Storage over the garage and bedroom closet

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Storage over the garage and bedroom closet

I’m in a new courtyard villa in Phillips Villas. I’m having someone install the fold down steps for access above the garage for storage in a couple weeks. I was under the impression that there were plywood sheets up in that area for storage but I took a peek today and there is none. So I guess the stair installer will also need to put something up there for my storage items to rest on. Also there is another door to the ceiling in my master bedroom closet. Opened that one too and the insulation rests about 6 inches higher than the rafters while the access door itself has no insulation above it. I guess my questions are - should there have been plywood in the garage storage area and what is the reason for the ceiling access door in the master bedroom closet.
Thanks in advance,
Bruce
Old 11-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
I’m in a new courtyard villa in Phillips Villas. I’m having someone install the fold down steps for access above the garage for storage in a couple weeks. I was under the impression that there were plywood sheets up in that area for storage but I took a peek today and there is none. So I guess the stair installer will also need to put something up there for my storage items to rest on. Also there is another door to the ceiling in my master bedroom closet. Opened that one too and the insulation rests about 6 inches higher than the rafters while the access door itself has no insulation above it. I guess my questions are - should there have been plywood in the garage storage area and what is the reason for the ceiling access door in the master bedroom closet.
Thanks in advance,
Bruce
We installed plywood above the garage for storage in areas that were clear of wiring, ductwork, etc. We have a closet access panel and hallway access panel, both best suited for access by service people.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Gold member
Default From your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Thanks in advance,
Bruce
I would guess the reason you have no insulation above the attic door in your master bedroom but it is 6 inches higher that the rafters around that area is that one of the service people opened that hatch and so the insulation was pushed off the door as they opened it they would have no EASY way to put it back

Things you want to be aware of. It is not the insulation that you buy that prevents heat flow but the air trapped in the insulation. Assuming that your report that your insulation is 6 inches above the rafters so 4 + 6 or 10 inches of insulation in your attic. If, you put sheets of plywood on top of that it will compress your insulation from 10 inches to 4 inches and you will have cut you insulation effectiveness.

One of our neighbors put some woodworking equipment above his garage. Realize, for stuff you plan on storing up there. In the summer is regularly gets to 140 degrees up there and putting items up there-climbing that fold down ladder with you hands full-not my idea of fun.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the replies. I’m starting to question whether or not I want to store any stuff over the garage.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:27 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Dear Bruce,
What others have said is basically true. The attic over your master closet has 9" of batt insulation over it, giving you an R-30.
This access is not for any storage, only for secondary access.

Over the garage is typically not insulated, as the garage is unconditioned space. While many folks DO put 7/16" OSB up there for storage, the trusses up there are NOT engineered or rated for flooring or storage. The bottom chord of those trusses are manly for holding up the garage ceiling drywall.

That being said, folks do it all the time, and have not caused problems as long as they keep the weight down, limiting storage to holiday decorations, suitcases, etc.

However, as an Inspector I have to tell you they are not rated for storage. Also, it gets pretty hot up there....not a place for your candle collection....

If you do have attic stairs installed, make sure they go in the direction of the roof, so you do not hit your hear on the sharp roof nails. Also, beware of companies who do not use lag bolts to install them. A lot of companies are using drywall or gutter screws for the install...this is NOT correct. I write it up all the time.

Hope this helps!

Frank
Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Note the size of the framing and then figure out how much weight it can hold. You want light stuff and stuff that can stand up to the heat.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Dear Bruce,
What others have said is basically true. The attic over your master closet has 9" of batt insulation over it, giving you an R-30.
This access is not for any storage, only for secondary access.

Over the garage is typically not insulated, as the garage is unconditioned space. While many folks DO put 7/16" OSB up there for storage, the trusses up there are NOT engineered or rated for flooring or storage. The bottom chord of those trusses are manly for holding up the garage ceiling drywall.

That being said, folks do it all the time, and have not caused problems as long as they keep the weight down, limiting storage to holiday decorations, suitcases, etc.

However, as an Inspector I have to tell you they are not rated for storage. Also, it gets pretty hot up there....not a place for your candle collection....

If you do have attic stairs installed, make sure they go in the direction of the roof, so you do not hit your hear on the sharp roof nails. Also, beware of companies who do not use lag bolts to install them. A lot of companies are using drywall or gutter screws for the install...this is NOT correct. I write it up all the time.

Hope this helps!

Frank
Frank, as usual, very informative. Looking forward to your inspection next May.
Thanks,
Bruce
Closed Thread

Tags
storage, access, door, bedroom, closet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.