Straws!

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Default Straws!

My husband and I are now asking servers at restaurants to please hold back the straws. After reading the facts about how many straws we use in the U.S. each year - 500 million DAILY - enough to circle earth 2.5 times! And they for the most part can't be recycled and end up in our landfills and our oceans. The Great Pacific garbage patch is twice the size of France and contains nearly 80,000 tons of plastic. I hope people will read this and will also ask their servers to hold back the straws.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

I wish those flimsy one time use bags from ALL RETAIL STORES would get banned and force people to buy reusable bags; that would cut down on a lot of plastic waste.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

That's definitely the last straw.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:30 PM
Gold member

We try to always remember to take in our reusable bags. A habit I got into working in the Bay Area. There no one gives shoppers bags. You can purchase them or bring your own. That’s the way it should be everywhere.
I do love using a straw, but will be changing to a Bamboo or glass straw that I carry with me.
I read the same article as the OP and it’s frightening how huge the Great Pacific Garbage Patch or Pacific Trash Vortex actually is. They believe it is the size of Mexico. And we still don’t recycle or stop using shopping bags. Reflects pretty poorly on us all.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Platinum member
Smile I prefer straws.

I prefer to drink through a straw at public restaurants for sanitary reasons. Too many food preparers handle drinks by the rim of the glass.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I prefer to drink through a straw at public restaurants for sanitary reasons. Too many food preparers handle drinks by the rim of the glass.
That’s another reason why I will be carrying my own!
Old 06-09-2018, 05:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglow View Post
My husband and I are now asking servers at restaurants to please hold back the straws. After reading the facts about how many straws we use in the U.S. each year - 500 million DAILY - enough to circle earth 2.5 times! And they for the most part can't be recycled and end up in our landfills and our oceans. The Great Pacific garbage patch is twice the size of France and contains nearly 80,000 tons of plastic. I hope people will read this and will also ask their servers to hold back the straws.
If you got these "facts" from the internet, then they must be true.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-09-2018, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Next someone will want hand sanitizer's at each table.
For you germ a phobics..Just imagine how many germs have been transmitted by the simple act of pulling you chair up
let alone a server handling your glass

Last they shouldn't have tooth picks at the door..Imagine how many trees will be save.
Or they should pass a law..Tooth Picks can only be made from storm damaged trees

Last edited by karostay; 06-09-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
For you germ a phobics..Just imagine how many germs have been transmitted by the simple act of pulling you chair up
How about the lemon they put in your tea. Do you think it clean before it went in.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 06-09-2018, 06:29 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post

Last they shouldn't have tooth picks at the door..Imagine how many trees will be save.
Or they should pass a law..Tooth Picks can only be made from storm damaged trees
I think they should have hand sanitizers at the table. Some of the salt and pepper shakers are disgustingly sticky, never thought about the chairs but you are right. I like that fact that Lowe's has them at the entrance to clean the shopping cart handles.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Not quite straw-related, but...

About 20 years ago (during a period of countless air miles), I was on a SWA flight...going....somewhere. Time for beverage service and I asked for my usual Diet Coke.

The middle-aged Flight Attendant came back with the tray of filled plastic cups. I noticed that her routine for serving was to place one of those small napkins centered directly on the rim-then she would "claw" the drink from the top, only touching the napkin, and pass it over. I noticed that she did that each time.

Later on I spoke with her. She said "that's how I was trained". I wrote to the President of SWA complimenting her by name and recommended that this be a Standard in flight service. Got a boiler-plate letter back.

Imagine the bacteria and germs that could be transmitted by a busy FA hands over the flight time - especially the hand-to-mouth incidental contact during that drink-sip. Among the countless ways to pick up illness 'up there'.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
If you got these "facts" from the internet, then they must be true.
I know you're just trying to be facetious, but the internet has allowed everyone to do their own research, determine what are actual facts and not depend on what "someone said"...which is often driven by emotional , knee-jerk reactions with an agenda.

Some people don't want to know actual facts and are happier that way, while other, more intellectually curious people...do.

Put me in the column of...Facts Matter.

As for straws, they are but one component of the trash fouling our environment...with personal water bottles being another.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Does anyone remember paper straws? They were biodegradable. It seems one of our giant live oaks could make a lot of paper straws and there would be no need for social action. If I carried a glass straw in the bottom of my purse, I am pretty sure I would die of an unspeakable illness. I have no idea what's been down in there. Or is down in there at the moment.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglow View Post
It's actually been determined, with scientific study...to be even bigger than that..

Great Pacific Garbage Patch now three times the size of France - CNN

Quote:
According to a three-year study published in Scientific Reports Friday, the mass known as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is about 1.6 million square kilometers in size -- up to 16 times bigger than previous estimates. That makes it more than double the size of Texas.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:58 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Does anyone remember paper straws? They were biodegradable. It seems one of our giant live oaks could make a lot of paper straws and there would be no need for social action. If I carried a glass straw in the bottom of my purse, I am pretty sure I would die of an unspeakable illness. I have no idea what's been down in there. Or is down in there at the moment.
I've had people recently told me paper straws were being used in restaurants again. I watched an add about some poor sea turtle that had plastic straws stuck in his nostrils which was causing him to partially suffocate. I think his prank with his turtle friends went amiss!
Closed Thread

Tags
straws, hold, back, servers, garbage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.