Straws!

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I am really confused. If you cannot put junk mail in the postal trash can, then why can you put in paper, plastic, and cans? These are all things that you are supposed to recycle.
I don't understand your question. I think we should have a can for junk mail. Perhaps we need a can for dog poop too.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

My question is what can I put in the 5 cans that are at my mailbox now? It seems as though, if I can put bottles and cans in it, I should also be able to put in the junk mail. I don't go to the mailbox to eat apples and meat, or to brew coffee. Isn't it pretty obvious that whoever decided to install 5 trash cans at the mailboxes intended for them to be used for junk mail?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 07-19-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My question is what can I put in the 5 cans that are at my mailbox now? It seems as though, if I can put bottles and cans in it, I should also be able to put in the junk mail. I don't go to the mailbox to eat apples and meat, or to brew coffee. Isn't it pretty obvious that whoever decided to install 5 trash cans at the mailboxes intended for them to be used for junk mail?
I think you're asking permission to throw your recyclables away in the trash. I get your point because there are no public recycle bins anywhere in TV. It becomes a personal choice and boils down to how serious one is about recycling.

A good first step would be to install recycle bins beside the trash cans in the public spaces.

And for anyone who thinks that would be ugly, so are land fills, plus they smell!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think you're asking permission to throw your recyclables away in the trash. I get your point because there are no public recycle bins anywhere in TV. It becomes a personal choice and boils down to how serious one is about recycling.

A good first step would be to install recycle bins beside the trash cans in the public spaces.

And for anyone who thinks that would be ugly, so are land fills, plus they smell!
That sounds reasonable. The "refuse" is different and going to different places. Removing waste cans altogether just seemed unrealistic.

It is a personal choice still, and no one way in itself is going to change global warming, it is just moving our arms and legs. REALISM is required. It is like the old saying, "every little bit helps, the old lady said as she peed in the sea". We all want to stop it, but unless the whole world participates it is a downhill slope. Lecturing others won't change them anymore than passing MORE laws about guns and drugs. We each need to do what we think is right. Lecturing people is like marching. It just ****es people off it they aren't on your wavelength.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-20-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:04 AM

I invested in some stainless steel and glass straws. I use the wider glass straws for smoothies so I can see better to clean them. The stainless steel for iced tea, selzer etc. I wash them right away. I use them everyday! I also carry a small container of hand sanitizer so I can use whenever I feel is necessary. At a restaurant, when someone shakes my hand, etc.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:06 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

The whole problem in our world starts with straws.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
The whole problem in our world starts with straws.
How so? We don't use straws at home. Assuming the glass has been washed in a dishwasher in restaurants, they shouldn't be germy. If it eases the minds of those who worry, I would be willing to give up straws forever.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-20-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That sounds reasonable. The "refuse" is different and going to different places. Removing waste cans altogether just seemed unrealistic.

It is a personal choice still, and no one way in itself is going to change global warming, it is just moving our arms and legs. REALISM is required. It is like the old saying, "every little bit helps, the old lady said as she peed in the sea". We all want to stop it, but unless the whole world participates it is a downhill slope. Lecturing others won't change them anymore than passing MORE laws about guns and drugs. We each need to do what we think is right. Lecturing people is like marching. It just ****es people off it they aren't on your wavelength.
I couldn't disagree with you more. Realism isn't required, IMO. Action is. Now, by everyone, no matter how small.

If the younger people in our family, of which there are 12, at all represent the attitudes of their generation, something more will be done as soon as we're out of the way. Education is the key; pressure can be brought to bear. All of us old far!s will fade away, and they will be left with the power.

Until then, I'll do what I can.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I couldn't disagree with you more. Realism isn't required, IMO. Action is. Now, by everyone, no matter how small.

If the younger people in our family, of which there are 12, at all represent the attitudes of their generation, something more will be done as soon as we're out of the way. Education is the key; pressure can be brought to bear. All of us old far!s will fade away, and they will be left with the power.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:

Please do.

If I felt that the world would be better if people all gave to a fund for research for rare disorders and I believed that with my whole heart, I could probably win the favor of young children for my cause and the cause IS a good one, BUT....Not everyone has exactly the same view of what they hold most important and how they see ANY situation. We may feel our way to deal with global warming is the right way. Global warming is a serious issue, but the answer may lie in science and converting Ozone and squelching volcanoes and stop making anything of plastic. I think we have all successfully defined the problem, but all the straws given up in this world is not going to stop global warming.

I love children and I can see that they are frightened to death right now of being shot at school, but the answers they have may not be the best answers. I think older, more experienced people need to see that they are protected, instead of changing laws that will NOT stop a mentally ill person from killing innocent kids. No one needs an assault rifle. I have never even touched a gun, we don't have them, but how I look at it and you look at it are at odds. I would like to have one if I ever need one.

I wonder what will happen to the young man who is so vocal about the shooting he survived in Broward county. Will he do better than those who are not activists? Time will tell. I wish we never had to be discussing this at all.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-20-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Sage

Quote:

China and India are responsible for the vast majority of ocean trash .
The above aside ,I recently collected a number of relatively straight twigs . Then I went to the Villages Wood Shop and drilled holes thru the center . I washed them and now carry a couple with me wrapped in paper towel to use instead of any type of straw that might be offered .
Everyone should do this .
Old 07-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Please do.

If I felt that the world would be better if people all gave to a fund for research for rare disorders and I believed that with my whole heart, I could probably win the favor of young children for my cause and the cause IS a good one, BUT....Not everyone has exactly the same view of what they hold most important and how they see ANY situation. We may feel our way to deal with global warming is the right way. Global warming is a serious issue, but the answer may lie in science and converting Ozone and squelching volcanoes and stop making anything of plastic. I think we have all successfully defined the problem, but all the straws given up in this world is not going to stop global warming.

I love children and I can see that they are frightened to death right now of being shot at school, but the answers they have may not be the best answers. I think older, more experienced people need to see that they are protected, instead of changing laws that will NOT stop a mentally ill person from killing innocent kids. No one needs an assault rifle. I have never even touched a gun, we don't have them, but how I look at it and you look at it are at odds. I would like to have one if I ever need one.

I wonder what will happen to the young man who is so vocal about the shooting he survived in Broward county. Will he do better than those who are not activists? Time will tell. I wish we never had to be discussing this at all.
I can certainly agree with you that it is a sad state to have to be discussing this at all, GG.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigirl View Post
I invested in some stainless steel and glass straws. I use the wider glass straws for smoothies so I can see better to clean them. The stainless steel for iced tea, selzer etc. I wash them right away. I use them everyday! I also carry a small container of hand sanitizer so I can use whenever I feel is necessary. At a restaurant, when someone shakes my hand, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
China and India are responsible for the vast majority of ocean trash .
The above aside ,I recently collected a number of relatively straight twigs . Then I went to the Villages Wood Shop and drilled holes thru the center . I washed them and now carry a couple with me wrapped in paper towel to use instead of any type of straw that might be offered .
Everyone should do this .
I am very interested in these ideas. Especially the glass and stainless steel straws, since those are pre-made. Amazon has these.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
It is an excellent idea to install recycle bins at each postal station.
Makes it easy for residents to do the right thing!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
It is an excellent idea to install recycle bins at each postal station.
Makes it easy for residents to do the right thing!

Closed Thread

Tags
straws, hold, back, servers, garbage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.