Streaming Movies From Netflix

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Gold member
Default Streaming Movies From Netflix

We gave up streaming movies some time ago from Netflix because of constant start and stopping to re-load. We have had not had similar problems since we started streaming movies from Amazon. Netflix rep tells me that the issue was due to limited bandwidth provided by Comcast. We now have service from Centurylink and wonder if anyone can advise of their experience streaming movies from Netflix via Centurylink. I would like to give it a try because Netflix has better selection than Amazon does with their Prime free movies.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

Have used Comcast for over a year to stream Netflix and no problem with buffering.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have Century Link and 10 megabits/sec (10 Mbps) nominal download service. We routinely stream 2 Hi-Def movies/shows from Netflix via Roku boxes and do not see any issues. Netflix is "adaptive" - it will adjust the resolution of the video stream to match the download performance - more bandwidth means higher resolution up to the maximum of 1080p (unless you subscribe to their 4k (2160p) service and have a 4k TV). You need about 3-4 megabits/second of download performance to stream 720p (the lowest Hi-Def resolution) and around 5-6 Mbps for 1080p. You would probably need to signup with CenturyLink for 20 or 40 Mbps to stream 4k (2160p).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
We gave up streaming movies some time ago from Netflix because of constant start and stopping to re-load. We have had not had similar problems since we started streaming movies from Amazon. Netflix rep tells me that the issue was due to limited bandwidth provided by Comcast. We now have service from Centurylink and wonder if anyone can advise of their experience streaming movies from Netflix via Centurylink. I would like to give it a try because Netflix has better selection than Amazon does with their Prime free movies.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:14 PM
Platinum member

I was having similar problems, and I found the page below to be very helpful. I relocated my wireless router much closer to my TV and it works much better now.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/85

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 01-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Have used Comcast for over a year to stream Netflix and no problem with buffering.
Me too-- try getting your router off the floor (if that's where it is) and/or move it closer to the TV --as Quirky 3 said
Old 01-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Gold member

Appreciate the responses. Our router is located close to TV and off the floor. We have 10Mbps service from Centurylink and a check this morning with 3 different speed checks using different providers and locations all report that we are getting about 19 Mbps download speed.

Think I will give Netflix another try.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

That is an excellent point. There are two issues here. One is the bandwidth coming into your house and the second is the bandwidth from your router to your Roku/AppleTV/TV if you are using Wi-FI to connect your router to your Roku/AppleTV/TV. You can get a good feel for the Wi-FI bandwidth by downloading an internet speedtest app to your smartphone (if you have one) and then stand next to your TV and see what sort of bandwidth you are seeing.

If you have poor Wi-FI performance to your TV there are a couple of options if you can't move the router closer to the TV. One option is a so-called "WiFi extender". This is a box that will extend your Wi-FI signal and would typically be place centrally in your house. Another option is "ethernet through your electrical wires". These are boxes that use your electrical wiring as a network. You put one box near your router and another box near your TV. The boxes plug into your electrical outlets and connect to the router and TV via cat5 ethernet cable. Both options are pretty cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
I was having similar problems, and I found the page below to be very helpful. I relocated my wireless router much closer to my TV and it works much better now.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/85
Old 01-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you are seeing 19 Mbps download performance then you most likely have the 20 Mbps service. I don't fully understand Century Link's pricing. It appears that 10, 20, and 40 may all be priced the same after the first year. Regardless, you have plenty of bandwidth to the router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
Appreciate the responses. Our router is located close to TV and off the floor. We have 10Mbps service from Centurylink and a check this morning with 3 different speed checks using different providers and locations all report that we are getting about 19 Mbps download speed.

Think I will give Netflix another try.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
same here no issues
Old 01-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Platinum member

I forgot to mention that I also upgraded my Comcast internet speed to the "Performance" level for an additional $10. / month. It pays for itself in streaming and downloaded material, as well as much less frustrating waiting when using the computer.

You can measure your performance level "real time" using this link:
XFINITY Speed Test

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.