New vs Resale

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2020, 09:15 PM
Default New vs Resale

Is it still the general consensus that typically buying new is less expensive than resale?

Seems like when you add upgrades, the increasing bond and lot premiums that may not be the case?
Old 11-21-2020, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkiehound View Post
Is it still the general consensus that typically buying new is less expensive than resale?

Seems like when you add upgrades, the increasing bond and lot premiums that may not be the case?
New and resale are about the same cost when you consider all factors such as location, view and size and general neighborhood upkeep. In my opinion. I don't sell real estate.

I don't think it is cheaper to buy new. It is just that you are getting a brand new everything . AND a community who is new to each other.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:

Location, location, location, the most popular phrase in real estate. That's for a reason. Anything new is exciting, how long is that gonna last. Drive around the 35 square miles of the established Villages, I know when I moved here almost ten years ago, I liked what I saw and I still do.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:40 AM
Gold member

A lot depends on where you want to live. In my opinion there are no Deals in the Villages. Everything is over priced... good if you bought years ago.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Maybe.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 AM

Don’t think is necessarily cheaper to buy new. Yes, I bought new but then did a number of upgrades. I.e. rain gutters, plank flooring whole house, glassed in lanai, split a/c in lanai. If I could have found an existing similar house I would have definitely considered buying an established home. Another post was right about moving into a new neighborhood that everyone else is new too and meeting your neighbors.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default Overpriced compared to What ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
A lot depends on where you want to live. In my opinion there are no Deals in the Villages. Everything is over priced... good if you bought years ago.
I’ve bought new 5 times in villages , usually very early in the build except one that was a close out which go very fast , in my case got there at 9 bought it at 9:5 I’ don’t buy just to make money although I always do , but I know I get restless so I want to be in position to make money
Old 11-22-2020, 10:47 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Having a new home warranty, better windows, doors, and insulation, smart ready, on demand hot water, currently you have a choice of 6 villages selling/building new homes many of them with natural gas, no worry about the age of the HVAC, roof, appliances, hot water heater, etc., all of this in my mind makes buying new my choice. I may be in the minority on this but that is how I feel.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:20 AM

Also with new you will have a bond. Many resale homes the bond has been paid. Just something to think about.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:23 AM

Of course there are pros and cons to buying new or resale. Buying new gives you new everything, both house wise and neighborhood. I’ve bought three resales in TV because I like knowing exactly what is in front, back, and on each side of my house, i.e. no surprise eyesores, or misperceptions of what my location will entail. To each their own.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML Smith View Post
Don’t think is necessarily cheaper to buy new. Yes, I bought new but then did a number of upgrades. I.e. rain gutters, plank flooring whole house, glassed in lanai, split a/c in lanai. If I could have found an existing similar house I would have definitely considered buying an established home. Another post was right about moving into a new neighborhood that everyone else is new too and meeting your neighbors.
"Upgrade"? Maybe you consider glassing in a linai and providing a)c to it an "upgrade" but you can't assume it really is. You have no linai now; you have more indoor living space.

Many want a linai in the traditional sense not a 4 season porch. There is a difference
Old 11-23-2020, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Location, location, location, the most popular phrase in real estate. That's for a reason. Anything new is exciting, how long is that gonna last. Drive around the 35 square miles of the established Villages, I know when I moved here almost ten years ago, I liked what I saw and I still do.
John, you took the words right out of my mouth. Those who want brand new must live south of 44. That location is not "prime" in my opinion. Much prefer The Villages in the established areas around the Lake Sumter Landing area. Others may prefer the southern Villages. It is all a matter of (as the saying goes), location, location, location.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltongrizz11 View Post
"Upgrade"? Maybe you consider glassing in a linai and providing a)c to it an "upgrade" but you can't assume it really is. You have no linai now; you have more indoor living space.

Many want a linai in the traditional sense not a 4 season porch. There is a difference
I agree. I love my outdoor space in the fresh air. I BBQ on the lanai, under the roof. I enjoy being able to BBQ in the rain and my food and me stay dry. The BBQ is placed so it is just protected by the roof. So far, the roof has remained pristine with no evidence of BBQ smoke on it or the surrounding stucco of our home

We do not sit outside in the heat of the summer so the lanai for us during those months is not usable. That is the downside to an open air space.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:20 AM

We bought way up north in what the Frogs call the 'COUNTRY'. Very quiet. And yes we've done recent upgrades, but we bought right. We can be out of 'the bubble' in less than a minute..
Old 11-23-2020, 07:22 AM

A quick something to think about as the bonds are high these days
Closed Thread

Tags
resale, premiums, lot, bond, increasing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.