Storing items in the garage?

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2022, 09:13 PM

Insulate the garage doors, insulate the garage attic space and in my opinion you can store paper products, etc. as well as canned goods. Not too hot in the summer and above freezing in the winter, canned foods should be fine. Lots of people put an extra fridge or an extra in the garage. Not sure of the economics, butost people seem happy with their choice.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachpit View Post
If you're going to eat it, don't put it in the garage. Go ahead and try anything else. At least it won't kill you.
Believe it or not I grew up in FLA with no AC. We took lunch to school also no AC and it sat in the heat till lunchtime. How did we survive?
Old 06-27-2022, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
Thank you all for your responses - coming from up north from a house with 3 floors and a lot of storage space, I'm getting my thoughts organized around what will go where in my TV home. I've already downsized a good deal and have things that will definitely get tossed when I move. I was definitely thinking of those 5-shelf pieces already for the garage and I guess I will buy cabinets as needed for the food and sensitive items.

One final question - which Designer homes have an abundant deal of storage space in the home?
I suppose it depends on the house. We rented several before purchasing our current home and none of them in my opinion had "abundant" storage space. We come from UpNort too, four-bedroom rambler w/full finished basement and attached garage. To say that our current home here in TV has about one tenth the storage space of our former home would not be an exaggeration.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
That does sound reasonable to me but I don't know for sure.
Some foods can be stored in non AC warehouse, but not all foods. I had a 3PL company in NY for many years, there are certain items that we had to keep in an AC floor of the warehouse (we had heat in the entire building but only kept one floor cool.). The cold section had a low ceiling height, which made it easier to cool. The non cooled sections had ceilings up to 30 ft high which helped to keep the workers cooler . The items in the cold storage also "tended" to be shipped in refrigerated trucks (Depending on distance and product.)
Old 06-27-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
I worked at UPS for 15 years as a supervisor. Everything that is shipped via UPS is in the heat -- from factory/supplier/seller to delivery. LTL (Less than Truck Load) are in the heat. Even most factory products are in hot truck trailers from start to finish.

I imagine that this is factored into the Use By date.

Having said all this, I would still store as much as I could in a cooler place -- longer shelf life, probably better taste from the can/jar.

Speciality products -- produce, dairy, some medicine, etc. -- is shipped cool. This same line of products would be ones we should be especially careful with when taking from store to home.
WHat area of the country were you in while working with UPS. My facilities were the west side of NYC and Northern Jersey (though we shipped worldwide).
Old 06-30-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
How did we survive?
miserably.
Closed Thread

Tags
goods, garage, paper, dry, softeners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.