Street legal (LSV) gas carts

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
an lsv has most of the safety features of an automobile. how could it be an accident waiting to happen. I suggest you find out what an lsv is before commenting on its safety.
because you are limited to a speed 10mph below the rest of traffic in effect making you an impediment to traffic flow, as such you are far more open to an accident, and those additional features won't help much if you are in an accident with a real car.....
Old 02-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

My personal observation is that any gas golf cart can be converted to a maximum 25 MPH street legal. I have lots of them fly by me. Just need to add the seat belts and pay the license and insurance costs and you have a gas LSV. I'm not sure if the plastic windshields pass muster but looking at electric LSV they seem to have the same windshields as standard carts. Also will need to get a VIN. So while no manufacturer I can find is yet selling a gas LSV perhaps any souped up gas cart will qualify. The local police seem to find gas LSV all the time.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
because you are limited to a speed 10mph below the rest of traffic in effect making you an impediment to traffic flow, as such you are far more open to an accident, and those additional features won't help much if you are in an accident with a real car.....
35MPH is the maximum speed allowed on those streets, not the miminum. Much of the traffic is going at a slower speed. (bicycles, scooters, tractors, rollerbladers, stilt walkers) Drivers of "real cars" have to learn how to share the road. There is another lane a little to to the left for the faster drivers to use so the slower traffic in the right lane is not an impediment to traffic flow.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Maybe tomorrow???
Whew, made it through today!
Old 02-11-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
Everyone seems to be getting off subject. Op was asking about gas lsv's.

Rollie
Thank you for stating that! Now, to get back to the original question. Does anyone know of local dealers who sell gas powered LSV's? So far, the answer seems to be no.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Thank you for stating that! Now, to get back to the original question. Does anyone know of local dealers who sell gas powered LSV's? So far, the answer seems to be no.
Honestly Chazz...you've wasted an entire day reading through all the BS about LSV's, which had nothing to do with your question.

Don't you think it would be much easier [and informative] to just call a few cart dealers and ask them the question.

TOTV is not always the right place to ask a question, if you want a serious answer.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Smart cars weigh 1800 lbs and golf carts weigh 900 lbs. How many times would the golfer be restarting the engine in a round?
and many more reasons
Going down another path, GEM Cars fall into the street legal and golf course play category, but they are electric. They weigh between 1100 and 1300 pounds. Last year we were playing golf on Ameila nine at Mallory, and I believe it was the 5th hole. There are several small mogul type hills down the left side and the group in front of us had stopped. We walked up to see what was going on and the fellow had a 4 seater GEM and the front and back wheels were both off the grounds since he had the car suspended between a couple of hills. We all got behind the car and pushed off the hill.

The Villages Florida

If the Smart Car was to his liking, since he does have the Par Car for golf, I would go with the subcompact. I've heard some negative feedback on the Smart Car, engine noise, heat, sluggish gear shift, etc. I haven't driven one but I would give a look at the Scion IQ. I've seen one at MVP several times and it's a nice looking little car.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-11-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Honestly Chazz...you've wasted an entire day reading through all the BS about LSV's, which had nothing to do with your question.

Don't you think it would be much easier [and informative] to just call a few cart dealers and ask them the question.

TOTV is not always the right place to ask a question, if you want a serious answer.
I read pretty quickly, thank you. Although I haven't gotten a lead that I had hoped for, it may be because there are no such dealers. If I had gotten, or will get, a lead from TOTV, I will pass it on to my buddy. To me, that is far preferable to making a bunch of calls. In addition, the message might be of value to others who have an interest in the subject.

I would rather not put up with likely sales pitches from various dealers, particularly, when I'm not the prospective customer. My buddy is.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzjr View Post
35MPH is the maximum speed allowed on those streets, not the miminum. Much of the traffic is going at a slower speed. (bicycles, scooters, tractors, rollerbladers, stilt walkers) Drivers of "real cars" have to learn how to share the road. There is another lane a little to to the left for the faster drivers to use so the slower traffic in the right lane is not an impediment to traffic flow.
I didn't realise ir was a sharing discussion, I thought it was real world and the few accidents were probably not 'sharers' but the outcomes not good.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Going down another path, GEM Cars fall into the street legal and golf course play category, but they are electric. They weigh between 1100 and 1300 pounds. Last year we were playing golf on Ameila nine at Mallory, and I believe it was the 5th hole. There are several small mogul type hills down the left side and the group in front of us had stopped. We walked up to see what was going on and the fellow had a 4 seater GEM and the front and back wheels were both off the grounds since he had the car suspended between a couple of hills. We all got behind the car and pushed off the hill.

The Villages Florida

If the Smart Car was to his liking, since he does have the Par Car for golf, I would go with the subcompact. I've heard some negative feedback on the Smart Car, engine noise, heat, sluggish gear shift, etc. I haven't driven one but I would give a look at the Scion IQ. I've seen one at MVP several times and it's a nice looking little car.

The Villages Florida

A manual diesel model Smart car would be great around here. They are highly sought in Rome and other cities.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Sage

Why?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.