Stucco or Vinyl siding

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I'm not sure who you got a quote from, but 6K is ridiculously high. Designers can be done for 3k-4k. Most CYV's are in the 1,700-2000 range, by reputable, well-established painting companies here in TV.
That quote included the outside wall, I live on corner lot, so I have twice the wall as housing in the middle. Yes, I thought it was ridiculously high. I am still able to most wo4k myself, so I done it.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:20 PM

Sometimes buying a home comes down to what's available in your price range at the time you're ready to buy. Our must list included a new stucco home, inside laundry, 2 car garage etc. What did we end up with? A new vinyl CYV with outside laundry and a 1 1/2 car garage. The home we bought had a great reduced price so we went for it and we're very happy with our decision. So my advice is to keep an open mind and you'll find something you'll be happy with, whether it be vinyl or stucco.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
When looking at houses both new and used U see the same basic houses come in both styles but under a different model name. Of course the stucco is more expensive and probably sturdier with hopefully less upkeep I assume but never owned either type. Do y'all have some input for it against stucco vinyl that I may not know about? Thanks Ken
My vinyl siding home is 20 years old and the siding is still in good condition, if a little faded. It has not been painted or coated in all that time. Stucco needs repainting every 10 years minimum, better 5 to 7 years.

Ask about the insulation R-factor in block and stucco exterior walls versus frame and siding walls. In 1998 the siding walls had better insulation.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Tango View Post
Sometimes buying a home comes down to what's available in your price range at the time you're ready to buy. Our must list included a new stucco home, inside laundry, 2 car garage etc. What did we end up with? A new vinyl CYV with outside laundry and a 1 1/2 car garage. The home we bought had a great reduced price so we went for it and we're very happy with our decision. So my advice is to keep an open mind and you'll find something you'll be happy with, whether it be vinyl or stucco.
Very well stated. We hadn’t sold our home in NY and so our budget for a second home was limited. We thought we wanted a cement villa but decided we wanted the vaulted ceilings more. So yes, budget and location are paramount.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:50 PM

Remember, vinyl is final !! Spray with "Wet and Forget" every 6 mos and no more algae. No need to power wash.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmacowen View Post
Remember, vinyl is final !! Spray with "Wet and Forget" every 6 mos and no more algae. No need to power wash.
Off topic but that Wet and Forget is an outstanding product. BTW, Do you use the shower version or the outside version for concrete on your vinyl siding?
Old 04-03-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
Off topic but that Wet and Forget is an outstanding product. BTW, Do you use the shower version or the outside version for concrete on your vinyl siding?
I get the gallon size at Lowes. When I finish that , I will try the power shot that attaches to the hose. That way I won't have to mix and it is supposed to shoot 30 feet. We'll see. Home depot sells a similar product but not as good. I'v been using W&F for several yrs up north, amazing product. Don't expect it to work overnight. I also use it on my birdcage sunbrella cover, which was covered with black algae. I was told that power washers damage vinyl siding.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neikenberry View Post
Block housing with stucco is much stronger than a wood frame with vinyl siding. During hurricanes, you want block and stucco construction. Also make sure the roof meets hurricane standards. Not only does this make you safer, but you get better insurance rates. Insurance companies know block house are stronger and hurricane rated roofs stay on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgg7933 View Post
It is a personal choice. Block / Stucco cost more to buy and cost more in the long run. The stucco coating cracks and need to be filled and it needs to be painted every 6 - 8 years or so. Both styles need pressure washing about every 9 months since the north facing walls will get mildewed due to lack of sun. Some people believe a block house is stronger and safer. Walls may be stronger but when the roof gets torn off in a hurricane (wood roof attached the same exact way as a stick built/ sided house) you are left with an "above ground pool"! Purely comes down to personal choice and how much you wish to spend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
I bought a stucco house. When shopping for houses I felt the siding was pretty cheap looking and feeling. But what really did it for me was the reports I read about critters like snakes living behind the vinyl siding. That did it for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I’ve had both. Honestly, don’t think you can go wrong with either. The newer vinyl is much improved and you should never have to paint. Also with vinyl you actually get a bit more total square feet. One neighbor I talked with (retired building contractor) preferred the vinyl and said the roofs of both were equal and during high winds (hurricanes) the roof would be first of the house to be damaged and go. He and I both had a hip roof. On the other hand, the block and stucco some like it for its curb appeal. Although I have bought and sold a number of houses, I don’t pretend to know “construction” practices and rely on others expertise who build for a living. From what I’ve been told, the houses here in The Villages are built to code and well built from a construction point of view. Again, my experence you can’t go wrong with a block/stucco or a viny sided house here in The VILLAGES. It’s personal choice.
So I own two Rentals in TV - one is a Jasmine and one a Wisteria, they are one village apart. So basically, same house, different material. Here is my experience.
1. Buy what you like they are both the same - basically
2. The insurance is the same- exept for the roof, a gable roof is more expensive than a hip roof. Stucco vs vinyl no significant difference if roof is the same.
3. Block vs Frame are the same in a Hurricane - we took a direct hit from Irma as a Cat 1 and had no damage on either house. They are rated the same.
4. You have to pressure wash vinyl twice a year and stucco one time a year, but Stucco will crack and need repainting.
5. Never had anything living in the siding, don't even know how they would.
6. The frame is a bit bigger inside, but you have to measure to see it.
7. I have found the power bills to actually be about 20% LOWER in the Vinyl house than the Stucco - not sure why this would be, but it seems to be consistent winter to summer.
8. I have stayed for extended periods in both and never heard the neighbors in either. Not sure noise is an issue at all.
9. One thing is I have looked at adding to Lanai and master bedroom and both, and the frame/Vinyl home is a lot cheaper to add to or modify.

Thats about it. I don't think you can really go wrong with either. The Vinyl will be $10,000 cheaper, but the resale will be $10,000 lower....

Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 04-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Very helpful Ed especially since you own two identical homes near each other but one stucco and one vinyl. Thanks

Last edited by kpd3062; 04-11-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

And lastly, some people prefer the looks of the stucco to vinyl. I do.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Actually our third house was an empty lot that the tornado passed right through it. So I hoping tornados don’t take the same path twice
History indicates that tornados can and have taken the same path twice.

When living in Louisiana, I was living in a house where this same path happened for the second time.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I think the brick homes are in the village next to the cement homes,
So sorry but bricks, cement, cinder blocks are all basically the same in my book. The stucco is just covering the block construction.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
OK. I'll bite. Where are brick homes in The Villages?
Right where I own... if you would rather have be say cement or cinder block or anything else that is fine but I just use the term brick as it is easy.
Closed Thread

Tags
stucco, houses, vinyl, type, owned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.