Streaming Television

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2020, 09:07 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,060 Times in 529 Posts

I had Directv for 120 a month and Spectrum Internet for 80.00 a month... so was paying $200.00 a month. I dropped direct, and went with Spectrum cable.... which bundled my Internet and now I'm paying 90 something a month for both Internet and cable. I'm happy.... I also have a Firestick on each TV and watch Prime and Netflix. I really like Spectrum cable.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
you're better off with firestick 4-K and streaming service. service cost $9.95/mth and gives you 5,000 channels. all local, all sports and much more. Contact me and I can set you up. jedalton@gmail.com. The Villages Firestick guy. min of 35 Mbs for streaming.

Dalton Consulting Services
you may want to try this streaming service
Google
Does this include DVR?
Old 11-26-2020, 09:16 AM

I use youtube tv and LOVE it. $65 /mo and you can share it with 2 other users. Unlimited DVR space. Customizable guide so you only see the channels you want and in the order you want. Tried it with free trial and never went back!!! I have 100 mbps with Xfinity (Comcast) - not sure if that much is needed but I have never had an issue.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:32 AM

We have YouTubeTV over Comcast internet (200mb service) and have been very satisfied.

Also have and use Netflix and Prime Video extensively. Enjoy Pluto for Johnny Carson channel/ shows at night.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:57 AM

TV has a Cord Cutters club. I tis also a website. Lots of information.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
Tell us more about your OTA? What part of TV do you live?
Get all the major networks OTA. NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX. Plus The CW and a lot of sub channels that carry old movies and TV shows. I’ll tell you if you’re not into cable “news networks “ or a lot of sports OTA and free streaming networks like Pluto TV and Crackle is the way to go. Total cost: $0.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
you're better off with firestick 4-K and streaming service. service cost $9.95/mth and gives you 5,000 channels. all local, all sports and much more. Contact me and I can set you up. jedalton@gmail.com. The Villages Firestick guy. min of 35 Mbs for streaming.

Dalton Consulting Services
you may want to try this streaming service
Google
I'm not the morality police - trust me.

But I think you need to be upfront about what you're recommending here. Sportziptv is known as an "iptv" service that carries "streams" of what would ordinarily be premium-based ($$$) content. In other words, for a small monthly fee, the home viewer would have "free" access to tons of content regular users would have to pay the normal subscription fee for. If a content provider (movie studio or company that owns the distribution rights to premium content like movies/tv shows/sports) finds people have been accessing it in this way, those people could be on the hook for a lot money in damages.

Now, will users of such a service get caught? Probably not, if they take the proper precautions. Even the sportziptv web page warns people should get a "VPN" (virtual private network) that masks/hides one's real internet address. No one needs to do that for legal services.

You're also posting your own affiliate link here - the "aff=1044" part of the URL you're linking to, which means you get some kind of cash back or free access or whatever their affiliate relationship is. You should be making that obvious, too.

A lot of people are newbies where it comes to streaming online services. Throw out a "you can get everything you want for $9.95 / month" to new people looking to cut costs and they think they've found TV/Movie/Sports nirvana. What they've found is "theft of service", and common sense would tell anyone that if these services like YouTube TV or Hulu or Disney+, etc., are charging up to or over $60 / month what you're promoting for $9.95, something's not kosher.

If people want a "service" like iptv, go for it. But know in advance exactly what it is you're going for, because there is some potential legal/financial jeopardy in doing so. What I'm concerned about is uninformed people who just think this is some kind of crazy "secret" legit deal that just happens to get them the viewing options they want much, much cheaper than their neighbors. "If it's too good to be true..." applies.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

For a comparison of channel lineups between youtube TV, philo TV, fubo TV, sling, AT&T TV and Hula Live as of November 2020 go to this link and scroll down.

Hulu vs. YouTube TV vs. Sling TV vs. AT&T TV Now vs. more: Channel lineups compared - CNET

In streaming, youtube TV appears to have the most offerings, the only real omissions would be the NFL Network and A&E, since A&E dropped their show Live PD I don't care to support them anyway.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:23 AM
Send a message via ICQ to GregG7 Send a message via AIM to GregG7

I have Hulu + Live TV streaming thru a Roku ultra. I'm very happy with it. I don't miss cable TV one bit.
Each person needs to figure out what is right for them. The channel offerings are a little different between the different streaming services. Look at what channels each streaming service offers and what one fits your needs the best.
25MHz internet bandwidth is enough to stream a 4K signal. But if the 25Mhz bandwidth occasionally drops, you may experience buffering, or if you want to stream to more than one device at the same time you will probably need more than 25Mhz of bandwidth.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:34 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default OTA antennas

Quote:
Originally Posted by matandch View Post
I use a hybrid of an OTA antenna with Sling TV. 69 channels OTA + 50 channels from Sling. Total 119 channels. Sling basic package costs $30/mo. 25 mps internet works fine for 3 TVs.
OTA antenna's won't work for most parts of TV due to the distance to the closest tower, which is in Orlando.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
We're probably going to streaming television. Would appreciate recent experience from folks who are doing this already.

Between Hulu + Live TV and YouTube TV, is one clearly better than the other?

What is the minimum internet upload stream for successful streaming?

Thanks.
Who is your internet provider? Ours is Century Link. We started out with Hulu but got a lot of buffering to a very annoying level. Then my husband went to a few Cut the Cord group meetings a year or so ago, and they suggested YouTubeTV. One thing they liked about it is there is a guide that's is easy to get to. Shows you every channel and what's playing or going to play.

We have had very little buffering with You Tube. I'm happy with it, but the price has jumped to near the amount we were paying DirecTV.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:54 AM

What about an antenna? One time purchase of $100, free TV for life. If you haven't watched TV over the air in 20 years. you need to see what your missing.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:03 AM

We like YouTubeTV. It has all the channels we would want. TCM, Golf Channel, B10 Network plus many others, along with unlimited DVR. What we also like about it is that we can also use it when we go north. You only have to go into app and change zip code and it will change your local channels. The only problem we had was using Xfinity/Comcast we were having a lot of buffering. Added a mesh WiFi extender and our problem was solved. The buffering wasn’t just for YouTubeTV, I think you might have same buffering problem using any of the apps. Something to consider when you decide to stream.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:10 AM

I have Netflix, hulu, and amazon prime and also havr a ruku tv. I do have cable but rarely watch it. I should cancel cable. I also am building a second home in Maine lake region and will NOT have cable.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:11 AM

I bought a Freestream box from local Villager, Jerry Dillen, and am very, VERY happy with it. I get live television, local channels, sports and movies galore. Essentially I can search up ANYthing that has ever been broadcast. All that is required is an internet connection (which you have to have anyway, right, for email, surfing and such). So for the one time price of $350.00...you're done. Search Jerry up on Facebook or email him at mrdills96@gmail.com. He is nice as can be and will come install the device and tutor you on using it.
Closed Thread

Tags
streaming, television, upload, internet, minimum

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.