Stringing lights on Stucco Villa

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2021, 08:27 AM
Default Stringing lights on Stucco Villa

Any suggestions . Command tape wont stick due to texturing. Tried a staple gun but all sizes of staples either fell out or bent in the middle. Duct tape stays but is not very aesthetic
Old 10-21-2021, 09:52 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Perhaps something like a putty product? I used to use PlayDough to stick stuff on walls - maybe it would work on stucco?

Old 10-21-2021, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts

I would use a small concrete drill and small plastic inserts with suitable hooks, or you can use the plastic inserts with stainless steel hooks. I have done several of these type installations on our house. If these will be exposed to rain, I add a silicone sealer before inserting the plastic insert, and then after the insert is in place to seal the hole as much as possible.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:37 AM

By “inserts”, are you speaking of the plastic anchors used for drywall. Also what is a good concrete drillbit
Thanks
Old 10-21-2021, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
By “inserts”, are you speaking of the plastic anchors used for drywall. Also what is a good concrete drillbit
Thanks
Yes to the inserts, and the bit will be labeled as a concrete bit, there are several manufacturers, and have not seen any significant differences in quality for NAME brand drills, some imports seem to dull rapidly. You need special equipment to sharpen.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Any suggestions . Command tape wont stick due to texturing. Tried a staple gun but all sizes of staples either fell out or bent in the middle. Duct tape stays but is not very aesthetic
You do not say the weight. Plastic plugs have been mentioned. They are available in many sizes, depending on weight of what you are hanging. They are also available in different colors. You may want to match or get close to the color your house is. If, you are going to use a lot of them, you can buy them by the box the same is true for screws. As far as a carbide drill-cement drill. There are better ones, more expensive ones. I find with an impact drill the cheap bits work just fine. Sharpening the bits? You can sharpen carbide bits but with an impact drill it does not much matter. I use an impact drill, the pounding and turning works far faster than a normal drill. They are not that expensive and you will be surprised how fast it is. What ever drill you use you want to drill to the proper depth. Easy trick is to use tape to mark the bit.

If, you are talking xmas lights there are tons of plastic clips to hang them without drilling holes in your home.

Duct tape-beware it can pull the paint off your house particularly if it stays for a while.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We hung our light on the gutters, which came out very nice
Old 10-21-2021, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,405 Posts

Not putting them on you’re neighbors wall I hope? There easement one his wall. Nothing can touch his wall. At least that’s what my restrictions say in my district.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Tapcon concrete screws available at any hardware store , Lowe’s, HD. The shortest screw they sell should work for your application. The drill bits are for sale in the same area at Lowe’s and HD. Make sure you get the size bit recommended. A hammer drill will make your job easier and a whole lot faster. The screws come in hex head and Phillips head. Hex head is much easier to use. There is no receiver to mess with just screw in concrete. They are all for outdoor applications
Old 10-22-2021, 06:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I would use a small concrete drill and small plastic inserts with suitable hooks, or you can use the plastic inserts with stainless steel hooks. I have done several of these type installations on our house. If these will be exposed to rain, I add a silicone sealer before inserting the plastic insert, and then after the insert is in place to seal the hole as much as possible.
Exactly what I was going to propose.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:27 AM
Default alien tape

New type of removable tape: Alien Tape in hardware stores, ACE etc. Not adhesive exactly, some nano tech thing. Strong grip. See ads.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Aluminum Cable Clips for Stucco surfaces, qty 100 - Walmart.com
Drill hole to depth pinch connector or use pliers
Old 10-22-2021, 10:33 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
I sent you a PM I have what you need.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:56 PM
Platinum member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Not putting them on you’re neighbors wall I hope? There easement one his wall. Nothing can touch his wall. At least that’s what my restrictions say in my district.
WHAT???? hard to understand your replies Topspinmo. Try proof reading before posting...
Old 10-22-2021, 04:59 PM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Yes to the inserts, and the bit will be labeled as a concrete bit, there are several manufacturers, and have not seen any significant differences in quality for NAME brand drills, some imports seem to dull rapidly. You need special equipment to sharpen.
You can get a combination of size concrete drill bits from Harbor Freight.
For less than six bucks...
Closed Thread

Tags
tape, staples, fell, bent, sizes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.