Strange animal in the Village of Lynnhaven last night.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 04-01-2020, 08:03 AM
theruizs
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRussell View Post
Chupacabra
  #17  
Old 04-01-2020, 08:23 AM
curt.1 curt.1 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I live on Cane Garden #6 and see a bobcat on the course and in my yard quite often.
  #18  
Old 04-01-2020, 08:27 AM
merrymini merrymini is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 464
Thanks: 207
Thanked 698 Times in 268 Posts
Default

I would love to see a bobcat! I live in the village of Hillsborough and it appears we have had them around but they seem to travel at night. Beautiful animal!
  #19  
Old 04-01-2020, 08:47 AM
joannej's Avatar
joannej joannej is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey, WA state, Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 418
Thanks: 19
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Could be trunk monkeys!
__________________
New Jersey, Washington State, Pennsylvania, Florida
  #20  
Old 04-01-2020, 09:02 AM
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
Thanks: 2,112
Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail3762 View Post
When we’re these pictures taken? Especially the one in Hillsborough.
Except for the Florida Panther, those photos came from the online newspaper Village News. I'm unable to put a link to the article because that site is blocked. I just just searched and that was July 22, 2019 and here's the story.

Villager surprised to spot bobcat on wall outside his home

A Villager was surprised to spot a bobcat walking on the wall behind his home.

The bobcat was spotted Saturday morning at the home of Doug Byers at 3728 Infinity Run in the Village of Hillsborough.

“This cat was whining like it was hungry and it looked malnourished,” Byers said.

The Florida bobcat is identifiable by its short tail and the fringes of fur that outline the sides of its head. It weighs between 13 and 30 pounds and has a tail with white on its underside and black markings on its top side.

Bobcats are mainly nocturnal hunters who may also prey during the daylight hours. During the summer the Florida bobcats will eat mostly local fauna including squirrels, opossums, rabbits and raccoons. During the winter months, they hunt birds that pass through Florida to escape the cold up north.


Here's another Village News story,

Villager captures impressive image of bobcat at Sharon Rose Wiechens Preserve

Tom Lamb recently captured an impressive image of a bobcat at the Sharon Rose Wiechens Preserve.

This sighting follows others in the past few months in the Village of Pennecamp, the Village of Dunedin and at that same preserve.

The Florida bobcat is identifiable by its short tail and the fringes of fur that outline the sides of its head. It weighs between 13 and 30 pounds and has a tail with white on its underside and black markings on its top side.

Bobcats are mainly nocturnal hunters who may also prey during the daylight hours. During the summer the Florida bobcats will eat mostly local fauna including squirrels, opossums, rabbits and raccoons. During the winter months, they hunt birds that pass through Florida to escape the cold up north.


The Villages Florida

Sounds like you're concerned because of your pet. Besides bobcats, there has been many more reports of dogs being snatched by coyotes. One of the guys from my golf group had a neighbor's dog taken during the day in the Village of Tall Trees, a very congested area just off 466 and two people were in the yard with the dog, however he was not on a leash. Here's the channel 9 story that ran on TV.

Coyote snatches woman's dog in The Villages
  #21  
Old 04-01-2020, 09:12 AM
Northstar Northstar is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 147
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Anyone else startled by a strange critter in the Villages last night? Saw it come from between our house and the neighbor's. Stop in the next door neighbor's drive-way and then cross the street only to stop again at a neighbor who is kitty corner to us.

My guess is that it was only about 30 lbs but it looked like from the pictures online like a Florida panther. But I do not remember a long tail.

Florida panthers are a lot more than 30 lbs full grown. It did have the panther's solid color though.

I did Google the Villages and Florida panther. That brought up a picture but that looks a lot bigger than what I saw.
-------------------------------

In mid February I saw a Bobcat chasing a rabbit. I was walking down Livingston Loop in Lynnhaven at 5am. They both came out from the Belmont golf course.
  #22  
Old 04-01-2020, 09:25 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43,049
Thanks: 3,571
Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,007 Posts
Default

A friend from Doggie Doo Run Run's pooch, Jon Snow, got dragged off by a coyote about 3 AM a few years ago. He was a five year old chihuahua/ miniature pincher mix. One of Beau's top buddies at Doggie Doo Run Run. She had let it out to pee in her yard which had a doggie electric fence. She had not been aware coyotes were in her neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Except for the Florida Panther, those photos came from the online newspaper Village News. I'm unable to put a link to the article because that site is blocked. I just just searched and that was July 22, 2019 and here's the story.

Villager surprised to spot bobcat on wall outside his home

A Villager was surprised to spot a bobcat walking on the wall behind his home.

The bobcat was spotted Saturday morning at the home of Doug Byers at 3728 Infinity Run in the Village of Hillsborough.

