Street signs still down since the storm

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2017, 12:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts
Default Street signs still down since the storm

As you exit the Mallory gate and before you get to the round-a-bout, there are two street sign poles which are still laying on the ground. I've called community standards and the CDD and they weren't sure who was responsible for these signs. I was told they would look into it. That was three days ago and the signs are still lying on the ground.

Just wondering if your community has any street signs that are laying on the ground since the storm. I would think this should have been taken care of already. Isn't this a safety issue?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Road & Bridge | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Old 11-10-2017, 12:29 AM
Sage

We were out of town last week and when we went to Laurel Manor Rec Center today we saw that all of the remnants of the huge oak tree that fell near the rec building had been removed along with the debris dumped there that shouldn't have been.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:43 AM

What would the majority vote for, street signs or golf course reopening? Look at if from the perspective that they have not cleaned up parts of Lady Lake yet where there was much more to do than here. Only my opinion
Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
So.....it is Sumter County responsible for putting the signs up? Wonder why the two people I spoke to from TV didn't know that. I'll call the number on this website and see what they have to say. Thanks for the information.

Anyone have any signs down yet in your neighborhood?
Old 11-10-2017, 08:03 AM
Gold member
Default Apples and oranges...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doran View Post
What would the majority vote for, street signs or golf course reopening? Look at if from the perspective that they have not cleaned up parts of Lady Lake yet where there was much more to do than here. Only my opinion
golf courses taken care of by the villages...those street signs are taken care of by city/county gov't. Your comparison is useless.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Most signs which were knocked down, the bolts were sheared off at the concrete.
So the bolts that were sheared off are being drilled out from the concrete and new bolts Reset in new concrete.
I would think it would take a little while before they reset the signs.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

The sign at Bailey Trail/Sunset Ridge has been down since the storm.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Sage

I never think to worry about the signs being down and who should I call to put them back up.

I also don't call the electric company when we lose power.

I absolutely believe that it is someone's job to fix things of this sort and they will fix it.

I worry about a lot of other things but not stuff like when were they coming for the hurricane debris.

It doesn't reflect on any of us badly and surely will be corrected. I have wondered WHY a few folks had their selves all upset over when the palm fronds would leave. It was a state wide problem and really caused NO harm to anyone while they were laying there in the piles.

I don't understand why it drove a few people crazy.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
So I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house
"Hey! What gives you the right?"
"To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in"
"If God was here he'd tell you to your face, man, you're some kinda sinner"
Old 11-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I absolutely believe that it is someone's job to fix things of this sort and they will fix it.

I worry about a lot of other things but not stuff like when were they coming for the hurricane debris.
Gracie,
I see where you are coming from. However, I have always been more proactive about "things".

Re: hurricane debris removal; there was a small stretch of Odell Circle in the vicinity of the Odell Rec Center that was trashed with hurricane debris. Two of the storm drains were completely filled with debris, the drains were not visible at all. The entire stretch of Odell Circle from the Mallory Gate to the Hadley gate was pristine clean. That is the stretch of road I travel on all the time so I was able to see the road clean up.

I waited, and waited and waited for that small stretch (about 1/16 of a mile) to be tended to. I finally called The Villages about two weeks ago and asked who was responsible for cleaning the streets such as Odell Circle and I was told it was Sumter County. I then called Sumter County and informed them of the stretch of Odell Circle that was neglected, including the completely full storm drains. Within less than 48 hours, that stretch of Odell Circle was cleaned and is now pristine clean once again.

I think it might have been my phone call that alerted the county that this stretch of road was ignored.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Gracie,
I see where you are coming from. However, I have always been more proactive about "things".

Re: hurricane debris removal; there was a small stretch of Odell Circle in the vicinity of the Odell Rec Center that was trashed with hurricane debris. Two of the storm drains were completely filled with debris, the drains were not visible at all. The entire stretch of Odell Circle from the Mallory Gate to the Hadley gate was pristine clean. That is the stretch of road I travel on all the time so I was able to see the road clean up.

I waited, and waited and waited for that small stretch (about 1/16 of a mile) to be tended to. I finally called The Villages about two weeks ago and asked who was responsible for cleaning the streets such as Odell Circle and I was told it was Sumter County. I then called Sumter County and informed them of the stretch of Odell Circle that was neglected, including the completely full storm drains. Within less than 48 hours, that stretch of Odell Circle was cleaned and is now pristine clean once again.

I think it might have been my phone call that alerted the county that this stretch of road was ignored.
Was yours ever picked up?
Old 11-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Was yours ever picked up?
Yes, our storm debris was picked up more than a month ago.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Sage

I finally got around to calling Sumter County about the downed street signs as you exit the Mallory gate. It was no more than 24 hours after I made the phone call, the signs were put up.

One sign was a stop sign as you exit Mallory Square Country Club. The other sign is a 20 mph round-a-bout sign.

This took several phone calls before I finally spoke to the proper people. I have to thank Gracie for posting the Sumter County website which had the phone number I called.

Just wondering.....aren't downed street signs something Neighborhood Watch would call in to the proper people? Why did it take a phone call from me to finally get this taken care of?

Tags
signs, street, ground, community, laying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.