Backs to a Wall...

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Default Backs to a Wall...

I've been looking on-line at the new homes and some descriptions say "backs to a wall". I'm wondering if that would eliminate the idea of putting in a birdcage. I guess it would depend on how much land is between the back of the house and the wall. Would you be permitted to go right up to the wall if you wanted to add a birdcage or do you have to stay a certain distance away from the wall? Can anyone give me an idea of what a birdcage would cost? I'm thinking of the Iris or Begonia model. The lanai is long but narrow and I would like to add some space behind the home. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodiana View Post
I've been looking on-line at the new homes and some descriptions say "backs to a wall". I'm wondering if that would eliminate the idea of putting in a birdcage. I guess it would depend on how much land is between the back of the house and the wall. Would you be permitted to go right up to the wall if you wanted to add a birdcage or do you have to stay a certain distance away from the wall? Can anyone give me an idea of what a birdcage would cost? I'm thinking of the Iris or Begonia model. The lanai is long but narrow and I would like to add some space behind the home. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi There,
We are just starting construction on our Lily and we back to a wall and we are also having a Birdcage put in. Our plans show 10' from the birdcage to the wall. Our property is pie shape, with the house set back 20'. Not sure how much the price of a Birdcage is alone, we are installing a pool so that cage is in the price.
Linda
Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Sage

decodiana -

You'll need to check the setback requirements on a lot-by-lot basis before you buy if you're planning to add anything on to the house. I'm certain you won't be allowed to build clear to the rear (or side) lot line(s).

Bill
Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Gongy, would you be able to give me the estimated cost for the add-on birdcage with the pool?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Gongy, would you be able to give me the estimated cost for the add-on birdcage with the pool?
I'll send you a private message with info.
Linda
Old 05-15-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongy View Post
I'll send you a private message with info.
Linda
Would you also mind sending me the approximate cost? Thanks so much.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
We were told that the covenant states thatj any additions would have to be 20 feet from the lot line. This "rule" can be appealed and some people I know have been able to put birdcages closer to the lot line.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Sage

Your plot map shows the area that you can place things such as any building or birdcage/pool. Not sure of the exact setbacks because some lots are different (for example my corner has a 20ft from front street and then a 10 set back. But my sides are 5ft.)
Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincap View Post
Would you also mind sending me the approximate cost? Thanks so much.
Sent you a PM.
Linda
Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Your plot map shows the area that you can place things such as any building or birdcage/pool. Not sure of the exact setbacks because some lots are different (for example my corner has a 20ft from front street and then a 10 set back. But my sides are 5ft.)
Funny? I checked my plot map and it doesn't show any set back information. However, I did find it in the deed restrictions on pg. 4 Easments and Rights-of-usage and the setback is 7.5 feet at the back. Each should check their own though since they could be different as well as there being exceptions. The restrictions can be found at:

Sumter County: http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...terCounty.aspx

Marion County: http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...ionCounty.aspx

Lake County: http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...akeCounty.aspx
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 PM

We bought a lot that backs to a wall, we wanted it that way, but our lanai is on the side and we were able to add a birdcage...it depends on how your house will sit on the lot....
Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Default Backs to a wall...

Our home is in Bonita. We were not able to add a birdcage because of the ten foot setback requirement. However, we were able to add a substantial patio to the back of the house. My understanding is that a patio, as opposed to a vertical structure, can go right up to the property line. Our patio was put in by T & D. The patio looks great, and 'finishes off' the back of the house.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.