“This cat was whining like it was hungry and it looked malnourished,” Byers said.

The Florida bobcat is identifiable by its short tail and the fringes of fur that outline the sides of its head. It weighs between 13 and 30 pounds and has a tail with white on its underside and black markings on its top side.

Bobcats are mainly nocturnal hunters who may also prey during the daylight hours. During the summer the Florida bobcats will eat mostly local fauna including squirrels, opossums, rabbits and raccoons. During the winter months, they hunt birds that pass through Florida to escape the cold up north.


Here's another Village News story,

Villager captures impressive image of bobcat at Sharon Rose Wiechens Preserve

Tom Lamb recently captured an impressive image of a bobcat at the Sharon Rose Wiechens Preserve.

This sighting follows others in the past few months in the Village of Pennecamp, the Village of Dunedin and at that same preserve.

The Florida bobcat is identifiable by its short tail and the fringes of fur that outline the sides of its head. It weighs between 13 and 30 pounds and has a tail with white on its underside and black markings on its top side.

Bobcats are mainly nocturnal hunters who may also prey during the daylight hours. During the summer the Florida bobcats will eat mostly local fauna including squirrels, opossums, rabbits and raccoons. During the winter months, they hunt birds that pass through Florida to escape the cold up north.


The Villages Florida

Sounds like you're concerned because of your pet. Besides bobcats, there has been many more reports of dogs being snatched by coyotes. One of the guys from my golf group had a neighbor's dog taken during the day in the Village of Tall Trees, a very congested area just off 466 and two people were in the yard with the dog, however he was not on a leash. Here's the channel 9 story that ran on TV.

Coyote snatches woman's dog in The Villages
  #23  
Old 04-01-2020, 09:28 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43,049
Thanks: 3,571
Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,007 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
-------------------------------

In mid February I saw a Bobcat chasing a rabbit. I was walking down Livingston Loop in Lynnhaven at 5am. They both came out from the Belmont golf course.
The bobcat scat Beau had peed on from every angle was only about one hundred feet from Livingston Loop. This was near the restroom on Belmont golf course.
  #24  
Old 04-01-2020, 09:45 AM
fdpaq0580 fdpaq0580 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 294
Thanks: 290
Thanked 433 Times in 161 Posts
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Anyone else startled by a strange critter in the Villages last night? Saw it come from between our house and the neighbor's. Stop in the next door neighbor's drive-way and then cross the street only to stop again at a neighbor who is kitty corner to us.

My guess is that it was only about 30 lbs but it looked like from the pictures online like a Florida panther. But I do not remember a long tail.

Florida panthers are a lot more than 30 lbs full grown. It did have the panther's solid color though.

I did Google the Villages and Florida panther. That brought up a picture but that looks a lot bigger than what I saw.
Saw something odd just outside of our patio screen late one afternoon a few months ago. About two weeks later at around 3 am I looked out our front window and saw something that looked similar to my first sighting. I don't believe it was dog, or bobcat because it looked more the shape of a large otter. Both times I did not get a good look due to not having my glasses on. Your guess is as good as mine.
  #25  
Old 04-01-2020, 10:43 AM
charlieboy charlieboy is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exclamation Fauna Returns

With the reduced activity outdoors, animals will become a little bolder. The longer this goes on the more likely you are to see more "strange" animals. They are just taking their habitat back for a while. Enjoy them but keep your dogs on a leash.
  #26  
Old 04-01-2020, 10:51 AM
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
Thanks: 2,112
Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
...I don't believe it was dog, or bobcat because it looked more the shape of a large otter. Both times I did not get a good look due to not having my glasses on. Your guess is as good as mine.
This was in the Villages Sun today, an otter in Fenney Springs nature trail.

The Villages Florida
  #27  
Old 04-01-2020, 11:02 AM
kcksmom kcksmom is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tierra del Sol North
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

More than likely from your description, it was a bobcat. We have seen them on rare occasions in our neighborhood of Tierra del sol North. I was walking at dusk some time ago and one crossed my path about 50 yards away moving from the 18th hole to the marsh.
  #28  
Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Rosebud1949 Rosebud1949 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 222
Thanks: 0
Thanked 241 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Cat on the wall young Florida Panther. Cat described.. Bobcat, we have them in Sunset Pointe.
  #29  
Old 04-01-2020, 11:43 AM
stargirl stargirl is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19
Thanks: 13
Thanked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Next time you see him open the door and yell “hey Bob”. If he comes it’s probably a bobcat. . . Sorry I’ve been cooped up in the house too long!
  #30  
Old 04-01-2020, 01:56 PM
bigbobdog bigbobdog is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
bobcat.
Steve
yep, bobcat or lynx. Saw a lynx at griffin state park a year ago. Linda
Closed Thread

Tags
neighbors, florida, panthers, strange, night

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.