Storing gasoline

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Where can I store gasoline in gas can ready to use in mower or generator if I have an enclosed lanai?
Wow, I see some crazy answers to this. A proper gas container with the proper lids and caps on it and used can be safely stored in the garage. It is that simple. Keep it out of the sun (in your garage) so it will not bloat when warmed up.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Where can I store gasoline in gas can ready to use in mower or generator if I have an enclosed lanai?
Today's new cans are not vented no fumes. Put it in garage where it belongs.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltongrizz11 View Post
Some of you guys with your gas storage questions are as far out as Mars. Just by your suggestions I can tell some of you never lived in rural areas and don't know how many Americans live day to day. You put your gas where you need to and where you want to when you don't worry about it as long as you got a decent can.

Anywhere outside is acceptable for the gasoline itself it's just a matter of whether you want to break the rules according to some here. I love the idea of a deck box that someone suggested right out of the chute. The risk of an explosion and all the scary tactics that they put on year is BS when it's outside.
Your car, unless it is a very old antique has a vapor recovery system, so does not leak fuel vapors into the garage. Your golf cart does not. It sits there with up to seven gallons of gasoline changing temperature in the tank every day as the garage heats up and cools down. Get a good UL listed gas can (try WalMart or Ace ) that meets ANSI/ASTM standard F852-99, keep the vent closed and lid on tight and live life. You might notice the sides expand when it is very hot, and contract when cold. No significant vapor leakage.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Today's new cans are not vented no fumes. Put it in garage where it belongs.
I’ve never seen gas can that was vented? Why would vent something that holds vaporization fluid? You had to remove, loosen something, or take the cap off and pull the self venting spout out. Even the older plastic gas cans had little cap to remove to allow air in when pouring. But, there was no open vent unless you left the cap off and if you did you smelled gas vapors.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandHSTAR@AOL.com View Post
A few yards away from your house? So you are suggesting near your neighbor's house? Be he would love that LOL
Yes, like neighbor that barbecue’s on propane grill In CYV setting 10” from neighbors house wall with back facing wall with heat running up wall to roof. But the nothing in restrictions about that, but pages of minor Bs.
Closed Thread

Tags
gasoline, storing, enclosed, generator, mower

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.