Storing gasoline

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2021, 08:24 AM
Default New gas cans with push button valve are safe

The new gas cans with a push button shut-off valve are good for storage and should not release fumes since the push button spring keeps the opening closed when the can is stored. There is also a cap that covers the spout so you have double protection from fume leakage. I have used this type in my garage for many years and have not smelled gasoline fumes.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:29 AM

Have another question, any idea how do we get rid of old gasoline which we bought for our generator in case of a hurricane and it has not been used? It is probably 5 years old.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

It is amazing how much dangerous misinformation is posted in this thread. The fact that someone managed to "get away" with doing something dangerous does not make it safe.

There are laws in most communities about how you can legally store gasoline, and they are not based on politics, but based on trying to help prevent deaths.

Here is a page on how to store gasoline safely and legally.

How to Store Gasoline (DIY)
Old 06-19-2021, 08:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennythenet View Post
Have another question, any idea how do we get rid of old gasoline which we bought for our generator in case of a hurricane and it has not been used? It is probably 5 years old.
You can take it to any shop that works on automobiles. Including Walmart, etc. They all have disposal mechanisms for petroleum products like oil and gas. Do NOT pour it on the ground - don't pour oil gasoline, kerosene, or any other petroleum-based product on the ground on in the drainage.

Oil and petroleum products are toxic to people, wildlife, and plants. One quart of motor oil can pollute 250,000 gallons of water, and one gallon of gasoline can pollute 750,000 gallons of water!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:37 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
It is amazing how much dangerous misinformation is posted in this thread. The fact that someone managed to "get away" with doing something dangerous does not make it safe.

There are laws in most communities about how you can legally store gasoline, and they are not based on politics, but based on trying to help prevent deaths.

Here is a page on how to store gasoline safely and legally.

How to Store Gasoline (DIY)
Got a link to just one of those "laws" not related to commercial storage?

Last edited by NoMoSno; 06-19-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:44 AM

We had a “Just Right Safety Can” and stored it outside.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Don't listen to the person who said to get the storage box and put it outside. It's against the rules and if you break them and something goes wrong(gas fumes explode...damage your place and others)you're libel. People that don't take into account consequences and break simple rules can't be trusted to use common sense.

As to the person who said it might explode in your garage due to the concentration of gas fumes and electrical lights or appliances...bollocks. Your garage is too big and not air tight in the least so you'd never get that volume of gas fumes collecting. Just google the cubic ft. of the garage and the what is required for the concentration of gas fumes to become a danger.
Don’t know anything about outside storage boxes but everything else you said I agree! Personally I’ve always stored gas in gas cans in my garage. Never had an issue. But I know someone personally in Harbour Hills. where a Gas Golf Cart caught (battery shorted out) on fire & gutted their garage, car & everytime & smoke damage to the total inside of house. Lucky for them the Fire Dept. was just going by H.H. from another fire so this fire got put out before it got into the house. Lucky for them, sorta!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Why, yes I do. The flow down is the state adopts the national fire code, which is: Maximum residential storage of flammable liquids (gasoline & white gas) shall be limited to 25 gallons; preferably stored in an unattached garage or shed. Of this 25 gallon total, no more than 10 gallons can be stored in an attached garage; and absolutely no flammable liquid storage is allowed in basements.

So there you have it, outside storage has a preference as I recommend in my post on the deck box.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I’m leaning towards storing gas in the car’s tank. And when I need it just siphon it into the gas can and then whatever is not used siphon back. Any suggestions?
Most cars have an anti siphon valve so getting gas in that manor is probably not an option.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
Yeah, that won't work.

Depending on the vehicle there are screens, check balls and a number of other anti-siphon/anti-tipover/anti-splashback measures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
Most cars have an anti siphon valve so getting gas in that manor is probably not an option.
Back in the day on TOTV, most people actually read the previous posts before utilizing their keyboard
Old 06-19-2021, 09:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
I can't find Wildwood's laws or codes online, but here is Fort Lauderdale's. If you want to know what the laws are contact your local Fire Department:

http://fortlauderdale.elaws.us/code/cid10787/47-18.13/
Old 06-19-2021, 09:11 AM
Veteran member
Default Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
It's really funny how everyone is talking do's and don'ts of storing gasoline in the garage. No one is talking about the propane tanks of your barbeque being stored in the garage for 6 months. which I think much more dangerous Up north, you NEVER store a propane tank in an enclosed space.
Your propane tank sits on your grill for months on end in the Florida sun with no issue, thats the design so having them in the shaded garage would be a non issue.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:13 AM

If your water heater is in the garage and it has a pilot light, how can you safely store gas in that space?
So storing gas in the garage is not a good idea by the recommended DIY advice.

My house up north has the water heater in the basement. So gas storage would be okay in my garage up there.

What does the local villages fire department feel about gas cans or propane tanks in the garage I wonder?
Old 06-19-2021, 09:14 AM
Veteran member
Default Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Gas is stored in millions of gas tanks, in garages around the world. Your car has a gas tank, your golf cart has a gas tank, your lawn mower, weed whacker....... one more tank won't matter.
Ahhhh common sense prevails thank you
Old 06-19-2021, 09:24 AM
Default Siphoning from a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I’m leaning towards storing gas in the car’s tank. And when I need it just siphon it into the gas can and then whatever is not used siphon back. Any suggestions?
Most newer model cars and SUV’s have emergency valves that stop gas from draining out in the event of a roll-over. This valve also acts as a siphon prevention system which is the reason why nearly all the siphon devices and pumps sold these days are useless. That being said, there is a way to siphon gas from a modern car, you just need to know how to do it and have the right tools for the job.
Closed Thread

Tags
gasoline, storing, enclosed, generator, mower

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.