Street has 40 homes- why are house numbers 4 digits?

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2022, 04:47 PM

Did you know that "2nd" is a most common street name than "1st". The reason is because "1st" street usually becomes "Main" street. I learned that from Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. I think that is the only thing I learned from that show.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:30 PM
Default Minneapolis is like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I've been in most every major city in the USA and I've never seen a system like that. Street #'s may increase in that way, not house numbers. Every city/town adopts it's own numbering system, based on convenience and safety. If a house/building number consist of more than 3 or 4 numbers, the preceding numbers are likely a "grid #" of one sort or another.
Minneapolis is exactly like that, including N-S streets numbered and E-W streets named as Avenues. As a bonus, Avenue named are grouped (like famous military names, trees, flowers, etc). You know 5805 York Ave South is 58 blocks South from city center, and in the military group. If they hadn’t dropped 1000 lakes inside the city, it’d be a piece of cake to get around.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:01 AM

I think some streets were in place before the villages bought the land and the addresses are converted to city of "the villages" so that's why they may have to use a specific range of numbers?
Old 12-02-2022, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Our previous home, they came up with a policy that if your home was an even number you could only water your lawn on even days. Our home had two different addresses old system was two digits new system was four-one was even and one was odd. So I could water odd or even. I didn't water much there or here.
All was fine until they did the census. We got the form for our old system and new system. I tried to explain it to the staff. I did it three times. They ended up sending a sweet old lady who told me to forget truth just fill out the second form. So we were counted twice.
Closed Thread

Tags
street, house, addresses, numbers, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.