where, if you stop where a stop sign exists, even if you're the third car back of the stop sign, you don't have to stop again before going through the intersection if cross traffic allows. So, in the scenario described, if the third car in line is going straight through, they probably don't think they should yield to someone turning left in front of them. Others feel you must stop at the sign, even if you're the next car/cart in line, thus setting up an alternating scenario with the other cars/carts at the stop signs.
I'm not about to research each state, but what you've stated (highlighted) is hard to believe and have doubts that it's not a violation of a V&T law in any state. I can't imagine a Motor Vehicle Safety Analysist any where suggesting such a provision go into law. Now can I imagine a lawmaker doing so? Well, that's a different matter! The Villages Florida Either way doing so could be a mistake... a fatal mistake!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Wow I have never heard of this being allowed. Every state I have ever lived in you must stop at the sign when you reach the sign everytime regardless of traffic or if you stopped because you were number 10 in line.

Learn something new everyday.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Sage

In a round about sort of way, this thread is great PR for the intersections in TV. Remind me to post a link to it next winter when the annual roundabout bitchin' starts making the rounds.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
Wow I have never heard of this being allowed. Every state I have ever lived in you must stop at the sign when you reach the sign everytime regardless of traffic or if you stopped because you were number 10 in line.

Learn something new everyday.
I have also lived in several states where stopping was required-period. What states do otherwise-can anyone give a reference?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
...and spitting out popcorn of course!
Yep!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
In a round about sort of way, this thread is great PR for the intersections in TV. Remind me to post a link to it next winter when the annual roundabout bitchin' starts making the rounds.
"In a round about sort of way.........." Subtle humor is always great!

Bill
Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
I have also lived in several states where stopping was required-period. What states do otherwise-can anyone give a reference?
This was changed in 1971, I believe, when the US DOT established the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices to make laws consistent across the US. Previously, there two different stop signs used, mostly in the New England area. One, a "through stop" sign, had the word "Thru" above the word stop on the usual octagonal, red sign. The other did not. All cars had to stop at the stop line where there was a "Thru" stop. At the other, up to three cars could proceed, if safe, having stopped once. I agree it wasn't a safe system. But someone who was licensed prior to the law being changed may still think it is correct to proceed in that manner.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
This was changed in 1971, I believe, when the US DOT established the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices to make laws consistent across the US. Previously, there two different stop signs used, mostly in the New England area. One, a "through stop" sign, had the word "Thru" above the word stop on the usual octagonal, red sign. The other did not. All cars had to stop at the stop line where there was a "Thru" stop. At the other, up to three cars could proceed, if safe, having stopped once. I agree it wasn't a safe system. But someone who was licensed prior to the law being changed may still think it is correct to proceed in that manner.
I'll bet that some of those licensed before 1971 that can't remember the law changed 40 years ago also have a problem remembering where their turn signal stick is today if they used it just yesterday!

BTW, I was first licensed in the State of New York in 1963 and drove through every New England state prior by 1971... except RI and CT, and I don't remember ever seeing a stop sign with with a "Thru" on it. Not saying they didn't exist, just saying I don't remember any!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My wife and I were both licensed in 1956 and early on drove over much of the east coast . Never heard of the up to three drive through.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.