Stop vs Yield

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts
Default Stop vs Yield

I was sitting outside Dunkin Donuts in Brownwood this morning (which is across from the Police Annex) enjoying a bagel, and coffee. In the course of the 45 minutes I was there I noticed one golf cart and one cart that actually stopped, two cars that turned left from the right lane and one gas cart going around the square twice at maximum speed. All other cars and carts never stopped at any of the crossings. So the question is, could the County save money by increasing the volume of yield signs they buy and eliminate the cost of the stop signs since they are no longer relevant?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Maybe?
But then we would have to also do away with the speed limit signs!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Sage

I remember the last moving violation my father got. He tried to explain to an officer in New Jersey that he was making a California stop, which is perfectly legal. And the officer told him that he didn't care what they did in California, in New Jersey stop means stop.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:15 PM

I think the round abouts contribute to the no need to stop mentality. Drivers get used to the "its clear, I can go".
Old 06-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Sage

How would the county save money? A yield sign probably costs the same as a stop sign.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran member

I have noticed that more and more cars and golf carts no longer come to a stop anymore. Years ago you would get a ticket for that, but now many people roll right through the stop signs. They do look, but sometimes it can unnerve you a bit if you are on the main road and you see a car approaching from a side street and you aren't sure if they are going to stop or pull out in front of you.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
How would the county save money? A yield sign probably costs the same as a stop sign.
I was kidding but there are volume discounts when you buy a bunch of one size and color......1000 yield signs should cost less than 500 yield signs and 500 stop signs......but as I said, I was being a bit facetious.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
I have noticed that more and more cars and golf carts no longer come to a stop anymore. Years ago you would get a ticket for that, but now many people roll right through the stop signs. They do look, but sometimes it can unnerve you a bit if you are on the main road and you see a car approaching from a side street and you aren't sure if they are going to stop or pull out in front of you.
I've noticed more carts while following your cart will cut and race thru a parking lot of a rec center to try and beat you because you stopped for possible autos turning in. Such a hurry.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I was kidding but there are volume discounts when you buy a bunch of one size and color......1000 yield signs should cost less than 500 yield signs and 500 stop signs......but as I said, I was being a bit facetious.
Some people just don't get it
Old 06-09-2015, 09:54 PM

Tickets would get some bux on board.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I was sitting outside Dunkin Donuts in Brownwood this morning (which is across from the Police Annex) enjoying a bagel, and coffee. In the course of the 45 minutes I was there I noticed one golf cart and one cart that actually stopped, two cars that turned left from the right lane and one gas cart going around the square twice at maximum speed. All other cars and carts never stopped at any of the crossings. So the question is, could the County save money by increasing the volume of yield signs they buy and eliminate the cost of the stop signs since they are no longer relevant?
Thank you for not seeing any bicycle riders inn that group above.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
Thank you for not seeing any bicycle riders inn that group above.
Actually saw one but he was sitting with me at the table having coffee. When he left he did stop at the stop sign...an unusual thing.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

This is easy to fix. Just set up and ticket all who fail to come to a complete stop. No warnings just a ticket and double the fines for a second offense.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, signs, stopped, stop, cars, yield, crossings, maximum, speed, carts, save, cost, eliminate, relevant, longer, buy, volume, county, square, money, increasing, question, police, annex, enjoying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.