Stucco or Vinyl siding

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2019, 05:00 PM
Default Stucco or Vinyl siding

When looking at houses both new and used U see the same basic houses come in both styles but under a different model name. Of course the stucco is more expensive and probably sturdier with hopefully less upkeep I assume but never owned either type. Do y'all have some input for it against stucco vinyl that I may not know about? Thanks Ken
Old 03-27-2019, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

I've had both and prefer block/stucco. Vinyl is noisy. You hear rain and irrigation when it hits the siding. The siding gets moldy and fades after a few years. It gets bridle from the sun and breaks fairly easy. Impossible to match existing siding.

You do have to paint stucco. My house is 6 years old and still looks good. A friend had his painted after 9 years.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:42 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Have had both and prefer stucco mower can put holes in the vinyl if they hit debris
Old 03-27-2019, 07:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Have both. After a number of years wind loosen some vinyl and had to refasten. This was up North. Down here the wind from a hurricane could be problem. Lets see if anyone has had problems.
I would go block
Old 03-27-2019, 09:07 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

I’ve had both. Honestly, don’t think you can go wrong with either. The newer vinyl is much improved and you should never have to paint. Also with vinyl you actually get a bit more total square feet. One neighbor I talked with (retired building contractor) preferred the vinyl and said the roofs of both were equal and during high winds (hurricanes) the roof would be first of the house to be damaged and go. He and I both had a hip roof. On the other hand, the block and stucco some like it for its curb appeal. Although I have bought and sold a number of houses, I don’t pretend to know “construction” practices and rely on others expertise who build for a living. From what I’ve been told, the houses here in The Villages are built to code and well built from a construction point of view. Again, my experence you can’t go wrong with a block/stucco or a viny sided house here in The VILLAGES. It’s personal choice.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

First house new built in April 2010 medium gray vinyl, no fading, or issues with losing siding, or damage from any maintenance. Need power washing about every six months. About $60. Today looks about the same as when we purchased.
Second house new, built in November 2012, med beige vinyl, same as first house, no issues.

Third house preowned, built in December 2009, stucco. In 2015 When we purchased, paint was badly faded, on two sides, but otherwise looked ok. Had professionally painted in 2017, for $3995. Since it’s not builders grade paint, it should not have the fading issues of the first color.
The stucco does cost us about the same to heat and cool as the first two, even though it is the largest home. All three have hip roofs, None were effectived by the hurricane.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

If you were here when the February 2007 tornado came through, after seeing the damage your choice would be block and stucco.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:30 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Block is my choice. I love the look.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:36 PM

Thank you all for the great sincere replies. It has been a great help. I'm thinking it's worth the extra money for stucco even if we need to paint it in several years.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If you were here when the February 2007 tornado came through, after seeing the damage your choice would be block and stucco.
Actually our third house was an empty lot that the tornado passed right through it. So I hoping tornados don’t take the same path twice
Old 03-28-2019, 01:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

With all due respect, I beg to expand on your comment. We were here during the Feb 2, 2007 tornado. The Alexa Villas off of Timmonsville Way in Mallory are cement Villas. Most of the Villas in that group had their roofs torn off and their home’s furnishings sucked out. So yes the walls were intact and for the most part withstood the tornado but it still managed to wreak havoc on their homes and their lives. Neighboring vinyl Villas two streets away had minimal damage to their vinyl siding that was relatively easy to repair. The point of my post, there’s really not much protection here from a tornado. Better to go with the look you like.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
With all due respect, I beg to expand on your comment. We were here during the Feb 2, 2007 tornado. The Alexa Villas off of Timmonsville Way in Mallory are cement Villas. Most of the Villas in that group had their roofs torn off and their home’s furnishings sucked out. So yes the walls were intact and for the most part withstood the tornado but it still managed to wreak havoc on their homes and their lives. Neighboring vinyl Villas two streets away had minimal damage to their vinyl siding that was relatively easy to repair. The point of my post, there’s really not much protection here from a tornado. Better to go with the look you like.
We were on Sunset and the designers that were block had roof damage, the vinyl sided homes were condemned and the vinyl patio villas the next street over were destroyed. After seeing the devastation I would much rather be in a block home when a tornado hits without notice. Plus they look so much nicer. Selling agents use the term " all stucco street" as a selling point but you'll never here them say "all vinyl siding street".
Old 03-28-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
We were on Sunset and the designers that were block had roof damage, the vinyl sided homes were condemned and the vinyl patio villas the next street over were destroyed. After seeing the devastation I would much rather be in a block home when a tornado hits without notice. Plus they look so much nicer. Selling agents use the term " all stucco street" as a selling point but you'll never here them say "all vinyl siding street".
I remember when the controversy about whether the contractors were installing the vinyl siding with the required number of fasteners the developer responded by talking about pieces of a vinyl sided home that was destroyed by the tornado but the vinyl siding was still firmly attached to the piece of the wall lying in the street.

That said, the tornado was about 12 years ago. None in this area since.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
I remember when the controversy about whether the contractors were installing the vinyl siding with the required number of fasteners the developer responded by talking about pieces of a vinyl sided home that was destroyed by the tornado but the vinyl siding was still firmly attached to the piece of the wall lying in the street.

That said, the tornado was about 12 years ago. None in this area since.
I hope we aren't due for one we were in the midst of that one and also one in Vero in 2006, that's enough for me.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

The elephant in the room is neighborhoods of the nicest areas are predominantly block. That is not to say vinyl are not nice but as a rule homes on the premium lots are block by a noticeable margin. This carries to homes in less premium lots.

Consider how many premier homes are frame. That trickles down to the designer homes. Much like options on luxurious cars trickle down to the next tier of cars, but only the fully loaded models
Closed Thread

Tags
stucco, houses, vinyl, type, owned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.